PDA

View Full Version : Flights from/to UK/US during training

heinzmanm
26th Sep 2004, 21:06
I'm off to EFT in January and having just obtained my visa, I'm looking to get some flights booked in the not too distant future.
Anyway, I just wondered what other people have done in terms of booking flights for going out and coming back to the UK? I expect to out there for around 3 months before I come back to the UK to complete the ATPL groundschool but I won't know exact dates for returning until nearer the time ie. until I'm well into my training.
Is it best to just book a one-way flight? I looked at flexible tickets but they were £1000!!
Having only been to the USA on holidays and always having a fixed return date, I've never had to consider this before.
Any suggestions from other people who have gone through this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew

Penworth
27th Sep 2004, 07:50
I've just booked a flexible ticket for going out to the states for a month in January. Its going to cost me £350 plus $150 if I decide to change my return date. I just looked on lastminute.com and kelkoo.co.uk for the best flexible tickets. As regards one way flights, I believe you can only buy these when you are on particular kinds of visas, although I might be wrong about that.

Cheers

PW

WX Man
27th Sep 2004, 10:24
Yep, I second that. Return flight LGW-TUL (via IAH) for me was £350 with ebookers.com. It cost $100 to change. Don't bother with single tickets or fully flexible tickets- it WILL work out more expensive!

It depends what you need to do out there in Florida as to how long to book for. The weather in January should be pretty good, so no problems there. Just ask the school how long they expect it to take you, add on 10% and there's your return date.

If the worst comes to the worst, and you end up without a changable ticket, you can fly http://www.southwest.com/ from West Palm Beach to, say, Newark, and get a really cheap ticket to London out of there.

piper pervert
30th Sep 2004, 09:34
Heinzmanm,
Being a fellow geordie,if u aren't already sorted by the time u read this try a company called courtney airsavers (first bit might be spelt wrong).They are a flight only travel agent based on saville row in n'cl and are generally pretty cheap and sell "open-ended" tickets to u.s.

Good Luck

PP