PDA

View Full Version : A licencing question...

south coast
26th Sep 2004, 09:03
I am trying to unfreeze my JAA ATPL, and am finding it very difficult.

I do not want to pay for a Boeing or Airbus rating in order to unfreeze my ATPL, the debt is too great without a definate job at the end, but I would consider shelling out 6 or 7 k for a Let 410/420 rating.

My situation: I have 2200 hours TT, 1800 multi turbine and meet all the hour requirements for ATPL issue, passed CPL ME and IR flight tests, completed all ATPL exams.

I do not have a multi pilot type rating, but have been granted a MCC exemption as I have been flying the 1900D two crew and gave the CAA a letter stating that under national law the aircraft must be operated by two pilots.
I also understand that my time in a multi crew environment, although in a single pilot aircraft-the Beech 1900d, will count as my 500 hours multi pilot time for the ATPL.

So, basically I meet the hour requirements but no multi pilot type rating.

Here's my question, if I go to a place in the Czech Republic and do a Let 410/420 P1 rating, which is probably the cheapest multi pilot airplane to do a private rating on, would this open my ATP licence?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any ideas on this, please let me know.

Many thanks.

GusHoneybun
26th Sep 2004, 12:48
south coast,

i am in exactly the same situation as yourself gadding about in the Single Pilot aircraft that has been certified as two crew. You are right about all the multi crew time counting for ATPL issue.
The question I have for you is why shell out for a type rating you are never going to use. I mean, do you actually need the ATPL unfrozen. If you are still working on the Beech then you can operate as either Captain or FO on a plain CPL so the is no need for an ATPL to get command. And if you are looking to move on to another airline, then the type rating you'll get from them will count as your ATPL skills test and when you go to gatwick for type rating issue they will exchange your blue licence for a puke green one.

parkfell
26th Sep 2004, 14:22
Otter drivers have the same problem. Having acquired > 500 hours public transport flying on Otter, you need a MP type rating to open your JAR ATPL.

The likes of Easy may not recognise your two crew experience, as multi crew experience as it was gained on an aircraft less than 5.7MT.

It is important that you explain to any potential employer the hydrid nature of the beast, and how it is that you are poised for ATPL issue. A letter to this effect from the CAA is helpful.

:cool:

south coast
26th Sep 2004, 17:10
ghb...

it is a catch 22 situation, although i think it may be worth while for me to do the Let rating for several reasons....

1. the company i am working for operates beech 1900d, let410/420's and king air 200's

2. they provide services for oil companies and although i am already flying as a captain on the 1900 on my cpl, some oil companies demand the captain have an atpl.

3. the higher the licence one has, the more ratings one has on planes that are operated by the company you work for, the more money i am worth to them, since i will be rated on their whole fleet then.

so, in some ways it is an investment and it will mean i get a green book which will then definately allow me to apply to netjets and may help with other applications.

i am prepared to risk the cost of a Let rating as opposed to the mega bucks of the Boeing or Airbus one....

what do you think..?

ecj
26th Sep 2004, 17:54
So why don't you apply for your company to put you through the
LET 410 course and be bonded??
:confused: