PDA

View Full Version : Good book - propellerhead

karrank
21st Sep 2004, 00:19
propellerhead by Antony Woodward

The tale of a yuppie's progress from complete ignorance of aviation as anything other than something you buy a ticket to participate in to passing competence as a 'microlight' pilot, central character being a much abused Thruster.

Along the way he documents his terrorfying lack of competence and understanding in a most engaging way. Decisions he makes along the way that instantly turn to crap, resolved by passively waiting terror rather than steely-eyed right stuff has helped me to appreciate right responses don't arise from heritage or inate intelligence, they have to be learnt.

Absolute hoot of a book.

engine out
21st Sep 2004, 07:08
Read this book about two years ago, and agree a fantastic story that many people could relate to. Think I might have to read it again now that you've mentioned it.

PropDuster
23rd Sep 2004, 01:24
Read this book a couple of years ago while living in the UK so could definitly relate on a couple of fronts. Well written refreshingly frank account of the numerous hoops to bend over backwards through while learning aviation. Well worth a read.

AT502
24th Sep 2004, 21:25
More details please................ Got the title & author, need a publisher. Will try to get it online

Can I suggest in return, one of my favourite aviation books, 'Great Flying Doctor Stories' by Bill Marsh. Published by ABC Books. This is full of true stories from the many adventures the RFDS undertake. The humour is brilliant, plus very sad stories.

I have to say I have always been aware of the RFDS, but when I read this book about 6 years ago, it changed my outlook. I now have a friend flying for RFDS. So between these two, I have stopped donations to the Red Cross etc. and changed to the RFDS, it is truly remarkable what they do.

Anyway it a very light and bloody funny read............. Very highly recommended.

ST

Deaf
30th Sep 2004, 11:59
Checked it in Borders today Harper Collins
ISBN: 0007107285