PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Vs Boeing - Ground Spoilers

bantios
28th Sep 2004, 12:39
Hey guys,
I have been flying the 737 now for a while, currently on the 800 series. As with most Boeing aircraft that I know, upon touchdown, the GRN spoilers activate immediately and fast. I was a passenger on an EK 330 recently, and I noticed when we touched down, the GRN spoilers activated really slow, taking about 4-5 secs to fully extend. Anyone got any comments on this..

Regards
T.Bantios

pogop
30th Sep 2004, 07:55
According to the 757 maintenance manuals, panels 2, 3, 10, & 11 have a 1.25 second time delay during automatic deployment on landing, to help reduce nose up pitch.

regards

Pogo p

Localiser
30th Sep 2004, 09:20
I fly the Airbus A320/21 so I can only tell you about that. I understand that a similar logic applies to the rest of the Airbus family. The ground spoilers automatically extend when both main gears are compressed and:

1. Both throttles are at forward idle if ground spoilers are armed, or;

2. Reverse thrust is slected on a least one egine with other thrust lever at idle if ground spoilers are not armed.

However, just to complicate things further, the spoilers will deploy partially (10 degrees) if:

1. Reverse thrust is selected on at least one engine with the other thrust lever at idle and;

2. At least one main gear strut is compressed.

This takes care of the single engine case. Hope this helps?! :8

LOC :ok:

bantios
30th Sep 2004, 14:29
Thanks for your reply guys.
I actually met up with a 330 pilot and
had a discussion about this topic.

He had told me that airbus designed the spoilers to activate slowly for the comfort of the passengers. I think that is quite stupid especially landing on a wet runway you would want to spoil as much lift as possible and get the wheels firmly on the ground.

Obviously there hasnt been a problem so far.