PDA

View Full Version : LHR T4 Noise Abatement

trevorinns
9th Nov 2001, 19:51
Why are there noise issues on some stands? I can't think of any residential units nearby....

And also, why does it take so long to cross 27L after landing at 27R for T4. Landing today (about 10:00L) we were 4th to cross 27L but had to wait about 15 mins.

thanks

Gonad
9th Nov 2001, 21:44
Banana, the noise restrictions apply to the S & V stands as someone decided that when T4 was built it was not fair to disturb the locals with noise at night and in the early morning, hence no apu's and no taxying at certain times (eventhough if you released your brake your idle thrust would taxi you forward). The silly thing is, the restrictions apply to T4 traffic, a 747 classic (not quiet at the best of times) is allowed to taxi past the V apron on the way to 27L and wake up half of hatton cross but a F50 cannot start engines/taxi depending on the time. This causes problems for the paris & amsterdam flights before 0700 who have to tow out of the apron or wait for all the inbound 747's to be towed in. Someone with a mind far superior to yours or mine has applied these restrictions years ago, we have to enforce them (or get a b0!!ocking) and if you break them your company gets a hefty fine.
As regard to crossing 27L after 27R arrival we try to wait for a 'natural'gap in the deps ie a vortex gap or gap between two ac on similar routing. You have probably noticed the first one to the holding point does not always depart first, this is so ac can depart a minute behind each other and so keep the outbound delays down which is needed at peak times (at EGLL this is from 0700 to 2130). If we took ac as they came by 1100hrs we could have 90 minute delays on. So I'm afraid one day you might wait a few extra minutes to cross but then on others you are departing a few minutes sooner in the end it all averages out. Sometimes the T4 stand allocator refuses to give us a vacant stand in which case we will often hold you northside as the is so little taxiway space south of 27L. I can say hand on heart none of us will delay you if we can help it.