PDA

View Full Version : Qantas in Cork!

drix51
25th Sep 2004, 18:18
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on why there was a Qantas 747 in Cork yesterday. I was walking about Bishopstown and looked up expecting to see an AerLingus 321 and there it was. Wunala Dreaming!!! i never thought i'd see that livery in Cork. They took one trip around the city after departure and disappeared. I guess it was chartered but i don't know why.

Any info?

donkeyboy
25th Sep 2004, 18:50
Chartered by a delegation from a Syndey based Independant Liquor Group. Arrived at 09:30 and departed at 16:50. Amazed me that it only made a tiny, tiny piece on RTE, nothing on TV3 and B&W shot on page 4 of the Examiner this morning.

Jerricho
26th Sep 2004, 15:35
Maybe they were looking for a few more additions for their hats :E

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/images/dress-up/acc/hats/australian-big.jpg

Buster Hyman
26th Sep 2004, 21:55
Jerricho! The new QF uniform is hush-hush at the moment. You should remove that pic immediately!

drix51
27th Sep 2004, 08:40
Cheers Mate,

I knew anything connecting Ireland and Oz would have to involve Alcohol somehow. Long way to travel for a drink though!

Tom the Tenor
27th Sep 2004, 08:54
I was in Malaga at the villa(!) so missed all the fun. However, the local rag, The Cork Evening Echo had a big spread on the Qantas on the previous evening before the flight and on the morning of the flight one of local radio stations covered the story too with a man on site! As a result everyone who had ever looked at an aeroplane sideways was there and the local roads around the airport were jammed preventing the more regular spotters and photographers from getting good photos!

Great fun all round though! Took on a good bit of fuel too due to fuel strike at Heathrow.

Buster Hyman
28th Sep 2004, 10:39
Not much happening in Cork these days if the "City of Redfern" gets in the spotlight!:(

Tom the Tenor
1st Oct 2004, 08:49
Must be even quieter today at Cork - the spotlight falls on a Euroatlantic 767-300 due in today 1650L. A nice aeroplane. Going to FCO.

aidanf
1st Oct 2004, 09:03
I had to pick up a colleague over from London for the day on the same morning as the Quantas arrival. He landed at about 0850 and as we had to head for Bishopstown I went around the back of the airport. Big crowd on backroad - I enquire as to what was happening - am told about arrival of jumbo and recall something in previous days papers about a wine producers delegation arriving, so enquire if it's 'the wine one' - reply comes as 'nah boy, tis all different colours'

Another 'I wouldn't believe it only that I was there' gem for my colleague to bring back to England! :}