PDA

View Full Version : Help the Aged!

flyingdogguitar
28th Sep 2004, 19:41
Hi everyone,
before anyone says it ,yes I've looked at the "stickies"on this subject. But I'd like to know the general concensus of opinion of my particular situation.
I'm 43 years of age, married to Sue for the last 23 years and have a four year old Son Thomas. I've a PPl for both Fixed Wing and Rotary aircraft, with around 220 Hrs TT. I've had my class One Medical and passed that, and I'm hoping to start my ATPL ground studies in the next couple of weeks with Bristol Ground School - at this point I haven't yet parted with any of my cash. I've already posted a couple of threads on this matter, plus the odd e-mail to guys that are at the sharp-end of things - thanks for that chaps, you know who you are. Also I really need to decide what to do pronto, as I don't want to make a mistake that I may regret. I know that this flying lark(no pun intended!)is a funny old game, and a lot can depend on being at the right place at the right time etc etc. Please don't think from the pessimistic tone that I don't want this. I'd be more than happy to fly around in a TP,or anything else of that ilk. I've been in my current job for over twenty five years now, and I know that my pension many years from now will be pretty reasonable. But the company I which I work for, are currently making huge changes to it's structure and working conditions. It's really is an awful place to work at the moment, there's not a day goes by when I wish I didn't have to go into that place. I'm fully aware as a geriatric wannabe that the chances of me finding employment with someone like Easyjet et al will be pretty remote once I gain a frozen ATPL.
I guess with all of you Guys and Gals out there, the million dollar question is "What would you do if you were in my shoes"

Any advice would be greatly received folks.

Yours Sincerely

Dave

tooyoungtodie
28th Sep 2004, 23:24
You will get a lot of dont bother answers on here, from highly sensible but some what cynical AtPl pilots. All the cynical people are pointing out the fact that there are no guarantees for a job and the older you get the harder it is. I am going to do my training in 4 years time, selling my house nad emmigrating to Florida, I am currently 48 years old and I will be 53 when i start my training. Therfore i dont expect much more than an instructors job. I spoke to an instructor in the states and a friend of his didnt start flying until he was 45 and now is a FAA examiner and a chief pilot for a business airline flying Citation jets. So my advice is listen to them because they are right then ignore them completely because your instincts are more right.

2close
29th Sep 2004, 06:54
One of the instructors at my local club very recently told me of a friend who started training at 56 and has just (within the past six months or so) landed a job flying regionals (pardon incorrect terminology) at 58; nothing more than a lot of application and effort and a certain degreee of right place, right time.

Like yourself, I'm a 43 year old 220 hr PPL who has no desire to do anything but instructing and who's keeping his fingers crossed that the medical tests next month give the desired (and expected) results. Then, hopefully, it's off to SRG for Class 1's and onward and upward.

And of course, food for thought, there are the Age Discrimination Regulations that will come into place in 2006.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

2close

Flypuppy
29th Sep 2004, 07:46
Something similar here Career Change (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146207)

kilobravo
30th Sep 2004, 12:13
Hi Flyingdogguitar.

This topic although not new is still a big debate for me. I am 35yrs old with 115hrs PPL. It took me 3yrs to get what with crap Irish weather, lack of funds, lack of discipline etc. etc. Anyway all this time I have been asking the eternal will I ever make it onto the flight deck? Plagued with doubts about money, my own ability, lack of jobs, others sooooooooo much more qualified, waiting to pounce on the next available rhs and with a lot more rights than me to do so, I have not yet begun the ATPL's. Spending too much time reading PPRUNE, talking to instructors and listening to myself far too much, I have been procratinating for a long time. I am a free lance interior architect with pretty good earning power in Ireland (when I am busy) BUT I AM SO VERY NOT INTERSTED IN MY WORK! Anyway I love been in and around planes and love to read posts like yours along with the replies that go with it, as it gives renewed hopes to others with the similar questions. So thank you to all the 'oldies' out there who started late and have made it, as its inspiring to read your comments and stories. I spoke to a friend of mine who was my old instructor and is now in the rhs of a 737 800. He told me at the time to just do it, and if when qualified there was work out there, that I was at right place right time and also knew the RIGHT PEOPLE then I would work, wether I was 25 or 45. So go for it if you can, I hope to get there myself someday and good luck you all as I have never seen such a convoluted, twisted, complicated, mindboggling path towards a career that I have the misfortune of really wanting.

So best of luck FDG

VH-Cheer Up
30th Sep 2004, 13:01
How can you say it's a convoluted, twisted path to a career?

How many other careers state all the required competencies upfront? How many have the competencies and skills so transparently measurable and regularly checked?

Try drawing a similar career path structure for a bank manager, politician, professional musician or research chemist. Betcha can't!

I say follow your heart, and fulfil your dream. Until you sit in seat0A ever so gently, if not very quietly, lifting 60,000 kg of metal, fluid, people and baggage off the runway and safely to FL310 and beyond, you haven't really lived.

Sure there are boring and scary aspects that plenty of people here will delight in pointing out to you.

But it's better than waiting for the clock to reach 5:30 and the only thing to look forward to, is whether there something new on the telly tonight.

Just my 2 penn'orth.

kilobravo
30th Sep 2004, 13:50
Hi VH

Wrong choice of words with convoluted etc. What I ment was to describe how complicated and far away it all seems from my not so tight circuits and slightly bumpy landings in a C152. All the rules, regs, legislation and ways to achieve your goals, although absolutely necessary for the well being af all, seem very complicated for a lowly houred PPL who cannot, as yet, devote enough time to flying and studying in order to understand all! Step by step I guess, no point looking at the summet from base camp wondering how, if and when.