PDA

View Full Version : Wrght J-5 Whirlwind engine.

Sturmvogel
28th Sep 2004, 21:26
Just been re-reading Charles Kingsford-Smiths fascinating account of his flying adventures in the 'Southern Cross', etc. The book was written in about 1932 and of course 'Smithy' disapeared on another record breaking flight in a later aircraft in 1935. They only ever found one main wheel I believe, somewhere in Borneo.
As the 'Southern Cross' Fokker was powered by 3x Wright 220 hp Whirlwind engines, the same as had powered Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis, I got to thinking that it would be nice to obtain an old Whirlwind engine for display-the engine is a design icon in that it was the first completely reliable aero engine. I would love to obtain one and restore it for display along with a few other radial engines I have. I'm in the UK so guess that an engine will be rare here but just thought I'd put the word about.

Specnut727
29th Sep 2004, 01:41
G'day Sturmvogel,

Sorry, can't help with leads on an available Whirlwind. There are 3 on the Southern Cross, but obviously they'll stay there.

Would be interested to hear about the other engines in your collection.

Thanks.

Sturmvogel
29th Sep 2004, 09:42
Hi specnut 727
Do you mean the Southern Cross replica? I know nothing about this replica other than one was built a few years ago-is it airworthy? Is it wooden? Where is it based in Australia?

I have an Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah, Pratt and Whitney Twin row Wasp, (1830 type) parts of a Salmson, plus an in line Cirrus 80hp as fitted to the Auster JI Autocrat. In case anyone asks all are well knackered inside, so even for airtworthy parts would not be viable, but I have made them presentable looking. To me the J5 Whirlwind is still the motor I want though-it sums up the golden age of aviation, powering classics like the Bellanca and several desirable sports biplanes of the 1920's.

Specnut727
29th Sep 2004, 22:29
Southern Cross

The replica had a mishap in Adelaide some time ago. One side of the undercarriage collapsed just after take off. Pilot shut everything down and did a great job of landing on one wheel, then dropped one side down, with some engine and wing damage. I'm not sure if it's been repaired or not.

Engines are Jacobs R-755's. Running J-5's are a bit rare.

The original Southern Cross was restored to display condition and put in a display hangar at Brisbane Airport about 25 years ago. When the new airport was built, a new hanger and Kingsford Smith Memorial was built, and it's still on display there. It's an excellent exhibit, complete with lots of info on Smithy's Pacific and other flights. If you're in Brisbane, don't miss it.

Thanks Sturmvogel for the info on your other engines. Good luck with your collecting.

Specnut727
30th Sep 2004, 12:20
G'day again Sturmvogel, please check your PM's