PDA

View Full Version : Dalaman approach

WHBM
28th Sep 2004, 18:04
Just returned from an IT trip to Dalaman, Turkey. Interesting approach, out south over the Med, then turn north onto downwind, being decidedly close to the terrain both alongside and underneath, then a right base with a significant mountain wall in front to come back heading south onto runway 19.

I don't have approach plates for it but interested to hear from crews about what it's like at night or in cloud, or how to do it !

catchup
28th Sep 2004, 18:57
Last time I've been there approaches at night were NA. This had been most probably changed.

regards

411A
29th Sep 2004, 02:36
Been there many times at night...in fact, only at night.
Usually let the co-pilot fly...as most times I was training 'em.
No particuler problems.
The ground staff is very efficient as well.
Quick turns possible.

expedite_climb
29th Sep 2004, 10:20
Yes, it is a good, fun, approach. ATC is usually pretty good, and they have radar.

There is an ILS approach, and VOR approach to rwy 01, but during the day a sea breeze usually means 19 is in use, with a circling approach. If it is very clear it is actually possible to do a straight in on 19, but I've only done that 3 or 4 times out of over 20 in the last 4 years.

At night the land breeze means it is a straightforward ILS to 01, but some local operators can land on 19 at night with a tailwind if it is more expeditious. Most UK operators ban landing on 19 at night.