PDA

View Full Version : take off questions

visioncat
28th Sep 2004, 00:03
Hello!

I am a frequent flier, have been all my life. Just returned this evening on EZY from SXF. Nevertheless, I am always very afraid at take off. I recognise that this is a largely irrational fear, but I manage it by trying to understand everything I hear and feel by gaining information. I've figured out most of the different sounds on different planes depending on where I sit and it all helps.

I have a quite a few questions... sorry!

1) If something goes wrong at take off and we're already off the ground, what altitude does the pilot need to attain to be able to turn and land at the same airport we took off at?
I mostly fly on 777s and 737s (all models) and the odd 767 so am most interested in these planes. And, how long does it take to reach that altitude? (I know this might depend on the nature of the problem, but a ballpark would ease my nerves!)

2) Why is 10,000 feet 'pinged' (don't know the correct term) by the captain on many airlines at take off and landing? What's the significance of that altitude?

3) I mostly fly Continental Airlines - is there a 'ping' code for an emergency? I sit there counting pings, trying to work out what's going on. Am I right... 1 ping for a passenger request, 2 pings for captain paging crew... are there others?

Thanks for this forum and website - it makes for very helpful reading.
Visioncat

BOAC
28th Sep 2004, 08:48
VC - sorry to hear you are 'nervous' - it is not uncommon. In fact, take-off is the 'easier' manoeuvre as you are flying away from the ground. Now, that should really relax you for the landing:D :D

Q2: NORMAL procedure is to fly away and sort the 'problem' out. There is very little that requires an immediate 'turn-back' in a multi-engined aircraft. It is always best to sort things out slowly. I would guess most pilots, given no weather or terrain problems would settle for around 1000ft 'ish if they had to do it. That takes about 20-30 seconds to reach from lift-off depending on weight etc.

Q2: Airline specific. Different 'dings' etc for different things. Some 'ding' the crew after take-off to say 'ok to get up and start the service', some don't. Some cabin crew start the service then, some wait for the 'belts off' (some NEVER seem to:D ). Coming down again, the crew need a notice of time to landing. 10,000ft approximates to 10 minutes. Again, airline specific.

Q3: See Q2. In my experience, 1 'ding' for 'inter-cabin' chat, 2 for flight deck, some airlines use 3 to ensure crew are seated for take-off. More than that probably means very grumpy Captain :D. I'm sure you'll get a load of other answers too!

Herod
28th Sep 2004, 19:40
VC, just to add a little to BOAC's reply (and I'm sure many more will come), there is a point during take-off at which the aircraft will be able to continue to take-off and fly, even with the failure of an engine. It could well be that the aircraft is still on the ground, but it makes sense to get into the air at that point rather than try and stop on the runway that is left. The aircraft will fly perfectly well and the crew than have plenty of time, after the initial adrenaline rush, to sort it all out and make preparations to land again.

Just out of interest, the 737 has two independent hydraulic systems (purists, I've left the standby out of this) and will fly perfectly well with one failed and adequately with both failed, three electrical generators and will fly well with two failed and adequately with all three failed, three sources of pressurised air and can operate normally with only one of those working.

Basically, aeroplanes are incredibly robust, and the statistics prove it. However, I can sympathise with you. My grown daughter cannot understand why I do this job, and when I travel with her I have to be prepared for the gripping of my arm during take-off to almost draw blood.

Hope this helps.

bluebird121
28th Sep 2004, 20:30
:) I wonder if anyone can help. i have flown lots of times and although it took me a while i have got used to the take off and landing but i get very nervous when there is turbulence. is there anything you can suggest to put my mind at ease as i am flying to Gran Canaria in a few months time and there is usually turbulence at some point in the flight.thanks

Paracab
28th Sep 2004, 20:36
bluebird121,

Your best bet is to run a search on turbulence (click on 'search titles only' or whatever its called)

Plenty of reading that should make you feel better, and hopefully allow to enjoy the flight as well as the holiday ! :ok:

411A
29th Sep 2004, 02:40
A triple of your favorate strong adult beverage is recommended.:ok:

PaperTiger
29th Sep 2004, 19:53
Isn't the departure 10k ding to indicate that approved electronic devices may now be used ? PA to that effect from the CC almost always follows immediately.