View Full Version : Firefly cockpit

Long_Vodka
27th Sep 2004, 06:57
I wonder if anyone can help me with a rather curious question?

What height is the tallest pilot anyone has ever known to do EFT on the firefly?

Thanks for any replies.

Long_V

airborne_artist
27th Sep 2004, 08:38
Bear in mind that absolute height may be less important than leg and/or back lengths. Clearly when combined they "create" a height value, but there could be people who are of equal height, some of whom fit and others too large. At the other end we had a guy who was 5'8" but had a short back, so he had an extra cushion in the Bulldog.

When I did the RN Aircrew medical 25 years ago they simply put all those 6'2" and above in a 'dog at Southampton UAS and made sure they had full and free.

Perhaps OASC do something similar?

Long_Vodka
27th Sep 2004, 09:38
Thanks airborne_artist, appreciate your reply.

I'm just a bit concerned, as i'm just under 6'6", and i have got my AIB next week.

I've been through the RAF system before, and they knocked me back on account of the fact that my leg length was slightly too big - that entailed doing 4 years on a UAS as a ground branch stude! Never had much problem as regards sitting hight (no cushions for me!!) or adequate control deflection, even on a RAF flying scholarship in a cessna 152!!

I've got found memories of many,many hours in the chipmunk, bulldog and (gag) the tutor.

Was just concerned about the firefly, as i'm not sure i'd be let (AIB pending!!) back onto a UAS to complete EFT.

Thanks again for your reply.

Long_V

airborne_artist
27th Sep 2004, 09:57
Best off ringing someone I think - search Pprune for " OASC" - some nos. have been posted re. eyesight reqs, so the bones man/lady can't be far away!

Why not try the Guards - they'd be thrilled! Just don't try the Paras as they have 6'4" limit.

BEagle
27th Sep 2004, 10:18
Max height for someone in a Firefly cockpit?

10,000ft!!

Sorry. Best of luck!!

Colonel W E Kurtz
27th Sep 2004, 12:37
I did EFT on the firefly and I'm 6'4". A RN pilot friend of mine on the same course was too tall so he did EFT on the Bulldog on a UAS down the road. He was too tall for the tucano as well, so they sent him to australia to do BFT on the PC-9. He is now a sea harrier pilot.
As for me I now fly the 747-400, although I do seem to bang my head on the roof every time i get out of the seat...:D

Actually Beags, I recall doing solo aeros in the fruitfly over cloud at 12000\'!:8

BEagle
27th Sep 2004, 15:06
And I managed to get a Chipmunk up to 14000ft when I was supposed to be off doing GH one morning after a particularly raucous session in the Officer's Mess at RAF White Waltham..... That was back before they moved Green One.

Pretty sure now that it was illegal - hadn't a clue at the time!

supert300
27th Sep 2004, 15:18
One of the German Navy students who went through EFT recently was too tall for the Firefly so just went down the road to Cranwell and did EFT on the Tutor with EMUAS. I wouldn't worry about the measurements too much, it is the individual length of your back, arms and legs that count.

Good luck with AIB.

cobaltfrog
27th Sep 2004, 17:53
If you are that tall (I am 6ft 5!) then the odds on chance is that you will carry out EFT on the Tutor. I had my own (!) Bulldog at Barkston from EFT standards at Cranditz 'cos I could not fit in either the 160 or 260 Firefly. The thing to remember is that it is RARELY a showstopper!
As many have said I have known of a 6ft 6 USMC pilot on 899 fly the FA2 - now that is unreal!!

Worry not and let the medics and trainers sort out the problem.

Best of Luck

Frogster

PS you are not unusual, I here of people all the time in your situation.

Feneris
27th Sep 2004, 17:55
I've met someone who was 6' 6" or a bit taller even, he passed AIB but was told he couldn't fly Harrier, only Helo's, due to his height, but unfortunately failed the medical later. A recent international student at DEFTS turned out to be too tall for the Firefly and did EFT on the Grob instead..... which I guess must be a big bigger inside. Good luck with AIB..... BE YOURSELF, don't try and guess what the board wants. F

kippermate
27th Sep 2004, 22:32
Good Luck Lofty.

:ok:

Long_Vodka
28th Sep 2004, 05:17
Good skills kipper!

Thanks to everyone for their reply - makes me feel better about facing the AIB.

Long_V

5 Forward 6 Back
28th Sep 2004, 08:04
I'm sure when I went through Linton I was told of an RAF bloke who pitched up for groundschool there only to be told he was a little on the tall side. Saw his course photo, and he didn't look more than 6'6".

He was sent off to Cranwell to go and do MELIN instead; why no concessions like Colonel Kurtz's mate being sent to Aus?

Bit of a shame really.

Longstick
28th Sep 2004, 18:00
Really..........Colonel do you know your facts?

Sent to Oz for being too tall........Wrong.

I also flew the Tucano on my return........... so wrong again.

Anything else?

cobaltfrog
28th Sep 2004, 20:20
Longstick!

All I can say is NICE! (If you are not the one in the story etc etc...)

AllTrimDoubt
28th Sep 2004, 21:59
If Longstick is who I think he is, then to put the record straight...

1. He flew EFT with a UAS as a concession since he was a little cramped in certain areas of the Firefly's cockpit!

2. He flew BFJT in Australia for the simple reason that there was an unacceptable delay in training due to the enforced grounding of the Tucano fleet.

3. And, as he stated he flew the Tucano on return before going on to Valley, etc

He got through the system by sheer determination and hard work on his part, and a degree of flexibility which I'm glad to say both services involved were able to show.

...that's if you are who I think you are!!!

Colonel W E Kurtz
29th Sep 2004, 06:58
Longstick I am talking about DB aka L1!

Longstick
29th Sep 2004, 13:53
All Trim Doubt.......many thanks fella your details are indeed correct.

Colonel, well yes you are right about the person but your facts are still wrong! BTW I haven't heard the name L1 for six years precisely!

Long Vodka, best of luck and just go for it. There are taller people out there......it really depends on your legs and how you sit in the cockpit!!

Colonel W E Kurtz
30th Sep 2004, 08:41
Longstick, my sincere apologies, I was obviously mistaken about the reason for your antipodean escapade!

Colonel W E Kurtz
aka Decks :D

AllTrimDoubt
30th Sep 2004, 20:06
So I thought! Greetings "Longstick" and beers in the bar I presume in the near future?