PDA

View Full Version : cpl question

Topgun 4122T
28th Sep 2004, 17:27
Hi guy's

Im starting my jaa cpl course very shortly , could someone give me an example/ soultion of a mass and balance calculation that will be required for the skill test ! and also is there any book i should be reading up pn for the skill test ? thanks topgun !

FlyingForFun
28th Sep 2004, 18:30
I find it a little worrying that someone would be about to start a CPL course without knowing how to do a mass+balance calculation. You should have done this for your PPL exams, your PPL skills test, and then again for your ATPL or CPL exams! The exact method is slightly different for every manufacturer and every type, and it's difficult to give examples without graphs (which I obviously can't do here). Go back over your ATPL notes, get hold of the POH for the aircraft you fly regularly, or have a chat with an instructor (PPL or CPL instructor should be able to help you).

For your skills test, the only weight and balance you will have to do is the weight and balance for your aircraft on the day. Ask your examiner his weight before the start of the test, know your weight, and know the weight of any flight cases or anything else you're taknig with you, then put all of these numbers, together with the runway length, pressure setting, temperature, etc, into the graphs or tables for the aircraft you'll be using for your test.

As for books - no, I don't know of any published reference material at all. It's for precisely that reason that I wrote my CPL diary (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108385) - have a read of that, I hope you find it useful.

Good luck!

FFF
-----------

Topgun 4122T
28th Sep 2004, 20:54
fly for fun ,

Thanks for the reply but to state the obvious of course I know how to do a mass and balance calculation !! how do you think I pass the atpl exam with 85% . I just wanted to check that it was just based on the aircraft im flying on the day and it was as streight forward as as getting the weights and moments .

topgun !

Tinstaafl
29th Sep 2004, 06:16
But how was FFF supposed to know these things about you from your first post? Telepathy? Your post gave a very real impression of someone with at least a PPL but unsure about how to do a W&B. The identification of your knowledge was not obvious at all.

Treat the flight test as if you are already a commercial pilot doing just another day's flight and do all those things you know are part & parcel of any flight preparation for that particular aircraft. Good luck!

south coast
30th Sep 2004, 16:54
treat it like any other day....in that case, take your lap top with you dodgy copy of Jepp Flightstar down loaded on, do your nav logs and weght and balance on that and i reckon he'll be really impressed.

:ok:

pipergirl
3rd Oct 2004, 05:42
But how was FFF supposed to know these things about you from your first post? Telepathy? Your post gave a very real impression of someone with at least a PPL but unsure about how to do a W&B. The identification of your knowledge was not obvious at all

I really don't know how you read into this so deeply along with FFF.:confused:

The guy/gal just asked for a typical M+B calculation question they will ask you in the CPL skills test....Hardly an admission of ignorance on the subject of M+B, but more so on the process of the CPL test.
Then (s)he asked for any recommended reading on the CPL skills test.

where's the ambiguity?

willby
3rd Oct 2004, 15:06
Have to agree with Pipergirl!
Willby

Topgun 4122T
4th Oct 2004, 01:27
Well first of all I would like to thank pipergirl who obviously knows how to read a post and interpret it the correct way ! not like some people .

Now " tinstaafl " , what sort of thick reply was that to a post ?
How was fff suppose to know that I could do a mass and balance calculation ! Well that's very obvious and easy to work out . In my post I mentioned that im just about to start my cpl course . well then " Tinstaafl " with that being said do you not know that to start a cpl course you must at least have a ppl and part of a ppl flight test is a mass and balance calculation . I know that you can start a cpl course without the atpl exams if you just plan on instruction for the rest of your days but be honest who the hell does that anymore ? in fact I don't even know of a school that would give an instructing job without the atpl exams anymore.all ! yes I said all atpl exams must be passed and to pass an atpl exams you must get 75% or greater and as far as im concerned to get 75% or greater in an atpl mass and balance exam I reckon you must be able to do a mass and balance calculation , so run along now Id rather have advise from somebody who knows what they are talking about ....topgun...

Keygrip
4th Oct 2004, 04:21
Topgun - the first thing you had better learn on the cpl course is "Attitude" (and I do not mean 'aircraft').

Pinga
4th Oct 2004, 05:52
so run along now Id rather have advise from somebody who knows what they are talking about ....topgun...
In that case, Keygrip is the man you had best take advice from!;)

Fergal20
4th Oct 2004, 09:54
Now now Topgun 4122T, don't be giving us Irish a bad reputation!!!

Topgun 4122T
4th Oct 2004, 12:36
I apologise to a certain degree to my above post as I did come on a bit strong . I was just annoyed at tinstaffle been sarcastic when there was absolutely no need for it . Im just a student looking for a bit of general advise and I thought pprune was the place to get it without somebody trying to have a pop at you .:{
topgun...

Tinstaafl
4th Oct 2004, 16:04
Topgun, you have a strange idea of sarcasm. You also seem incapable of addressing the topic without resorting to insult. Keygrip makes an important point WRT your attitude if you wish to advance in this industry.

Try reading my post again. At no point did I resort to insult in my post. I addressed the point that there is more than one way to read your initial post. To gain the information that in your second post you feel we should have known about you, would take some other method than just reading your initial post.

It's hardly the reader's fault if your command of English written expression is insufficient for you to articulate your thoughts clearly.

Let's try it once more shall we?

"Im starting my jaa cpl course.....calculation for the skill test!" (sic), followed by ...any book I should read for the skill test? (My emphasis).

From that we're supposed to deduce that you meant the theory & exams component of getting a professional licence? And not the required flight training course that alone culminates with a form of examination referred to as a 'skill test'? You mentioned skill tests twice. It's reasonable to conclude that if your cause of concern has a skill test then you must referring to a flight training course and therefore have completed the prerequisite theory & exams.

Now, were my previously alluded to comments as well as the rest of my post:

"Treat the flight test as if you are already a commercial pilot doing just another day's flight and do all those things you know are part & parcel of any flight preparation for that particular aircraft. Good luck!"

really deserving of your comments?

Cabotage Kid
4th Oct 2004, 18:16
Good grief! Lighten up guys and face the fact that you can't judge somebodies attitude based on an Internet posting or 10 and that it is easy to mis-write/read a post.

Patty O'Doors
4th Oct 2004, 19:46
Well, I hope so, Topgun. You know, if there's one thing I've learned from being on prune, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh.

I knew a captain: got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh -- he pooh-poohed it.

Fatal error, because it turned out all along that the pruner who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other pilots, who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs.

In the end, we had to disband the airline -- morale totally destroyed ... by pooh-pooh!