20th Sep 2004, 16:23
Sorry, computer problem. The ñ should be p

Not quite, he left out the "S" part

Techman
20th Sep 2004, 16:40
Look again, machonepointone.

hawk37
20th Sep 2004, 16:58
Not trying to hijack a thread, but it always seemed odd to me that as an aircraft speeds up, the coefficient of drag of an aircraft or airfoil increases. I'm assuming level flight, and I'm not considering any compressibility factor.
OTOH, I believe a sphere though has a constant CD regardless of speed, not considering compressibility.
Hawk

BEagle
20th Sep 2004, 17:58
Not actually true.

That part of Cd representing lift dependent drag increases with the square of Cl. If you're in level flight and slow down, then up must go AoA and hence Cl if you wish to maintain level flight.

Cdi = k Cl**2/pi * AR (k is a constant, Cl**2 means Cl squared, pi means 3.14159 and AR is the aeroplane's aspect ratio.)

Which is why there's a 'min drag speed' for any aeroplane.

machonepointone
20th Sep 2004, 18:05
Techman,

You're right - I did miss the "S" bit in John Farley's formula. Apologies to John.

hawk37
20th Sep 2004, 19:38
Sorry, I worded that backwards. I should have said that as an aircraft speeds up, the coefficient of drag decreases. Yet a sphere, or racecar for another example, will not change their Coefficient of drag as speed changes.
However, I can see this is not an apples to apples comparison, since an aircraft in level flight will change it’s profile to the air (as Beagle pointed out via a Coefficient of lift change), while a sphere, or racecar won’t.

Hawk

Oktas8
22nd Sep 2004, 09:11
Shouldn't that be
"As an aircraft speeds up, the coefficient of lift-dependent drag decreases, and the coefficient of lift-independent drag doesn't change, except for small changes in aircraft attitude"?

Helps explain why spheres don't change Cd (lift independent).

But what about the drag of a soccer ball at increasing mach numbers... :confused: :uhoh: :ooh:

David Luther
22nd Sep 2004, 14:32
thanks guys appreciate it.