PDA

View Full Version : NATS ATCOs - jobs lost

donnie31
14th Nov 2001, 13:08
I hear that 4 ATCO jobs are vanishing at LGW.
I thought there was a shortage! The beancounters are all staying though.

250 kts
14th Nov 2001, 16:01
I understand that they are over the OR at Gatwick and are looking for people to move to LATCC- they are NOT out of a job!!!!!!!

donnie31
14th Nov 2001, 16:31
Hey 250kts, slow to 160....These are real jobs, the OR ( operational requirement) is being reduced by 4 ATCOs, these people will, as you say, be redeployed elsewhere, but the jobs will cease to exist at LGW, net loss 4 ATCO posts! These are therefore redundancies of post - if not actual people.

Muppit
14th Nov 2001, 20:19
Quite right TI!
If KK are over the OR, why have we been training any second rate ATCO that arrives on the doorstep and then being forced to put them through the UTP just to get bums on seats?

What happens if they can't find people to go to TC....? (Not everyone wants to work in such a pleasant environment as West Drayton)

These 4 posts are now redundant (night shift cover and one ops job) and it won't be the dregs that get posted out, it's the competent ones! :eek:

[ 14 November 2001: Message edited by: Muppit ]

cossack
14th Nov 2001, 22:52
Muppit
Fair point on the first question, but maybe its to cover "natural wastage"? Better to be training now before you are short rather than waiting until after it happens.

Do you really have "dregs" and controllers
who are, by inference, not competent at LGW. :eek: Surely not.

Be glad you're still at your OR even with these reductons. Most units have been operating below it for years! I'm sure someone will offer to move to further their careers, then again maybe not!

All the best...

Mr Simple
14th Nov 2001, 22:57
Well Muppit, if you were a bean-counter wouldn't you try and get rid of top of the scale ATCO2s and replace them with low scale or T+D ? It happens everywhere else. In fact you have been very lucky at Gatwick because (I believe) you are one of the favoured London set who do not have bid for your own jobs every 5 years - unlike Edinburgh, Glasgow, Brum etc.. (There I think the contracts were put in on the basis of all employed at the lowest salary!) None of the bean-counting bastards seems to reckon that having experienced ATCOs actually makes a difference. Welcome to the brave bad world of PPP.

Taliban first, bean-counters next .....

milliebarz
15th Nov 2001, 00:05
Will there be other airports affected? Or just airports near area centres were nats won't have to pay relocation expenses :confused: