PDA

View Full Version : Cargo fligthts require ETOPS certification

soares
21st Sep 2004, 22:11
Just wonder if cargo flights are also required to be certified ETOPS if flying a 2 engine aircraft, and if so, are the same rules apllied as for pax flights.

Thanks...

CR2
1st Oct 2004, 10:09
We'll give this a try in the Questions forum.

Daysleeper
1st Oct 2004, 10:50
yes and yes.

Though any extra equipment loaded for pax flights (perhaps extra O2) is not required.

In the UK at least, cargo has the same regulations as pax. The covering phrase is "Public Transport" and very little difference is made for passengers or freight.

Obviously there are certain items that you can carry on a freighter that would not be allowed on a passenger aircraft as they are too dangerous.
I think I'm straying off topic now so I'll shut up.

Hot Rod
1st Oct 2004, 21:26
When I did an ETOPS course with Airbus in Toulouse I was told that ETOPS means "ENGINES TURNING OR PASSENGERS SWIMMING" so it cant have anything to do with cargo...
:ok:
:D

soares
1st Oct 2004, 22:47
thank you for the answers...but I still have my doubts....as I have never seen any DHL A300 or 757 certified ETOPS

GlueBall
1st Oct 2004, 23:43
soares says: "...I have never seen any DHL A300 or 757 certified ETOPS."

There is nothing on the "outside" of the airplane, assuming that you are not a pilot or that you have not asked a DHL pilot, that would tell you whether or not a particular twin engined airplane is certified as such;...unless the operator were to make such a claim by writing "ETOPS" on the side of the fuselage.

ETOPS certification is required only when operating in an ETOPS environment.

Daysleeper
2nd Oct 2004, 06:58
s I have never seen any DHL A300 or 757 certified ETOPS

we dont go anywhere that requires ETOPS so we havent got it.
If we wanted it then with the 75 at least its just a paperwork exercise to get approval.

no point in paying for something you dont use.

banana head
2nd Oct 2004, 10:30
When I did an ETOPS course with Airbus in Toulouse I was told that ETOPS means "ENGINES TURNING OR PASSENGERS SWIMMING" so it cant have anything to do with cargo...

Hey Hot Rod, what about the freighter version " ENGINES TURNING OR PARCELS SINKING" ?? ;)