PDA

View Full Version : Taranto Night - Script ??

Oggin Aviator
27th Sep 2004, 20:53
Do any FAA Bretheren out there have a Taranto night script as a Word doc?
If a Culdrose based prooner could PM me I could tell you where one is on the system to save and email me - I dont have access at the mo.

Thanks
Oggin

peterperfect
28th Sep 2004, 20:46
Oggin,
Sorry cant help personally, what about FAA Museum or FAAOA ? They do have a bulletin board.

However doubt if anyone has been organised enough to recover the script from the Mare Grande after the final thunderflash raid.

As an aside. I checked your pprune profile and it reads (on 28th Sep) under 'Occupation': "Serving RN Aircrew". I was wondering, did you work in the Portland Ops Room back in the late 70s ?

Arf Arf

Oggin Aviator
29th Sep 2004, 01:30
PP

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the bulletin boards you mention. Might be worth a try.

I did not work at Portland in the 70's. I held there for a couple of months in the early 90's if thats any help! I am not, unfortunately, the person you may have thought I was. Sorry!

Thankyou for help. Thankyou also to cobaltfrog for getting in touch.

Can anyone else help me out in my quest?

Cheers

Oggin

Dancing Bear
29th Sep 2004, 06:51
Oggin, I have several scripts including the war records account. The records are available from FAA Museum Yeovilton but not in word form. If you send me a postal address I can photocopy what I have and forward it to you. Hope all is well in Culdrose

DB

Daysleeper
29th Sep 2004, 09:18
Not sure if this is of any help but the book

"War in a Stringbag"
By Charles Lamb dso dsc
isbn 0 09 918250 5
Has an excellent account from his perspective as target illumination aircraft.

RubiC Cube
29th Sep 2004, 09:26
Tarranto Night Script:get pissed while lots of bombs go off all around you. A great night, especially as it was my last one.

SPIT
29th Sep 2004, 17:19
Oggin.
There is a terrific book called WITH NAVAL WINGS by JOHN WELLHAM who was a pilot on the Taranto mission. It is on sale now if this will help you??. Have a great time
All the Best:ok: :ok:

29th Sep 2004, 19:09
Just don't forget to mention how many RAF pilots were involved.

Argus
30th Sep 2004, 22:17
RubiC Cube

Seems your last was similar to mine - at RNAS Lossiemouth BC*; rockets with thunderflashes attached running along wires strung across the Dining Room; and balloons with thunderflashes attached rising into the ether before exploding.

One of those who attended that night was a veteran of Taranto - one Lieutenant Commander 'Tanky' Hernshaw DFM. 'Tanky', one of the FAA's more colourful characters, was on the staff of the 'O' School when it left Halfar for Lossie. He was in the habit of regaling the assembled masses with renditions of various ribald ditties, most of which would be decried today (unfortunately) as being not PC.

'Tanky' isn't listed in the FAAOA's 2004 'Blue Book'. Is he still around?

*BC = before Cr@b

Matt Skrossa
1st Oct 2004, 15:17
Was at a Taranto night at RNAS Portland when the guest (WAFU 3 Star) gave a stirring speech on not only the FAA boys, but also mentioned the RAF's contribution (Photo Recce before and after being the main one). Everyone cheered at this as some were not aware of their valuable contribution.

The Admiral then asked if anyone knew why the RAF hadn't taken part in the Battle of Trafalgar. Of course we all knew Trafalgar was in 1805, so therefore no RAF, we thought the old bloke had lost it. However, he then said 'I'll tell you why, because it took place on a Sunday'. Excellent speech and as always taking the p*** out of the crabs at an FAA mess dinner ensures the speaker gets a rousing cheer!

Bigtop
4th Oct 2004, 19:45
Oggin PM me and I will email you a copy of a trusted script.
Can also put you in touch with a top bloke (but is based in Hell's Town!) who is a wizard with digital video should you want something special.
He's got all the Pathe news stuff too.

wheresthewessexgone?
5th Oct 2004, 12:55
Does this mean that YVL Wardroom are going to get a Taranto night script dredged up from the past? Or are we going to get something new and different to celebrate the FAAs only hour!;)

OKOC
5th Oct 2004, 17:06
Do WAFU's always take try and take the P155 out of the RAF cos we're THE service of choice for military, professional aviators and not just another means of transport for the Captain, Wings, et al.

AdrianShaftsworthy
5th Oct 2004, 17:18
Reel him in boys!!!!!!

OKOC
5th Oct 2004, 17:30
It is so easy to get a bite-Gotcha- me first WAFU today:}

maxburner
6th Oct 2004, 12:05
Was on a course in my youth (I admit to being a crab) when we celebrated Taranto Nght. Two Italian co-members got quite vocal and upset at the prospect, but were happy once we explained that we were celebrating sinking the Canadian fleet at anchor.

Have a great night!!

Bigtop
6th Oct 2004, 19:45
OKOC

There's nothing professional about wearing jeans and a denim jacket!!

OKOC
7th Oct 2004, 11:36
Bigtop

I don't have a denim jacket old bean but you can borrow my denim skirt if you like. I think you've had a mis-ident by the way.

timzsta
9th Oct 2004, 23:38
Oggin how goes it? Mission accomplished if you follow....looking for trade....

Pearl Harbour took place on a Sunday too, and Taranto was the inspiration for the Japanese Attack. And when the Japanese Admiral said "we have awoken a sleeping giant" as his planes returned he definetely was not talking about the RAF....

Oggin Aviator
10th Oct 2004, 00:07
Tim

Congratulations. Great news - prolly a relief after the long slog.
Good luck for the future.

The Americans themselves practised an attack on Pearl in the mid thirties which I am sure would have given the Japanese food for thought. The attack on Taranto as well proved the tactic was viable.

All the best

Oggin