PDA

View Full Version : Advice

kippax
19th Sep 2004, 19:48
Dear all

I currently hold a PPL and have about 150-160 hours total time and am considering studying for my ATPL

Flying is something I love, but I speak to quite a lot of you guys/girls who are getting increasingly frustrated by the way you are all treated and the ever changing conditions. Plus I see a lot of non UK guys with type ratings jumping over UK pilots. In a nutshell do you feel Airlines will start recruiting pilots with low hours ???

Any feedback is welcome

Brgds

Dave

Megaton
19th Sep 2004, 19:57
Several questions you have to answer beforehand. Firstly, how much do you want it? It will cost you upwards of £30 000 and you will need to have access to this sort of money. You wil not be earning so you must be "financially independent" whilst you are training. You must also be able to pass a Class 1. Next you must have the determinatin and ability to get through the academics and flying. Finally, you must be able to present as a suitable candidate for employment.

In a nutshell, the answer is not really. Some low hours guys are being recruited but it is very much right time and right place (ex-Army mate with just over 400 hrs to Brittania for example). When, or if, you get employed the chances are the salary will be around £20k which is poor return for investment of up to £80k. Numbers simply don't add up; however, if you decide it's for you then:

a. Get Class 1.
b. Buy Clive Hughes book on getting Commercial Pilots Licence.

kippax
19th Sep 2004, 20:14
Dear Ham Phisted

Thanks for your comments

I do currently hold a Class One Medical

Plus, have passed test's set out by Cabair and very much do have the passion for Flying

I am concerned however, with being a pilot with low hours if i do not have any chance of getting a job. I have spoken to various banks who will lend me money but will require their nice big payments soon after!

Going abroad and flying rubber dogs for cargo does not bother me, but how well do you the pilots feel the market is at present/future

Brgds

Kippax

Mooney12
20th Sep 2004, 10:54
Ham Phisted, I don't agree with your post:

if, you get employed the chances are the salary will be around £20k which is poor return for investment of up to £80k. Numbers simply don't add up

have a look at this (http://www.ppjn.com). Don't see many jet jobs starting at £20k. The RoI is much better than that.

Megaton
20th Sep 2004, 11:16
I maintain a close eye on ppjn but unless you're lucky (and young enough) a turbo-prop job is a much more realistic ambition for a low-hour fATPL. Chances of getting a jet job are fairly negligible until you have hours under your belt or have sufficient funds to disappear down the self-sponsored type-rating route. I'll stand by my statement that you will probably earn around £20k plus some allowances in your first airline job.

Mooney12
20th Sep 2004, 21:16
Well Id advise everyone to apply to all the jet jobs going or try and get into the CTC ATP scheme