PDA

View Full Version : Second hand JAA ATPL notes?

juliet
28th Sep 2004, 16:36
Anyone out there have jaa atpl notes for all subjects and be willing to sell them on? Failing this does anyone know any schools that will sell second hand notes on behalf of students that have passed the course? would like to start working on the atpl but the whole course cost at a place like bristol gs is a bit off putting. cheers. juliet

daw
28th Sep 2004, 16:58
I wouldn't go 2nd hand. How do you propose to ensure that the notes you buy are up to date nevermind being 100% complete. You going to turn every single page of them and check legibility/completeness? What will you check it against?

You have to enrol in a course anyway and undertake the required classroom training (consolidation) so why not start off with a squeeky clean set of notes now and then have access to the online forums and feedback that the various schools provide.

For the £1k or so as much as it hurts the bank balance it is quite small compared to what you are going to have to outlay during your flight training so better to bite the bullet now.

WX Man
28th Sep 2004, 17:45
That's not the problem. The problem is that you need to be on an approved course, unless you are exempt (which is quite difficult to get).

Cheapest distance learning course I know is with GTS in Bournemouth. Their notes are pretty good as well, and the instructors there (for the brush up courses) are first class.

daw
29th Sep 2004, 08:51
Yes as per the 2nd para of my post you need to be on a course. Check out the link below for the list of approved flight schools. Lasors has all the rules and regulations on exemptions.

If you are looking at "savings" from the overall cost of flight training then the ATPL theory is generally not where they lie. Most people save some money along the way by hour building overseas or even buying shares in aircraft in the UK.

Approved FTO's (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1211)