PDA

View Full Version : NT News article

thinking pilot
28th Sep 2004, 01:06
He drank. Drove. Crashed. Ran off. But no charge
By EDITH BEVIN
28sep04
It is unlikely a wealthy Territory businessman will face criminal charges after crashing his mini-van and leaving the scene.

Airline owner Stefan Wood waited for 3 hours before contacting police.

Police said he would not face drink-driving charges. Nor is he likely to be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

They said blood alcohol readings must be taken within two hours.

Mr Wood, 31, a director of Northern Air Charter, was driving the mini-van when it overturned on Tiger Brennan Drive about 7pm last Friday.

He left the scene and went to a friend's house at Stuart Park.

Mr Wood, of Bayview, telephoned police about 10.30pm.

Superintendent Ian Lea said police had no power to breath test him.

``Legislation states that police cannot take a breath test more than two hours after an accident,'' he said.

``Despite the efforts of police at the scene and other officers, the driver was not spoken to until more than three hours after the accident.''

Police sources told the Northern Territory News that when officers arrived at the home of Mr Wood's friends the businessman had ``made a show'' of drinking straight scotch in front of them.

``If there was a way of avoiding being charged with drink-driving that would be it,'' the source said.

``How can police prove what was in his system at the time of the crash and what he drank later?''

Mr Wood also refused a police suggestion that he go with them to hospital for blood alcohol testing.

``He knew his rights and he knew the window of opportunity had passed for police,'' an officer said.

Hours before the crash the Northern Territory News photographed Mr Wood drinking at a charity golf game.

Northern Air Charter chief pilot Jeff Robinson, who was also in the mini-van when it crashed, denied his boss was drunk.

``He wasn't over the limit,'' he said.

Mr Robinson said he had dragged Mr Wood out of the wreckage of the mini-van.

He said Mr Wood had left because he had suffered a head injury.

``He had a very savage knock to the head,'' Mr Robinson said.

``The police even said he should get medical assistance.

``I don't want to say any more in case I say the wrong thing.''

Despite his head injury, Mr Wood was not taken to hospital until the next day.

Had he been taken to Royal Darwin Hospital after a motor vehicle accident he would have had a blood sample compulsorily taken from him for alcohol-level testing.

It is understood the investigation is now focused on whether police can get enough evidence to prosecute Mr Wood on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident.

``There's no point in going ahead with the charges if they're going to get thrown out in court,'' a source said.

``He could argue he suffered a head injury and was confused, although he did seem to know where his friends lived and he had a pretty good idea of his rights and how much time had passed.''

Repeated attempts by the Northern Territory News to get a response from Mr Wood were ignored last night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAXX
28th Sep 2004, 07:34
Ah THE GOOD OLD NT NEWS,

What sort of paper would print information on how to avoid a drink driving charge,which even if they dont realize its what they have done.
A hearty congratulations to the journo and editor who allowed this,although this sort of rubbish is what weve come to expect from our magnificent (NOT) "newspaper"?
Keep up the good work team.

WHAT A BUNCH OF FOOLS:O

The Voice
28th Sep 2004, 08:09
a looooooooooooooong time ago there was a rumour around about a journo and bloke.

I wonder if the journo could now be exacting revenge?

just a thought .. that there could be a little bit of a beat up added to the actual story ...

NotAnIssue
28th Sep 2004, 08:28
And I hope this fool get's done for everything they can get him for.

I don't care who you are, if you break the law, face the consequences. May as well get him for not paying the award too while they're at it!

NotAnIssue

Feeton Terrafirma
28th Sep 2004, 09:39
HA HA HA but its not funny.

some AH's have all the luck, most ordinary folk would be strung up for that, even given that there maybe a little of a beat up involved.

Hello Miss Voice, been a long time so see.

NOTAM
28th Sep 2004, 10:39
So the big man didnt have the balls to hang around and face the consequences of his actions? He had to run and hide! :yuk: Says alot doesnt it! ;)

Pharcarnell
28th Sep 2004, 10:42
Not locally either.
TV news item this evening of HA beating a hasty exit from town via the club to keep the rabid horde of jouro (1) away.

thinking pilot
28th Sep 2004, 11:13
THANKS WOOMERA
WOOMERA - Thank You.

Now lets see. Sourcing aircraft means a company will operate more aircraft, which in turn means a company will need more pilots. So next time I post looking for an aircraft go for it guys bag the sh*t out of me, get the thread locked, just means I don't find more aircraft and don't need more pilots. Oh well makes life easier I suppose.

HA...

NotAnIssue
28th Sep 2004, 12:21
The amount of planes NAC has lost lately, I don't think they'll need any new pilots for quite a while....... that's if they last that long.

You're on your way out Stefan. It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of how soon until you do. Months is what I'd base it on. And this recent 'Advertising' in the NT News, surely that can't do your business any good.

I'd love to meet the gutless goose myself, see how much of an idiot he really is.

NotAnIssue

ITCZ
28th Sep 2004, 16:42
Repeated attempts by the Northern Territory News to get a response from Mr Wood were ignored last night.

What's that? Even the gentle ministrations of an NT News reporter (five foot two, brunette, nice tatt HA, yeah I saw it first!) didn't loosen his tongue?

Well HA, you MAY have beaten a drink drive charge, but that front page has made its way to the in-tray of people you were hoping to make a better impression on...........

No RBT, ha ha HA, no RPT either.

But hey, you showed 'em. Onya.

ginjockey
28th Sep 2004, 23:05
Come on guys, don't be harsh. I'm quite sure that Stefan was totally sober and alert after his day on the golf course dressed like a gay leprechaun, he actually swerved to miss a woman pushing a pram with a some new triplets and a puppy dog in it beside the road. The van rolls .........and after smacking his melon on the steering wheel, roof, rear view mirror, passenger side door handle, interior light and driver's side third row window sill, he was so stunned and confused that he had no idea what he was doing but needed to call for help to save his injured friend and ran off to his mate's place for exactly the required time to pass before calling the police and deciding to celebrate his heroic actions and gallant efforts to save aforementioned family by drinking a glass of straight whiskey............

Yeah, We believe that......

Woomera
28th Sep 2004, 23:41
Very little aviation interest.

Thread now totally off topic and headed downhill.......

*click*

Woomera