PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Captain

dogcharlietree
28th Sep 2004, 02:02
The Sun-Herald 26th Sept 04, page 91. Page heading MY CAREER.
Quote: "Sydney Ferries Corporation senior communications office Scott Keenan says that ferry masters undergo an examination every five years and must meet strict eyesight, hearing and speech standards." and

"Mr Keenan says there's more to being a ferry master than being a good pilot and Sydney Ferries has strict knowledge and experience requirements."

Well, that is my next career move, obviously!

Horatio Leafblower
28th Sep 2004, 03:51
Hmmmm.

I wonder if he meant 'pilot' in the original, ie: nautical sense?:rolleyes:

compressor stall
28th Sep 2004, 12:42
10 weeks holiday a year apparently (so said the wife of a ferry driver who I met at a fifth [sic] birthday party recently).

He flies privately too so might lurk here!

Pseudonymn
30th Sep 2004, 10:04
Unfortunately, the selection criteria for Sydney Ferries is nowhere near that simple. The prospective Ferry Masters must hold at least a Master Class IV, having first worked their way up through Coxswain, Master V and their Marine Engine Drivers TAFE Courses. They must also have First Aid, Coastal Navigation, Local Knowledge, marine pilotage and a few others that I can't remember.

It usually takes a person about 10 years to even be looked at by Sydney Ferries, you have to do the complete written application, attend two interviews and then if you are successful you go onto a "hold" list which is reviewed annually. If you don't get called up in that year, I am led to believe you have to go through the entire process again. There are rare instances of people being in the right place at the right time, but they are very much the exception.

In the meantime, to gain the necessary "sea hours" required for the coxswain and master classes required, you can expect to be driving a water taxi or small cruise vessel, after you have worked your way through the ranks of Deckhand (read substitute waiter, barstaff etc) or come at it from a "host" or "tour commentator."

If anyone thinks this all sounds fairly simple... the Local Knowledge exam consists of a blank chart, you have to fill in all the details, including depth, type of sea floor, all navigation mark locations and accompanying light characteristics etc. Take a look at AUS Chart 200 and then see what you think!

And yes, I have probably provided way too much detail than anyone on the forum really wanted. :}

Ibex
30th Sep 2004, 11:54
No that’s fine Pseudonymn.

It may come as a surprise to some here that there other professions out there other than that of pilot.

In fact some jobs and career paths need just as much and even god forbid more, effort, intelligence, stamina, aptitude, education and perseverance than that of pilot.

Imagine!

Horatio Leafblower
30th Sep 2004, 11:56
Work your way up from the bottom, earning nothing or close to it, to end up in a job that most would dream about (99% or the time) or be terrified of (1% of the time), caring less for money than for the satisfaction and lifestyle.

Must be mad. Nobody would do it. Surely!

Kaptin M
30th Sep 2004, 22:46
...exam consists of a blank chart, you have to fill in all the details, including depth, type of sea floor, all navigation mark locations and accompanying light characteristics etc. Sounds like part of the JCAB (Japan Civil Aviation Bureau) exam!!

The other part you have described, Pseudonymn, isn't at all unlike the process aspiring airline pilots have to undertake, except I'd guess there are far less competitors vying for Ferry Master's positions, than there are pilots for airline jobs.

I wonder how many prospective FM's offer to do the job for free, "just to get the experience"?

Pseudonymn
2nd Oct 2004, 08:59
I wonder how many prospective FM's offer to do the job for free, "just to get the experience"?

Kap, I dare say quite a few would like to try, but seeing as Sydney Ferries is a statutory government authority, it's not quite the accepted practice.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in the charter vessel industry, but ferries are (almost) a unique industry. However, it is possible to gain access to the bridge of one of the ferries if you know the right people. If you are really lucky, they may let you 'steer' under supervision. :} That is fun! :ok: :}