PDA

View Full Version : Time is running out

tooyoungtodie
24th Sep 2004, 15:23
Please can anyone help me or at least reassure me. I am approaching 49 years old. I have held a PPL D for 10 years. My dream for the last 20 years was to be an airline pilot. Trouble was expensive tastes in holidays to Florida and 3 teenage kids bleeding me dry has meant that the dream was just that. Now the kids are grown up, my wife and I have decided to emmigrate to Florida in 4 years. She is a registered nurse so we wont have too much trouble getting a green card. I want to make my dream a reality even if only for one day. I realise that the compulsary retirement age is 60 in the US and even the regional airlines probably wont want to hire a 53 year old and it will cost at least $50,000. But I am not going to give up. Does anyone on here appreciate my dream and can they recommend a central Florida school that might be sympathetic at least to my aims even if they dont hold out a lot of hope of employment by an airline.

flyingdogguitar
24th Sep 2004, 16:58
Hi,
I absolutely understand what you're saying. I'm forty three in a couple of weeks time (can't believe that myself!) and I'm desperate to get out of the job which I've been in for the last twenty five years - and more or less hated every minute of it! I realise that I'm not gonna walk into a jet job, but I'd rather fly anything than stay in my current job. Fortunately I have a very understanding Wife, and a young Son of three and a half years. It's gonna be the Modular route for me, and I'm gonna be starting my ATPL ground studies with Bristol Ground school in the next couple of weeks.

Whishing you all Best in your aspirations to

Dave

tooyoungtodie
24th Sep 2004, 23:40
Thank you for your reassuring words Dave. You go for it before it is too late. The normal reaction I get from the Florida flying schools is why dont you just fly for pleasure. I have been doing that for 10 years and it does not fulfill my dream. The second time i went to Florida was with Monarch on a A 300 ( not sure of number, twin engined early airbus) This was 10 years ago when passengers were allowed to visit the cockpit. I went with my oldest son David who would then have been 9 years old and the captain said why dont you turn the plane. He asked him to dial in 30 degrees into the autopilot and the plane turned quite steeply The auto pilot then reajusted its course back on track. When the Captain found out that i flew microlights and i was asking loads of questions like if you died what would my chances of landing this plane ( to which he replied if you have flown it would help but your best chance is to use the autopilot.) he said that when they landed at Maine to refuel, would io like to sit in the cockpit. Any way the stewardess came to get me when we were on base leg turning onto finals. It was amazing the first officer landed the plane while the captain talked me through it, i was convinced i could have landed that baby. Ever since that day I wanted to be an airline pilot. My problem was obviously i did not want it enough in those days because I thought I have plenty of time. I am waiting to find out if Delta Connection Academy wont mind lowering its placement average by letting me train with them. Fingers crossed.

BIG MISTER
25th Sep 2004, 01:43
Hello mate

Speak to Annette at this school....shes a straight talking Northern lass (of a certain age) and will point you in the right direction !

www.debenair.com

Cheers !

:ok:

www.bigmisters.co.uk

redsnail
25th Sep 2004, 10:43
Tooyoungtodie,
I can understand your desires to get a CPL. If you can afford to possibly throw away $50,000 then go for it.
There's dreams and there's realities. As you've alluded to there's not "that" much of a hope for an airline job, let alone regionals etc. Instructing is a possiblility and possibly night freight in a C208.
The industry in the US is a volatile one and it's also has the same problem here of many CPL's chasing too few jobs. I believe there's at least one airline furloughing pilots too. Unlike the UK, you just can't hop into the RHS of a Saab 340 or 737. You'll need to get plenty of experience.
Also, please bear in mind the remuneration is very poor for the lower rung pilots.

My point is, it's great to have a dream and ambition. You're now 49, you reckon you'll be about 53 by the time you're ready for the US market. Can your retirement fund take such a big hit ($30-$50,000) at such a late stage in your working life. If you can, find an accountant to show you what the figures will be for your financial security. (In other words, get some one impartial to show you your financial risk. You do want to enjoy old age)

If you balance that part of the equation with your dream and you're still in the black, go for it. :ok:

BIG MISTER
25th Sep 2004, 12:08
Thats sound advice to us all !

Nice one Redsnail !

tooyoungtodie
25th Sep 2004, 19:45
Thank you for that reality check Redsnail, it made me pause to think. I have asked my wife if she thinks that it will be OK for me to waste all that time and money but she supports me 100%. I appreciate your very sensible thoughts but I would rather be poor in retirement than forever wonder what if. I have worked hard all of my life to keep a roof over my family of five's heads and it is pay back time. Now it is time for me.

Flying Farmer
26th Sep 2004, 08:36
Guys please a reality check !!

I'm now 42 and have been qualified for two and a half years, hours now around the 1000 mark. My CV and cover letter are up to scratch and guess how many interviews I have had? Let me tell you just the one in all that time. You may be the best pilot on earth, you may come over well at interview etc etc but if you can't even get a foot in the door what hope is there to prove yourself.

Also consider that if you choose to go down the air taxi route to gain experience and hours, my choice by the way, most companys will require you to have a minimum number of hours in total, on multi engine aircraft and IFR. Where do you get that experience? On way is instructing, a further £5000 or so and then can you afford to live on a pittance whilst you get those hours up.

I dont mean for this to sound negative, its not meant to be, just a reality check before you spend a fortune. It is a job at the end of the day, a great one I will give you that, the hours can be long and the money poor. If you still want to do it after some of the advice you have been given, come on in and join us we are a great bunch
:}
FF

BoraBora007
26th Sep 2004, 14:32
Im afraid guys start getting into trouble finding airline jobs from the late twenties mark. Sponsorships stop at the mid-twenties mark.

Believe me - I know what you mean - desk jobs are terrible - but I think 49 is too late to start out.

Im sorry for being frank, but I would advise against the route you are about to take. I think its too late for you to be an airline pilot.

Id advise you to work the remaining few years in your job, retire and move to Florida with your wife, join the local flying club and maybe instruct their. Relax play golf, enjoy the sunshine

give me an axe
26th Sep 2004, 15:03
If I was you I would not do it.

Getting a commercial job in America is completly different to over here, you have to put in several years as a FI before being able to jump up to regional t/ps. Its just not worth it.

If you got yourself a f/atpl in this country then you can jump into the RHS of a t/p or jet with 250hrs, but again age would still be a problem. Having said that there are some operators who prefer older guys as they are less likely to move on - such as Eastern.

tooyoungtodie
26th Sep 2004, 21:08
thank you all for your advice. I am taking on board everything you say. I have earned a very good living up to £70,000 a year, brought up my family ( nearly), i dont really care if i dont get a job at the end of it. All i really hoped is some low paid instruction jobs. That is Ok because i will be semi retired anyway. I just want the challenge of the training so that i can say i am a commercial pilot. Yes it is partly an ego thing but not much, it is about following a dream even if i wake up with a bump. When you reach 49 you will realise that yopu dont feel old at all and that i am not willing to write myself off, roll over and die. I want a new challenge, i want to know what it feels like to train up to that level. i cant wait. The biggest dilemma i have is that my 13 year old is obsessed by flying and does ILS approaches on Microsoft flight simulator and i want him to tdo his traininm when he proves to me that he can knuckle down to some studying.