PDA

View Full Version : Career Change

FlyingBeachball
26th Sep 2004, 18:37
Hi,

This is my first post and a new member. I was given this forum by the CAA.

I would like some advice if I may.

Brief history about myself: -

I’m 30 years old, married with 2 children, both under the age of 6 and having a semi mid life crisis.

I have been involved with a family business for over ten years and feel that it is time to get out. Due to the nature of my work I have many skills but no formal qualifications to prove my worth, accept my Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies.

Flying has always been my passion and I have been knocked back from every corner. To get into aviation I managed to obtain my PPL and just recently my IMC. I would ideally, be keen on being a commercial pilot as I live and work for flying.

My question is this: -

I am willing to self-finance through the necessary qualifications and procedures necessary to obtaining a CPL / IR and even a frozen ATPL but my fears are, having spent thousand’s of pounds and a year off work in order to gain theses skills and knowledge, will I be able to obtain a job in order to survive, bear in mind there are other people on the market with hundreds of hours of experience behind them in direct competition.

Could anyone offer me advice in the right direction, as I would like a career in aviation but I cannot afford to let down my family?

Flying Farmer
26th Sep 2004, 18:46
Hi

Try doing a search on the subject, this is covered on a regular basis. Another thread is running at present "time is running out" have a peek at that.

If you get a move on your age should not be a problem. Expect though to be earning peanuts for a few years after qualifing, less than £10000 a year if instructing and doing whatever else you can.

All the best

FF

scameron77
26th Sep 2004, 19:14
Mate,

Read this, it convinced me it was the way to go and it mirrors your situation to a fair degree.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6911&highlight=pilot+pete

Deano777
26th Sep 2004, 19:35
FlyingBeachBall

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, I am 31, married, 1 child, have a mortgage but I can tell you this, I dont want to get to 40 yrs old and be saying to myself "if only I'd tried" because if you dont try you will never know, that is why Im going ahead with it myself, I know whats been said about being the right "age" for airline criteria but for goodness sakes Im prepared to take that chance and go all the way, only then can I find out if what is said is true, and Im in a position now to say to myself to "do whatever it takes"

good luck :ok:

Dean

FlyingBeachball
26th Sep 2004, 21:10
Scameron,

Thanks for the link. I read the story with real interest and I'm glad he got to where he did, however the date when he managed to get there was before 911. I think time has changed and things has got worst, however having said that, talking to a few instructors at my flying club, its getting better.

Dean,

I know where your coming from and good luck on your journey, however I\'m the type of person that evaluates everything and makes sure that all aces are covered before diving in feet first.

This forum is the first step, apart from talking to the CAA in researching my options and opportunities.

It\'s interesting to here other people views and I\'m glad I\'m not the only person thinking in this way as the instructors, I feel, gives one side of the story and depending how they feel will give you "it\'s your choice at the end of the day" ending.

Deano777
26th Sep 2004, 23:16
Absolutely the right way to go about it mate, I dont dive in head first either, all areas are covered as yours are, I only work a 3 day week so its alot easier from where Im sat as I dont have to give up my job (yet), the finances are covered as well in case things go "t!ts up"

Good luck mate whatever you decide and keep me informed :ok:

Dean

Maximum
27th Sep 2004, 11:35
will I be able to obtain a job in order to survive

the cold truth is that you might, but you might not.

as I would like a career in aviation but I cannot afford to let down my family?

that makes it even harder.

You've got to be sure to understand that it will be quite possible to spend the money, do the hard graft, and not get a job at the end of it all. Do you have a plan if that happens? If so, fine. But that is the reality.

Not trying to spoil your dreams, but it's important to go in with both eyes wide open.

Not an easy decision.

Flypuppy
27th Sep 2004, 11:57
Unless your wife is 100% behind you it is going to be difficult. Even if she is 100% behind you it is going to be difficult.

Basically if you can afford to dump £45-60k down the drain and not feel it then follow your dream. Dont forget the current vouge for buying type ratings will add at least £20k to your final cost.

You will not see a return on investment for at least 3-5 years (assuming you find paid aviation employment straight after completing training)

If you assume that you will have to find non-aviation employment after training then the psychological brick wall of a stack of PFO's wont be so devastating.

It is important to keep the significant other fully informed and let them know what is happening. If you can spare some cash, pamper the wife. It will reap dividends later on. Trust me on this one.

The other question you must ask yourself is can you and your family cope with the enforced absences while training and the stress during training; you are likely to be away from home for at least 5 days a week, and probably studying during the weekends, you will be stressed.

A.I.D.S. (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) is a very real risk. Is becoming a pilot worth the risk of trashing your family for? Be very careful with this. You must be a very good time manager.

Don’t start this project without the support and backing of your partner. she is going to become effectively a single parent family while you are training.

The whole project is physically, emotionally and financially draining, and not just for you but for your family as well.

This is not intended to put you off, just the likely reality of what life may be like during and after training.