PDA

View Full Version : Tippex magnet

Captain Ratpup
23rd Sep 2004, 10:54
I seem to have this bizarre 'adding time up ' problem which means that my logbook is invariably covered in tippex from where I've had to correct my preschool-level maths.

My common faults include putting P1 time in the PU/T box and then adding all the figures up wrong. Or putting night flying in the day section or something silly like that.

Fortunately, I seem to be getting better. Haven't used tippex for the last couple of pages.

Do other people have this problem? Anyone out there with some monstrosity of a logbook which would ring CAA alarm bells?

Ratpup

oxford blue
23rd Sep 2004, 11:09
When I began my (RAF) flying training, the instructors insisted that we photocopy blank log book pages and fill in that month's flying in pencil on the copy.

Then check it.

Then fill in the real log book in pen.

At the time, we young students all felt insulted and thought that these guys were being patronising bastards.

I now realise that they were 100% right.

WX Man
23rd Sep 2004, 11:12
Oh, heck yes!!!!

We'll see if the alarm bells ring. The CAA have my logbook at the moment, it's got so much tippex in it that the Jamaican bobsleigh team mistook it for a ski slope.

All honest mistakes- promise! Looks v. untidy though. I need to get another one before I start showing it to chief pilots.

birdlady
23rd Sep 2004, 12:26
I had to rewrite all my logbook as one of my instructors made a mistake and had to do the whole thing again. BUGGER!!!!!

expedite_climb
23rd Sep 2004, 13:00
I think alarm bells probably ring if there isnt tippex in your logbook....

I've got 4500 hrs now, and almost did my last page without tippex; until the last entry. Agggh.

Possibly an urban myth - but heard a story about an ops director who was caught by the CAA for fiddling ops returns with flight duty periods on. Reason ? They were all neat, and with no mistakes !

OneIn60rule
25th Sep 2004, 13:26
You shouldn't even be using tippex.
If you manage to make a mistake then simply draw a line through it to make it invalid. Using tippex to cover your mistake is not a desired method in many schools. I'm seriously doubting if even Air lines would accept looking at them in that format.

Point of interest, it makes your logbook look a lot nicer if you use ONE type of colour in it instead of mixing it up with black and blue. Learning to write in small letters makes it a lot nicer and can be done by buying one of those pens with a very very fine point.

Monitorverticalspeed
26th Sep 2004, 15:10
Hi all,

A thought crossed my mind when flying the other day, what happens if you loose or your logbook gets destroyed, perish the thought!

Do you all have a back up copy??

OneIn60rule
26th Sep 2004, 15:30
your logged hours in another folder. I assume that if anyone really did lose or have his/her logbook destroyed then all he/she would do is go back to their old schools and write down all the hours in a new logbook. Of course if you did training with 3-5 different schools then this may be a bit of a chore.

Cheers
1/60

QNH 1013
26th Sep 2004, 16:47
Well there's plenty of Tipex in my logbooks, but this has never caused the CAA any difficulties. I suspect they would be more suspicious if everything was too "perfect".

I have now transfered all my logbook records to a computer logbook program ( which someone on pprune had written and sent me a copy for free). This took nearly 20 hours of keyboard entries.

The CAA have accepted printouts from this twice now, but they do insist that you sign every single page, which is a bit of a chore when there are 50 + pages. However, it does prevent you having to worry about logbooks getting lost in the post.

dreamingA380
26th Sep 2004, 17:44
Ha Ha,

There is tippex on every single page in my first logbook! Thank god that one is full and now trying much harder on the second!

As for back up... I photocopy every single page and keep it in a ring binder at a different address! You may call it anal but I would hate to loose it... I dont even let the CAA keep my book and never post it!

Luke SkyToddler
27th Sep 2004, 07:51
Bah humbug.

All three of my logbooks look like an explosion in a tippex factory, and I was told by one of my first instructors that my handwriting was worse than a monkey trying to write a doctor's prescription, but it didn't stop me from getting a decent airline job.

Everyone knows that all chief pilots are crusty old curmudgeons who only bother to update their logbooks once in six months anyway and their logbooks are total spider scrawl.

fernytickles
23rd Nov 2004, 19:32
And that tippex just smells soooooooooo good :cool:

Whirlygig
23rd Nov 2004, 20:08
When I sent mine off to the CAA after my PPL , I must have doubled its weight in Tippex.:p

I started correcting errors by neatly drawing a line through the original entry and writing the correct one at the side - then, with confusion over logging rotor hours, had to correct it all again. Used Tippex mouse which is much cleaner than bottled Tippex which can go gungey.

Another tip I was shown with bottled Tippex is to store it upside down i.e. on it's lid as it is the air in the bottle which causes it to thicken and dry - this way the gunky stuff is at the bottom of the bottle!

I keep a back up copy on an internet logbook system. I input the times and it calculates the hours to be logged and totals it for me so I can neatly write in my logbook now.

I think the CAA forgave my liberal use of correction tape because my writing is devilishly neat and all written in black, fine-tipped pen :O .

Cheers

Whirlygig