PDA

View Full Version : re: Geeky question re: BA A320s....

DanielP
21st Sep 2004, 18:50
Hello,

This is a bit of a sad question, for which I really hang my head for even caring about, but I managed to start an argument about the winglets on BA, GB Air and BMed A320s and now I have to find out the answer to save my pride!! I noticed some had a red stripe down the back of the winglets and others had a red stripe along the bottom of the winglet + a red stripe on the end of each flap strut.

Does anyone know if there is a real reason for this? I had thought that it was a way of quickly telling between similar BAW, GBL and BMed aircraft, but a more thorough search of airliners.net has proved me wrong.

Any ideas?

Anyone care, even?!

Daniel

speed freek
21st Sep 2004, 19:56
Not sure mate, but at a guess it might be hazard markings for ground vehicles. Any one else?

Cheers.

speedbird_heavy
21st Sep 2004, 20:07
I'd say they are to prevent ground service vehicles from dinging them aswell.

Anti-ice
21st Sep 2004, 21:12
Unless its one of the really old 5 A320 'prototypes' which have no winglets at all :ooh:

These are -100 series , what the difference is , i'd be intrigued to know!
Perhaps they run on windows 88 :}

DanielP
21st Sep 2004, 21:15
Yes....suprised that they haven't retro-fitted the -100s with winglets. Windows 98? Even worse, Windows ME :{

codpiece face
22nd Sep 2004, 15:10
Yes its to stop or try to stop ground vehicles smacking the aircraft certainly with some of the aircraft you will find the ends of the flap fairings are only painted on the rh side of the aircraft ( cargo door side )