PDA

View Full Version : Training/Living in US

Prophead
26th Sep 2004, 13:12
I am seriously thinking of selling my house and using the profit ive made to go over to the USA and do my CPL/IR and instructor ratings. I am currently trying to finish my PPL but struggling due to weather and work. I have received the first module of my ATPL course which i am doing by distance learning. I will probably wait until i have finished my exams although my job is driving me mad with boredom at the moment and i am tempted to do something now.

Anyway my question is, has anyone done a similar thing and could give me some advise on living and training/instructing in the US for a year or two. I have a wife who will obviously be coming with me and i would be interested to hear about the living/training costs instructor pay and lifestyle etc.

Regards

Prophead

Matron
28th Sep 2004, 09:36
I did it with spouse and small child. Lots of challenges but would do it again if I had the chance.

As far as I understand you can not do JAA I/R in USA - you need to take test in JAR-land.

Visas is a pain if you do not have US residency privileges but it is all very do-able.

Main challenges:
1. Setting up a home - documentation for apartment, flying school, visas etc.
2. Bored spouse. Need to make some friends!
3. Flying in US is pretty different to UK therefore you need to watch for developing bad habits that will get you crucified when you return to UK for I/R.

Good luck with the exams.

M

Prophead
28th Sep 2004, 10:52
Thanks for the reply.

Am i right in thinking that my wife would be unable to work over there.

tooyoungtodie
28th Sep 2004, 23:14
I will be doing the same thing in 4 years time. So far i have learnt that schools can only offer a J1 and MI visa. Which is for educational courses and student exchange programme. if you want to work as an instructor I think you will need a J1 visa which is for 18 months nad a 6 month extention. After this period you must go home to the UK and not return for two years ( i think). If you want to stay out there permanently you will need a H1B visa for graduate professionals, but your degree must relate to your job, or ivest $100,000 dollars in a business and employ a couple of Americans. I asked this immigration Lawyer can I invest in flying school and he says that is fine. My wife will be a registered nurse which is a Preferred Shedule A occupation ( nurses in short supply in Florida) and with sponsorship from a Florida hospital she will get a green card and with that I and my children under the age of 21 will be able to work. Yes nearly forgot the M1 and J1 Visa do not allow your wife to work. I recommend that she trains to be a nurse.