PDA

View Full Version : Flybe 2005 Pilot Sponsorship Scheme

AlphaCharlie
20th Sep 2004, 14:39
Surprised this isn't already on here being avidly discussed and commented on!

Flight International 21 - 27 September 2004:

PILOT SPONSORSHIP IN 2005
Flybe. British European is the UK's number one independent regional low fares airline. Passenger growth is expected to rise to 4.5 million in 2004/5, across 25 international and 17 domestic destinations. The airline is pleased to announce that it will once again offer a part sponsorship scheme for cadet pilots. Successful applicants will benefit from a proven formula with flybe. making a substantial contribution towards the initial cost of a JAA ATP Integrated Course with Cabair at Cranfield.

Applicants must be between the age of 20 - 28 on 1st March 2005, have the unrestricted right to work in the UK, and have an absolute minimum of 5 GCSEs and 2 A level passes preferably in Mathematics and Science based subjects. You will already hold, or be capable of holding, a JAR Class 1 medical certificate.

If you meet these requirements and have the enthusiasm and drive to join this winning team email [email protected] now for a prospectus. Please quote reference BE9 and include your full address with postcode.

Closing date for applications is 29th October 2004.

give me an axe
20th Sep 2004, 17:24
only contemplate if you don't mind working very hard for very little for many years !!!!!

LVL CHG
20th Sep 2004, 17:47
Yeah, but flying the Q400 would be a blast.... Don't expect to make any money in this business anyway. What do you mean about working hard? How much harder would it be than flying for Easy or Ryanair? Any examples?

KiloXray
20th Sep 2004, 17:55
Excellent news...

...but is there any mention of the contirbution required by the "chosen ones"? I seem to remember £33k being mentioned in the past for prevous years' schemes.

KX

747 Downwind
20th Sep 2004, 20:58
I really wish they would change this forum to:

'Interviews and jobs ONLY'

Put sponsorships where they belong with Professional Pilot Training. There are great deal of wannabes, many suitably qualified, who could fill that requirement of four cadets. Such a waste when there is a great surplus of pilots.

Nevertheless, respect to FlyBE:cool: . because they are one of a few carriers willing to take on self-sponsored (non type-rated) crew.. and yes their pay is pants BUT if money is so imperative then what donkey would consider being a pilot.. go and become a trader innit:p

To those wishing to gain the sponsorship, I wish you all the best, yes it is about £33k but they've got financial stability and it's a 99% guaranteed job!

winch launch
21st Sep 2004, 16:39
Does anyone know what s the maximum experience u can have? or knows what it was like in the past?
I am approaching from 200 hours and should start aerotowing/para droping quite soon.
Is it the kind of sponsorship where they are looking for real abinitios, thinking that people with to many flight hours have bad flying habits?
Also what kind of other experience (other than flying) do they like?

Cheers

Winch

no sponsor
21st Sep 2004, 19:42
I have it from a fairly reliable source that the selecting school prefer you to have Maths, Physics at a-level, and an aero-engineering related degree. To them, you will present the least risk of failing any part of the course.

GMIMA
22nd Sep 2004, 14:35
How silly can you get? When there is a surplus of well trainind pilots out there who already have a frozen atpl.

Penworth
22nd Sep 2004, 15:35
Gmima, hasn't that always been the case? and yet there have always been sponsorship schemes too. It seems some airlines prefer to recruit that way (not that its done those who recruit fATPL holders too much harm, recruiting already qualified pilots!) :confused:

PW

AJ
22nd Sep 2004, 15:49
Guess it's easier to retain bonded cadets.

Still mighty good opportunity for anyone that qualifies; I'm certainly not complaining - life's a lot harder if you live in the US or the Antipodes where airlines wouldn't dream at looking at anyone shy of 3000hrs...

The Moog
22nd Sep 2004, 17:04
I've sent off for the information, but expect it to be very similar to what they offered last year:
You pay £33,484 (to be precise)
They pay £23,265

Now the bit that interests me on top of the above is the line:

I]Once employed by flyBE, the pilot candidate will be paid the appropriate Sponsored Pilot's salary, which may be less than the market rate appropriate to a non-sponsored employee.[/I]

Looking at F/O wages on the Q400 (which I suspect the sponsored cadets would fly) is £24,336, and with the above line from the prospectus last year, I'm interested in what the starting salary would be - £20k?

With a debt to repay of £33,000 + living costs for that year in training, what's that going to leave you to live on and how long do you stay on the 'Sponsored Pilot's' pay? Will it be for 5 years so you effectively pay for your whole training?....?????

Sponsorship is great, but how do-able is it?

I'm also looking at paying for the APP at Oxford and I'll be looking at what my options are closely - the sponsorship may not be the best workable option, although it does offer slightly better security at the end of training.

Any other thoughts on this?

AJ
22nd Sep 2004, 18:51
Maybe I don't get it but this is how I see it:

1/ Pay around £70k to go to Oxford (after factoring in possible resits and miscellaneous items not included in the course costs.)

- No guarantee that bank will lend you that amount.

- If they do, you'll need security which brings up further complications.

- Most importantly: much less chance of getting a job immediately after graduating.

- Very high loan repayments (approx. £650/month judging by previous posts on pprune).

2/ Part sponsorship, if successful;

- Pay significantly less

- Bank likely to look much more favourably on applicant given a potential employer is involved

- possibly more favourable terms due to sponsorship (i.e. no security required)

- much higher chance of moving straight into employment (i.e. with flybe.)

- lower loan repayments, certainly more affordable if you're actually earning something instead of nothing.

As for £20,000, it's not a bad salary at all, and living costs shouldn't present too much of a problem if you're not living in or around London. (Not sure where the airline would base you though).

As for the cadet salary, forgive me for being naive, but if I got that sponsorship the exact details of the cadet salary wouldn't be foremost on my mind. ;) You wouldn't be bonded to them for ever...

To me the choice seems obvious...apply for all the sponsorships going, providing you're elegible. The alternative costs a lot more...

Straightandlevel80kt
22nd Sep 2004, 20:50
AJ - That's a good call which sums it up correctly. The key here has to be that rare thing called 'a good likelihood of getting a job', something rather scarce in other self funded routes.

Good luck everyone.

S.71
22nd Sep 2004, 22:50
Does anyone know how long it takes (approx.) for the recruiting officer at Cabair to send a reply to the initial request for information?

:cool: S.71

BigGrecian
23rd Sep 2004, 15:02
I also have sent off for the pack with no information having as yet being received.

£20k a year is more than those CTC types get!

Hmmm
28th Sep 2004, 12:41
Has anyone received an application form yet?

EGAC_Ramper
28th Sep 2004, 13:40
Still waiting here for the forms to arrive.:hmm:

Cheers

JT8
28th Sep 2004, 14:48
£20k a year is more than those CTC types get!

Erm.... I turned a job down with Flybe am and now with easyJet via the CTC ATP scheme. Over the 6 months I pocket £8k, then get full FO salary (around £40k including sector pay).

Read up on the flybe scheme before doing diving in, the salary may work out much less than you anticipate.

S.71
28th Sep 2004, 14:58
checking the post every day, nothing yet... did anyone get an e-mail acknowledgement?

AlphaCharlie
28th Sep 2004, 15:06
Don't panic about not receiving the prospectus and application forms yet, apparently they have only just been delivered to Cabair so shall no doubt be posted out in the next few days.

S.71
28th Sep 2004, 15:08
Thankyou very much for the info Alpha Charlie!

CB1
29th Sep 2004, 10:47
Recieved the application this morning....

cadet pays £32900, flybe £23265.

Initial contract is for sponsorship only, cadets must accept offer of employment for a period of three years after training (if they do not recieve one immediatly after)

course to start in march 2005 completion in april 2006.

Four phases of selection, £50 for stage two (after application form) £100 for stage three.

Still its extremely desirable....

Blinkz
29th Sep 2004, 11:18
My prospectus and application form arrived this morning. selection looks fun :ok:

ChocksAwayUK
29th Sep 2004, 11:24
I received it this morning too.

With my current plan of action (I'm currently half way through ATPL groundschool) I'll be qualified about a year earlier and at significantly less cost.

Of course then i won't have a guaranteed job, but weighing that up against the saved cash and the year in which to find a job i don't think I'm gonna apply so there's one less bit of competition for you lot.

Good luck to those who are going for it.

EGAC_Ramper
29th Sep 2004, 13:11
Agh this sucks,like yourse;ves recieved the prospectus this morning.To my horror Phase 2 of selection occurs on 19th November,which unfortuantely to me I will be in california thus making it troublesome.I return from States on the 21st of November after some hour buidling.:mad: :( Don't know if I should maybe try and get flights changed to allow me to reurn in time or just bugger it.

Regards:{

acw350
29th Sep 2004, 16:57
:ugh:

Hey all i did recieve the pack from CCAT, it all looks well but for me only one problem on the requirements. I have 2 grade D's at A level instead of their min of 2 c's and above. Does anyone know of anyone getting through on lower than initial min requirements at all? I have all the rest including class one, ppl and starting groundschool at cabairs sister school in bournemouth (EPTA).

Thanks in advance for any light on this matter.

philltowns
30th Sep 2004, 18:25
As no previous flying experience in required, anyone know whether a PPL would push you down their list?

Vee One...Rotate
30th Sep 2004, 18:36
It could work for you or against you...who knows? Different sponsors have different ideas of what's the ideal candidate. Depends on the attitude of FlyBE/CCAT I suppose...and of course the day of the week ;)

I'd apply (if it's for you) and put in 100% to get it...PPL or not...nothing at all to lose. Use everything you have going for you to your advantage - use your PPL as evidence to show your commitment and exposure to flying etc.

If you got dissappointing grades, explain how it was a setback but you've dealt with it etc.

If you have no flying experience, be ready to explain why (if appropriate) and put a positive spin on it etc.

My advice would be to just sell yourself like silly...whoever you are, whatever your background. Worst they can say is "Get the hell out of my office!"

All the best to those you apply,

V1R :ok:

The Moog
3rd Oct 2004, 12:45
Does anyone know how long it would take to transfer onto the jet fleet (that's assuming the jet fleet is in the long-term plan of the airline)?

And what about time to reach commander position?

Any info is useful!

Thanks
The Moog

MaxProp
6th Oct 2004, 20:33
At the moment the jet fleet is contracting and the Q400 fleet expanding so there is no sensible projection of time scale to the jet. However, a decision on a new jet is expected within months.

Time to command on the Q400 is 2000hrs plus for experience that is all flybe----3/4 years.

The Moog
6th Oct 2004, 21:35
I know this is here for the sponsorship, but that was an interesting last post about new Jet a/c MaxProp....

Embraer 170/190 sounds like a good possibility
or maybe Fokker 100s - lots of them about and therefore cheap (maybe also 70s too) - although not too cheap to operate
CRJ700 maybe possible - although having recently been rid of the CRJ200s, maybe not...
And what about 737s, I think they can operate into everywhehere they want.....ah, bar London city

My money is on Embraer 170/190s...what do others think?....

Thanks also for the info regarding time to command.

The Moog

Sorry, missed the possibility of A318s/A319s as an option for the new jet fleet...

Would LCY still pose a problem though or would they send Q400s there (or do they already?)

The Moog

beauport potato man
6th Oct 2004, 23:34
The Moog,

interesting thoughts, but as has previously discussed on these forums, FlyBE have already announced in writing that the choice is between A319 and B737.

There is, once again, talk of wet leasing a 737 next year to gain operational experience of the type.

I guess that's just incase we discover something that the 3 million other 737 operators haven't....... (???!!!)

I suppose, however, that until the new a/c is seen in the flesh then it could be anything.

BPM

The Moog
7th Oct 2004, 21:45
Wasn't aware of that,

Many thanks,

The Moog

I 8 146
9th Oct 2004, 10:08
I think flybe probably continue to sponsor pilot cadets rather than take on existing atpl holders because they want employees with the right skills to be future commanders, rather than those who have parents rich enough to buy them an atpl.

winch launch
9th Oct 2004, 12:15
Can anyone tell me what are the exact dates of every single steps. I have ATPL exams to take and I need to make sure the selection doesn t happen at the same time

cheers

winch launch

EGAC_Ramper
9th Oct 2004, 13:22
I think flybe probably continue to sponsor pilot cadets rather than take on existing atpl holders because they want employees with the right skills to be future commanders, rather than those who have parents rich enough to buy them an atpl.

Well FlyBE's sponsorship annually is for only 6 cadets,so that alone is not going to cover their recruitment needs.As for taking fATPL holders they do take a large number with low hours,I myself spoken to a number of them.Aswell as this all persons gaining a fATPL Dont have rich parents! I certainly don't and have worked for it.:)

Regards

jamie060
14th Oct 2004, 18:35
Is there anybody that still hasn't received their application pack for the sponsorship.
I have sent loads of e-mails and had no reply.

Cheers

Vee One...Rotate
15th Oct 2004, 20:26
Mine was very quick - it arrived within a few days. I'd double-check the email address you've got and, failing that, just ring up Cabair and get a real person (!) to sort it out :)

Good luck :ok:

V1R

rajomelly
19th Oct 2004, 20:08
jamie060,

i have also emailed cabair a couple of times, firstly on 21st sept and then again last week but still nothing. I think a phone call is in order....

rajomelly

CB1
27th Oct 2004, 22:06
Well deadline day is fast approaching and I thought I’d bring the thread back onto the main page at least.

There haven’t been too many users of this thread and I thought it would be good to try to discover what type of experience people applying had and if anybody had heard anything from cabair as to the next stage etc yet.

I looked at last years thread and saw there seemed to be some confusion about what they were looking for, people with 100+ hours were not getting to stage 2, some with more some with none were!!! Anybody any thoughts.... is the additional information section the winner?

Good luck all those applying/applied!

ps. I only have 2.5 hours of experience, a non aviation economics degree!... four A levels- none science based a D in math’s and 3 A's in other subjects.

PPRuNeUser0162
28th Oct 2004, 09:17
CB1, my experience and degree is broadly the same as you. I applied last year and got through to stage 2, but didn't get any further. I've applied again this year, although whether I even get to stage 2, I'll have to wait and see. I have a feeling they may reject me due to my results last time, but I'll have to wait and see

Blinkz
28th Oct 2004, 11:55
What kind of maths questions did they ask last time round?

CB1
28th Oct 2004, 13:48
do a search for the old thread i think there's some things on there. I did see the mention of area of a circle etc.

waiting to see if i get called for interview before I start thinking about that, don't want to tempt fate!!

PPRuNeUser0162
28th Oct 2004, 13:53
I seem to remember alot of questions that could have come straight from my Physics and Maths A-Levels, if only I could have remembered them!!!! :{

There was no interview at Stage 2, just 3 sets of tests.

Artificial Horizon
29th Oct 2004, 09:57
With regard to the possibility of Flybe aquiring new jets in the near future it would appear thier intention is now clear. See:

http://www3.flybe.com/news/0410/25.htm

The first to operate out of Birmingham is going to be a leased aircraft to 'gain operational experience' after which an announcment is expected with regard to the fleet replacement. It could be a good time to be joining.

Cheers,

A.H.

With regard to the possibility of Flybe aquiring new jets in the near future it would appear thier intention is now clear. See:

www3.flybe.com/news/0410/25.htm

The first to operate out of Birmingham is going to be a leased aircraft to \'gain operational experience\' after which an announcment is expected with regard to the fleet replacement. It could be a good time to be joining.

Cheers,

A.H.

www3.flybe.com/news/0410/25.htm

The first to operate out of Birmingham is going to be a leased aircraft to \'gain operational experience\' after which an announcment is expected with regard to the fleet replacement. It could be a good time to be joining.

Cheers,

A.H.

oompa loompa
3rd Nov 2004, 19:43
Anyone heard anything back yet? I've not...

CB1
3rd Nov 2004, 22:42
Nothing as yet either.....with the next stage two weeks tomorrow I would think it will be middle of next week latest to those called.

I think last years figures were 60 called to next stage out of 360!

good luck

The Moog
3rd Nov 2004, 23:25
Looking at similar thread for last year, it took around 8 days from application close to the first notification of a letter being received....

so Saturday at the earliest I guess......

The Moog

james99
6th Nov 2004, 11:10
Received my acceptance letter onto stage 2 this morning. Very excited to say the least! Over 350 applications were received by Cabair. Anyone else heard anything?

Funky Buddha
6th Nov 2004, 11:23
Yeah got letter today also, pretty happy to say the least, thought it would never come!

If were down to the last 60 already, thats pretty good going......

Blinkz
6th Nov 2004, 12:12
I got a letter today, didn't get onto the 2nd stage. Doesn't bode well for the future if I can't even get past the application :yuk:

CB1
6th Nov 2004, 12:58
Looks like i'll be seeing a few of you on the 19th! Think some revision over the next couple of weeks will be on the cards. congrats to all those who got through.

those who didn't (post above) keep trying and try and take some positives by looking at what you can do to improve future apps.... one thing i've learnt already is you have to be prepared to keep getting up after being knocked back!!!

liketheysaiditwould
6th Nov 2004, 14:11
Looks like we will have to wait till monday here in good old Ireland to hear back!!.

Is there many who are from Ireland who applied??

Also, all that are getting the the call for stage 2, what sort of experience etc., does everyone have, just to see if there is a trend.

LTSIW

BETZ
6th Nov 2004, 17:39
Got an opportunity with FLYbe, next selection process is the Maths & Physics tests.

Does anyone know of any example papers that could be used to revise for these tests/ exams?

Any info. will be appreciated.:\

CAB1
7th Nov 2004, 14:09
Congrats to all those who got through to stage 2 with the Flybe scheme. Unfortunately got a rejection letter on Saturday but hey thats part of life!

Would be interested to know the beackground of those who got through to stage 2 i.e education, number of hours etc..

philsy
8th Nov 2004, 10:38
I got the "better luck next time" letter today. Bit surprised as i usually make it past the application stage. I do have zero hours though.
I am currently saving up to pay my own way so i am not too deterred by this. I have a 2:1 degree in physics in case anyone wants to know my background.
I can only guess the zero hours put them off or i cocked up my application form somewhere.
good luck to those who got through.:mad: :p

OUASrules!
8th Nov 2004, 11:31
hi guys

Well done to those who have made it through to the second stage of flybe. Does anyone know what the three tests entail at all? Ive heard vicious rumours that they are essentially maths/physics a-level papers. This is not too good for me as the last time i touched maths was GCSE, and although I did physics at a-level, i did pretty badly!

I find it hard to believe that all they ask for in they're requirements in 5 GCSEs and 2 a-levels (not even maths and physics), yet they assess at this level! Oh well, I guess a couple of weeks hard slog is on the cards!!

In regards to my background, it is of a science nature, and I do have some flying experience. Whether that will benefit me remains to be seen!

Good luck with the revision and see you ll soon!

run a mile
8th Nov 2004, 11:53
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from them? I think I’m going to give them a call to see what’s happening!

I guess it would be strange for them to send out some letters and not others?

Brasher
8th Nov 2004, 11:55
Hello all,

somebody asked about previous experience. I currently have 93 hours 45 inc 40:30 Day PIC, 51:20 Day p.u/t, 0:25 Night PIC, 1:35 Night P.u/t and 6 hours IMC.

I have A-Level equivalent Maths and Physics and a BENG (Hons).

I recently heard about one guy who got into a similar shceme on his 8th application. I guess persistance is the answer.

Regards,
M

OUASrules!
8th Nov 2004, 12:01
Brasher

You're experience sounds like it would be beneficial, especially your a-levels/degree. What response have you had from any sponsorship schemes in the past? Are you going for this flybe sponsorship? If so, ill see you on the 19th!

Have you heard anything about what to expect for the 3 tests on stage 2?

I agree, perseverence is defintely the way forward!!

Cheers

Brasher
8th Nov 2004, 12:11
OUASrules!,

I will be at Stage 2. As far as I can ascertain it will be Maths and Physics A/S level questions without a calculator. I'm practicing long division and multiplication this evening!

I did start the CTC sponsorship application but only did the very initial internet only bit. I was asked to submit the questions but havn't as yet. I did the RAF Flying Sholarship, an Air League Flying Scholarship.

I recommend the Air League Scholarships and Bursaries to everyone.

If anyone else has an insight as to the content of stage 2 I'd be interested to hear from you.

Regards,
M

OUASrules!
8th Nov 2004, 12:43
Brasher

I too applied to CTC earlier this year, got through to stage 3 but cocked it up there and got no further. They did 'hint' that they may call me back to do it again tho as i did quite well at stage 2. so fingers crossed for either CTC or flybe - both would be awesome!

Just a quick Q: seeing as you did A-level maths/physics, what sort of things do you think they will test at stage 2 without the use of calculator? Sine, cosine, tan etc? I guess basics such as speed/distance /time, fuel burn will be useful to refresh on, therefore long x and / would be good!

Good luck with it all. I would recommend CTC - give it a go as well.

Cheers

Brasher
8th Nov 2004, 17:21
OUASrules!,

I didn't do A-Level, I did Scottish Higher and Advanced Higher (Formally CSYS). We had a calculator paper and a non-calculator paper do do. I'm concentrating my studies on algebra, vectors, matrices, object areas etc.

M

PPRuNeUser0162
8th Nov 2004, 17:47
Just got the "thanks but no thanks" letter. I'm not too surprised as they will have my results from last year on hand I would assume. Ah well. I'll have to pursue other means.

Good luck to everyone else :ok:

Straightandlevel80kt
8th Nov 2004, 19:55
Hey kids

Another one bites the dust.

After 8 years of trying, it's now game over for me. I am now officially too old for any of the other sponsorships and this was my last shot. Goes to show that even with an acceptance letter from BA nailed to the front of your application, it's still a lottery where you can be outnumbered and out-gunned at every turn. At some point you have to accept that an 18 year old is a much more attractive prospect than a 27 (nearly 28) year old, whatever experience and recommendations you have behind you.

All the best to the lucky six.

S&L

The Moog
8th Nov 2004, 20:23
Straight & Level,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get further. I'm in a similar position to you, have been applying for, erm, about 7 yrs now and I'm getting a bit too old too.

I've always figured that self-sponosrship wasn't an option due to the funding needed, but after doing well with BY sponsorship this year, followed it up and it is 'do-able', although the thought of repaying a loan of £60k (+ interest) isn't the best option, it is an option!

As for my application to flyBE, I think my letter from Cabair is either lost in the post somewhere, or sitting at the wrong address...I think I'll call them tomorrow.....

The Moog

Vee One...Rotate
8th Nov 2004, 21:05
Brasher,

Erm...I think you're wasting your time on studying matrices - you won't be asked a single question on them! A level equivalent mathematics isn't a prerequisite for any of these sponsorship schemes. Same with in-depth vectors. Ai + Bj +Ck, vectors intercepting planes (the flat kind!) and the like won't make an appearance for the same reason.

Algebra and trig fair enough...

Just get really good at the more basic stuff!

V1R :ok:

Brasher
8th Nov 2004, 21:21
Thanks V1R.

You say "really basic", do you mean long division etc? Any help would be appreciated. My letter from CCAT says "There will be three papers which will be maths and physics based, set to the equivalent of A/S Level (use of calculators will not be permitted)."

Does anybody know how this compares to the likes of the CTC scheme?

Regards,
M

Vee One...Rotate
8th Nov 2004, 22:24
I'd say a good handle on algebra (nothing much above re-arranging equations quickly and accurately I'd imagine), trigonometry (knowing all the sines, cosines & tangents of angles like 30, 45 and 60 deg might be useful) and geometry (areas, Pythagoras' theorem, etc.) and mental arithmetic (inc. long division and basically just being able to deal with numbers accurately and quickly in your head as opposed to with a calculator).

Just my take on things. The reason I don't think it can go into higher maths is that, in general, the requirements for these schemes do not require anything more than GCSE maths (this is also the minimum requirement for ATPL studies if you have a peek at flight school brochures).

Of course, cadetships are a bit more demanding in terms of requirements but still, in principle, will accept candidates with A-level equivalent qualifications not NECESARILY including maths and physics...though many will offer these and a degree.

DISCLAIMER ;)

Of course, take what CCAT say above what I do but as the general requirements don't demand A-level maths, I can't see how the questions can be toooo advanced. Having A-level equivalent maths (as I think you say you do) should give you more than enough ammo to handle the questions - just get that mental arithmetic up to scratch I reckon!

Best of luck, I've just fininshed uni and am currently doing my PPL before hopefully applying for sponsorship schemes like this...currently trying to randomly do maths on the walk home from work, in the pub etc. to keep sharp!

:ok:

V1R

Wing_Bound_Vortex
9th Nov 2004, 02:26
s+l 80kts,

the ctc scheme now accepts applicants up to 30 years old, if you haven't already applied then have a go, or if u have and didn't make it past stage 3/4 then ask about re-applying, there are plenty of guys in nz who failed at one stage or another but made it through the 2nd time

WBV

David_Houston
9th Nov 2004, 11:37
Hi there!

I am also waiting for a response from flybe, but I am living in Northern Ireland, perhaps that is why I have not heard back from them yet.

Anyone out there from NI or the Republic who has heard back?

Thanks!

And well done to all those who have got in!

OUASrules!
9th Nov 2004, 13:20
V1R

Your take on things sounds pretty accurate and encouraging! As all ive done before are the CTC tests, I havent got a lot to judge it against, but all they wanted was arithetric (long / and x) to work out things like fuel burn, time to climb/descend, speed/distance/time etc. I agree, a more than comprehensive grasp of the basics is the key.

For those who have done A-level standard maths/physics, I think you will all be more than alright with the level of testing.

Good luck with the PPL. Sounds like we are in similar postions; I too have just finished uni and also have a PPL. Good luck with future applications.

Good luck to everyone whatever their situation.

OUAS

liketheysaiditwould
9th Nov 2004, 13:27
Re: Hearing back in Ireland.

I got my 'thanks but your no good letter' yesterday (Monday).

I have an Honours Degree, but as of yet 0 hours, maybe that was the reason I failed.

Anyways onwards and upwards....

LTSIW

Vee One...Rotate
9th Nov 2004, 13:35
liketheysaiditwould,

I guarantee that every pro pilot cruising in their shiny prop/jet has had at least one, if not many, dissappointments like yours. I reckon it comes down to a positive attitude and a "glass-is-half-full" outlook - we'll all get our big breaks if we keep at it :ok:

Their loss ;)

The routes to a RHS are many and varied...and all a lot of fun I'm sure.

All the best chaps/chapesses,

V1R

David_Houston
9th Nov 2004, 14:00
Thanks to liketheysaiditwould. I am at work a the moment, so I hope when I go home the letter will be there, just want to know either way. Hard luck to yourself, and as the others say, it's not the be all and end all. I am sure you will soar to success!

concorde002
9th Nov 2004, 15:30
Hello!

I got through to the stage two selection on the 19th, the letter arrived on Saturday morning, I opened it just before attending the Flyer Show!!

I had a look at the Cabair example selection tests, at the show and got an insight into what to expect....... and basically, I need to revise like mad, these next two weeks!!

I got the impression, from the Cabair staff, that the tests will be harder than CTC's but please don't hold me on that! (Unfortunatly I didn't get through CTC's stage two, my maths let me down!)

As for my experience/qualification's: I have A-levels in Geography and CDT and a Geography Honours Degree and have flown approx 5 hours in fixed wing aircraft.

If anyone from last year, who did the tests, can you provide a description of your experience?

Many Thanks

David_Houston
9th Nov 2004, 16:54
Hi guys, got back today from work (Tuesday) and still have no reply. Anyone else out there who is still to get a response? Cheers!

CB1
9th Nov 2004, 18:28
I'm sure the tests will be much harder than the CTC written maths paper, from what I remember it was a multiple choice and based on GCSE maths not A/S level.

Having done A-levels three years ago (must be getting old) I was the final year before this A/S A2 thing.

I think buy an A/S revision book and see what’s on the course then learn that. Vectors, kinematics and projectiles would all make sense to be questioned on. Without a calculator I'm not too sure how much trig they can test!!! I know nowadays they have non calculator papers etc, unfortunately it was all calculators for me!!

There is to be about five hours of testing, including breaks, so knowing a few of the questions which will be on isn't really going to help us.....confirmed topics from the person who has seen the tests?!!!!

good luck and see you there!!

winglearner
10th Nov 2004, 09:42
Hi all,

Hvae emailed twice now to try and get a prospectus from cabair, however not received any response, anyone else having the same experience???

WL

Brasher
10th Nov 2004, 17:12
I think you're too late. The application deadline was last friday the 29th of November.

Regards,
M

run a mile
10th Nov 2004, 21:38
To all those stil waiting a response:

I was still waiting for a reply on Monday morning so I gave Cabair a call. They were very helpful and let me know the result over the phone!

Looks like I will get to meet some of you on the 19th!

I am 23, have a Science degree, 4 hours powered flying and 25 hours (inc 10 solo) gliding experience for those who want to know.

The Moog
10th Nov 2004, 21:39
Have been away with work for the last few days, but my 'yes' to stage two letter arrived yesterday.

See you next week....

The Moog

David_Houston
11th Nov 2004, 09:59
Hi guys, the response did not come yesterday so I emailed Cabair last night and got the great news that I am off to stage 2!

I am looking forward to meeting all you guys there! All the best for the Maths revision.

Guess the postal service in Northern Ireland is slipping!

Paul_Bendrey
14th Nov 2004, 18:21
I will be joining you all on Friday, just wanted to know what form the tests take are there any sample papers out there?

wingbar
15th Nov 2004, 10:32
I want to say is that I feel it is appauling for any airline to sponsor people 'off the street.'
Whilst there are thousands of passionate and qualified modular and integrated students more than suitable for jobs, why not absorb those first THEN look to the street for people who think they might just fancy a chance at being ' airline pilot.'

Do the industry some good companies, stop this sponsorship crap, get your arses down to the schools, pick some nearly finished guys, by all means use selection to do so, and help them by sponsoring the final parts of their training and giving them a job at the end.
It would surely be more cost effective on both sides of the coin, plus you know that the people you are sponsoring are really going to have what it takes to do the flying, seen plenty of acad's passing Atpl's with 90%+ and making an utter balls up of the flying, to the extent that the airline pull out having lost money, - seen this twice now at my own school.

You see these scheme select the wrong type of guy/gal, they don't really want to fly, one person who shall remain nameless even admitted they didn't, just fancied the idea , status(what's left of it) & (he was sponsored by said company.)
Interesting trend?
YOU BET.

Get it sorted companies.

Wingbar

David_Houston
15th Nov 2004, 11:09
Wingbar,

Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate where you are coming from.

I have a very close friend who took the self finance modular approach and am glad to say that within 6 months he was employed by flybe.

As Flybe are offering this sponsorship scheme as well I see them as being fair and just. They are willing to award those who have put the work in themselves and funded their training. However I think it is quite unfair to take the view of detest to sponsorship schemes. Please remember that not everyone has £65,000. I believe it is a credit to flybe for offering such a scheme and investing in the young pilots' future. They are giving a chance to those who would not normally get such a wonderful opportunity, while at the same time employing those who have self financed.

I think your view while in some ways credible, is rather one sided. If you look at the broader perspective, I believe you can see that a company such as flybe is a credit to the industry.

the foz
15th Nov 2004, 11:33
I would like to put my two peneth in now. I think wingbar is being unjust with his/her comments.

Personally I have spent my whole life wanting an opportunity to become a pilot, as I'm sure most of us wannabe's have. From choosing appropriate GCSE's and A-level, then completing an aeronautical engineering degree, and now working for a top aerospace company waiting for an opportunity like this to arise. My dad is a commercial pilot and I have been around aviation all my life to date (and no not being a daddy's boy who gets what he wants!!). Sure to say that if I am unsuccesful in gaining a sponsorship when I'm approaching that tender age limit, I will undoubtedly go down the self funded route.

So how can you have the nerve to say that us sponsorship applicants do not have the passion and dedication to become a pilot. The way I see it there are opportunities there to be had, and I would be stupid not to try a sponsorship and save some money, not even forgetting the fact that we will have jobs at the end of it all. Plus I'm not sure your aware but this particular FlyBe scheme does require a £33,000 appox contribution which I personally think is still a hefty amount but I'm still willing to pay it because THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO AND I WILL DO ANYTHING IT TAKES!!!

I just get the impression that you have either failed in your own sponsorship applications previously or you have passed the age limit. What ever your background is, I think you need to stop being bitter about it!

David_Houston
15th Nov 2004, 11:46
Foz,

My feelings exactly. I thank you for being honest. I wish you every success in the future, and it would be a privilege to fly alongside you.

Kind regards,

David.

Blinkz
15th Nov 2004, 12:11
I have to say I can see where wingbar is coming from, although I don't agree with his stereotype of the sponsorship applicant.

Purely from a commercial view point it does seem strange that an airline would want to spend the extra money on a sponsorship scheme (even tho its only partial in flybes part) when there are so many unemployed pilots out there.

On the other had I also agree with the other comments, sponsorship is a great oppurtunity for people who cannot afford to go down the self funded route.

This industry is a strange place! :D

Brasher
15th Nov 2004, 12:20
wingbar,

Whilst I appreciate your comments, I agree that you sound rather bitter. I'm not sure you have chosen the right forum to "sound off" and I feel strongly that the reason you may not have been successful in the past is your strong and one-sided opinion. From speaking one Chief Pilot, two training captains one captain and eight first officers over the last year or so one thing has been repeated by ALL of them: In their opinion, you don't need to be rediculously intelligent or talented to be a pilot but mild mannered, pleasant to fly with and capable of doing the job well. Bitter certainly isn't a trait that I've heard mentioned.

The Chief Pilot puts prospective employees through the "long haul" test. If you havn't annoyed him (and he'd still go for a beer with you) after 2 hours of flying in the sim then he'll consider you for employment.

Regards,
M

CB1
15th Nov 2004, 12:40
1) An airline offering sponsorship allows them to have their pilots trained as they would like,

2) The bonding aspect ensures (in most cases) pilots remain with the airline for a long period...a company such as flybe may, until now?!, have lost piltos as they move onto bigger jets etc,

3) Who's to say that having payed for your own licence makes you better suited for the job?!

4) If a pilot isnt type rated for the job then it has the whole, 'pay for your own or company pay for it' debate....If the airline pays (£15000-20000?) then i think you'll find it not too different to their contribution to this scheme, and the pilot has no bond to the company... why should they do that?!!!

shout me down if i'm wrong!

Cheers
CB1

Paul_Bendrey
15th Nov 2004, 14:19
I am certainly not doing it for the status and have wanted to become an airline pilot for as long as I can remember, but had almost given up due to the financial implications, however this provides an opportunity where I could actually fulfil my ambition and not have to worry as much about the financial implications.

Just for the record I have an engineering degree and am a gliderpilot so the sponsorship application is definately not something done on a whim.

p.s. if anyone can let me know the format of the tests and what style/sort of question will be asked i would much appreciate it.

Brasher
16th Nov 2004, 19:49
Has anyone else had their reply pro-forma and cheque lost by the Post Office??

Looks like I won't be joining you on Friday unless I can convince Cabair that the Royal Mail are shocking. Luckily I sent it registered post but the pathetic £93 compensation really doesn't match the chance to compete for sponsorship!

Regards,
M

aerfungus
16th Nov 2004, 22:20
Have anybody received confirmation or any further correspondence since sending off the cheque and the reply?

Just wondering since Brasher, you said the Royal Mail have lost your cheque.

On another point does anyone know the easiest way to get to Cranfield from Milton Keynes station, is there any transport, as I know Cranfield is a little remote.

Aerfungus

positive_stability
16th Nov 2004, 22:31
Brasher,

I'd say contact the sponsors and explain the case! I think they will understand about the royalmail, afterall they must have heard of this happening before as they must post many items per day.....

PoS:O

Brasher
17th Nov 2004, 08:07
I found out info on

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/visit/

Regards,
M

CB1
17th Nov 2004, 09:14
I haven't heard anthing from them since sending my cheque, I'm just presuming it got there!

See you on friday!

Brasher
17th Nov 2004, 10:29
'Phoned Cabair today. Tim Sharland was exceptionally helpful and allowed me to pay by debit card since I had a receipt from the Post Office showing proof of postage. So... See you all on Fiday. (And I get my £93 compensation from the Post Office). Bounus! :D

ttoam
18th Nov 2004, 14:24
Brasher,

Can i sit next to you in the tests on friday? Recon i could do with some of your good luck!
:8

thejakes
18th Nov 2004, 16:17
Anyone else wondering how they've even got a chance of doing well tomorrow? Ha ha, just sitting doing some revision, realising how little I know, especially at A/S level!! Argghh!!

CB1
20th Nov 2004, 11:25
How did people 'enjoy' yesterday?! Any brains fried from the aural test!!

For anyone who didnt know appartently the letters are done this weekend and should be with us by Tue or Wed. Tim also mentioned something about a 500 word essay for one of the stages! sound good!:\

Paul_Bendrey
20th Nov 2004, 17:27
Yep totally agree my brain was aching after the aural!!!

How does everyone think they did??

Brasher
21st Nov 2004, 20:26
I was kicking myself on a couple of the maths written questions. Found the Aural extremely draining and the hardest of the 3. Physics was reasonable.

Regards,
M

CB1
21st Nov 2004, 22:19
I'm thinking most people will have been in the same boat with the aural, it was pretty intense but at worst you had a 25% chance of getting the ones you didn't know. I've done A level maths and to be honest think i probably only got 2 or 3 wrong on the first paper.

The physics was strange....I'm not convinced the maths paper should have been more than an hour long but at least it had things to calculate.... A lot of the physics you either knew or didn't (ie the newton law one or the resistance in circuit) I think the physics was the worst for me but think overall I did quite well.... The thing with these schemes is your against a large number of people with good abilities so the pass mark could be extremely high!

I'm hoping to get through this stage but I think the next one is where the real pressure is on...interview and pilapt tests in one day... wheres the prozac!!!(is that an anti depressant or a stress related?!)

Good luck all, hope to see some familiar faces in early Dec! ( If I'm there and not in a local public house drowning my sorrows!)

p.s I know a few people there were pprune 'viewers' but didnt want to put things on here, this is what it's for and i think you'll find there arent as many spelling, grammer (oh my god cardinal sin...grammar) and general know it all's on this section as there are on others!

Paul_Bendrey
24th Nov 2004, 10:06
has anyone heard anything yet??

David_Houston
24th Nov 2004, 10:17
Hi there as for me I left the house today before the post, so I hope there is some news when I get home from work!

Brasher
24th Nov 2004, 10:35
nothing yet. keeping my fingers crossed!

DTYSAPCO
24th Nov 2004, 10:51
good onya all who get the sponsorship

dtysapco

oompa loompa
24th Nov 2004, 11:03
I'm in! I'm soooo pleased!

Tim emailed me, though I haven't recieved the letter yet. You might want check your emails too?

There's an essey to write....should be fun! I've not written an essay for years.

Anyhow, good luck everyone else!

OL

Brasher
24th Nov 2004, 11:25
Congratulations!

Did you email Tim first? I've had nothing in the post and no reply to my email as yet. Not looking good!

David_Houston
24th Nov 2004, 11:32
I have also just checked my email and there was nothing there. So I have just sent Tim an email, but I think it's looking unlikely!

Good luck to all!

CB1
24th Nov 2004, 13:19
Nothing here either as yet, hopefully just a postal delay, I think Tim might be snowed under with emails too!!

Good luck all

Severo
24th Nov 2004, 13:33
I am also through. Dead pleased because I thought my physics had let me down.

I'm back on the 6th December - anyone else got that date?

Looking forward to the Morrisby Profile - all 3 hours of it :sad:

Severo

Brasher
24th Nov 2004, 13:48
Apparantly they won't give results over the phone. All the letters are going out today. Did you guys/gals email Tim or did he email you first?

Regards,
M

ttoam
24th Nov 2004, 15:18
Hi,

Got the e-mail from tim this morning. Yay! :ok:

So, writing essays, researching flybe and practicing how to cheat on personallity tests for the next couple of weeks!

I'm back on the 7th dec, not the 6th, so i take it there must have been a few of us got through to warrant the various dates. I heard someone say it was simply an 80% pass mark for all three papers in stage 2. Anyone know if thats true? Not that it matters really, just wondering what the odds are for phase 3.

ttoam
:E

P.S - i hate PILAPT.:{

David_Houston
24th Nov 2004, 15:46
It looks like those who have got through have been emailed and the rest of us need to wait for the bad news by letter. Well done to all of those who got through I wish you all good look and success!

That would be good luck i wish you rather!!!

oompa loompa
24th Nov 2004, 16:57
Tim emailed me without me emailing him.

I'm up on the 8th and am driving over from Bristol, probably the day before. Anyone want a lift? PM me.

Well done ttoam & Severo; all the best everyone else.

Has anyone ever done one of these morrisby profiles before? could you give us an idea of what to expect?

OL

aerfungus
24th Nov 2004, 18:18
Well done to all of you that have got through, it’s well deserved after getting through that bunch of tests.
I guess the rest of us will just have to wait for the letter and open it gingerly hoping there might be that slim chance that it says “Congratulations” and not "Unfortunately you............."

Aerfungus

Paul_Bendrey
24th Nov 2004, 19:30
Emailed Tim to see if no email means no go to stage 3 but he hasn't relpied, but then again he didn't reply when I emailed him asking him questions about the test day.

Brasher
25th Nov 2004, 10:50
Still nothing in the post. How infuriating!

M

And the letter says...... :mad: .

See you all again next year!

Regards and congrats to those who got through.

M

aerfungus
25th Nov 2004, 17:58
Got the rejection letter today. Another " Thank you for applying but no thank you" letter, to add to my large pile. Very disappointed

Best of luck to all of you that make it, I hope you make the most of it.

flying macaco
27th Nov 2004, 20:48
Unfortunately I didn't get through either, think I messed up on the aural paper. Oh well, going to keep trying, maybe see some of you next year!

For those of you still in, best of luck. Someone mentioned that there were morrisby tests involved (?!) so thought you might find the following useful:

http://www.morrisby.com/test_takers_guide/sample_questions.asp

Good luck everybody.

Oh, and the people who get in, get me a job. Please.

Severo
27th Nov 2004, 21:33
Did anyone else here get through to Stage 3?

AlphaCharlie
29th Nov 2004, 18:12
Congratulations to all those who got through to the next stage - well done and keep up the hard work and lots of research and prep for the next stage. All the best for early December.

To those of you who didn't make it; chin up and keep trying. Don't give up, learn from this experience and analyse what you did and how you can prepare and perform better for next time.

ttoam
1st Dec 2004, 20:42
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of Flybe sponsorship interviews and phase 3 in general?

Please post your thoughts, :ok:

ttoam
:E

AlphaCharlie
8th Dec 2004, 17:04
Hope all of you who attended the selection this week found it ok ... fingers crossed!

Happened to see in the newsagent just now that the Airliner World magazine out this week has a 6 page spread on the Q400 (hmmm that could prove handy eh?)

Funky Buddha
14th Dec 2004, 17:58
wonder if anyone has found out from Cabair yet regarding stage 4?

roberand
15th Jan 2005, 09:45
Wondered if anyone else had heard whether they were one of the lucky 6 for this scheme?

I found out yesterday i got the nod and am chuffed to bits after also applying for the 2004 scheme when I made it to the final stage but did not get any further!! Roll on March!! :O

roberand

Madeofmoney
16th Jan 2005, 15:54
Roberand check your PM's

james99
17th Jan 2005, 13:59
roberand,

Congratulations on getting a place on the scheme. And well done to the other 5 successful applicants.

I received the 'unsuccessful' email this morning, although I had assumed that I hadn't got in as I didn't hear anything on Friday.

Oh well, that's life! I'm obviously disappointed, but will continue to persevere and explore every option open to me in order to achieve my life long ambition.

Good luck to those starting in March!

small_dog
17th Jan 2005, 14:25
Unfortunately I also found out this lunchtime that I've been unsuccessful, but I'd had an inkling as I hadn't heard on Friday.

Well done to the successful 6 (Roberand and the others), good luck with the course and best wishes for the future.

roberand
18th Jan 2005, 20:27
small_dog / james99

thanks very much both. know how you feel having been there a year ago but there there is always next year?!

all the best and good luck to you both too

roberand