PDA

View Full Version : What flying do I need to start CPL Training?

snafu
25th Sep 2004, 09:34
I'm a military helo pilot and am considering my options for the future. One of those is clearly to leave the Armed Forces in a few years and try to get a job in civil aviation (preferably FW airline). I've therefore got a few questions about what I might need to do to convert my current experience into civilian qualifications. (Before anyone immediately hits 'Reply' to tell me to look at the Military Accreditation website, I have done. It is good, but doesn't answer the questions that I have below!)

Some background first:

I have 1550 military hours (1115 P1 and 435 Dual). Of this, 67 hours are fixed wing (15 P1 and 52 Dual). I had an RN Flying Scholarship before I joined and, on completion of my fixed wing phase of flying training, I completed a PPL in 1995. I therefore have an additional 57 hours of civilian FW flying (19 P1 and 38 Dual). I am anticipating having at least 2100 hours before I would be leaving the Forces in a few years time, although this additional 550 hours will almost certainly be exclusively RW.

My questions are:

1. Is my existing PPL still valid in some form? I am aware that I would have to re-validate it with some additional hours because I haven't used it in 9 years, but has it lapsed completely? Equally, has it been overtaken by the new JAR rules?
2. What flying would I need to do so that I could start a CPL or multi-engine training course towards an fATPL?
3. I'm intending to take the theoretical ATPL exams for the RW ATPL (RW bridging package, Procedures and Air Law) and apply for the RW CPL or fATPL through the Mil/Civ Accreditation procedure once I have 2000 hours. Will it be cheaper for me to use this route to get the FW ATPL qualifications using the new RW-FW bridging package or would I be better off just going straight for the FW ATPL exams?
4. Which courses will I need to do to get a fATPL? I think it's a multi-engine FW conversion, CPL(A) and Multi-IR, but is this correct?
5. What additional hours building will I need?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, but my research on PPRuNe doesn't seem to have yielded the answers for someone in my position and I thought that the collective knowledge out there may be able to answer some of them.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.:ok: