PDA

View Full Version : West Oz Info

Jamair
19th Sep 2004, 13:44
Question for those in the western half of this great continent - I need a fuel stop between Ayers Rock & Geralton on a trip across the middle; which place would be the best bet for AVGAS and facilities - Leonora, Laverton or Leinster?

post here or PM.

Thanks all:cool:

Crash & Burn
19th Sep 2004, 14:08
I think you'll find Leonora is the only one of those three with AVGAS nowadays........

the wizard of auz
19th Sep 2004, 14:26
you have the choice of Warburton, Leonora or Kalgoorlie. YLEO is the closest to being on track. the others you noted don't have fuel anymore.

Bill Smith
20th Sep 2004, 01:18
You could plan it to have another stop at Meekathara, to minimise the cost at Warbuton Range :-)

gaunty
20th Sep 2004, 09:21
Now if you had a Conquest or Titan, you could do it with the rock as your alternate. :} :p

Islander Jock
20th Sep 2004, 09:39
And the steaks in the pub at Meeka are something else!:ok:

Jamair
20th Sep 2004, 10:38
Thanks for the info youse sandgroper types;) LEO it is - this in the Aztec, even with 720lt it's a flamin long way between drinks.......Meeka sounds like a plan for the return leg when time isn't an issue...Warburton is drums yeah?

Cheers.

Northern Chique
20th Sep 2004, 15:16
Hey, not stopping in Darwin for drinks eh!

Wave when you head past the mines on the Tanami Track.... Its my part time desert home..... Just dont fly over the pits though... some nut in a chopper did it the other day during a blast. The pits down there are known for fly rock in some levels. Spectacular to watch, but Id hate to have an aircraft hit...

the wizard of auz
20th Sep 2004, 15:40
Warbo has tank fuel and a fairly high turn over, so it usually fresh fuel. bloody exxy though.........$1.55 last time I was there......bout six weeks ago.

compressor stall
30th Sep 2004, 12:42
Seem to recall an Avgas bowser at Giles? never used it myself as the only times I have been in there I wasn't burning AVGAS.

Great place to stay (better than Club Warbo). You might be able to make GLS-Meeka direct? Have not done the sums...

Good luck. Enjoy the flight...make sure you do it at low level across the middle early in the morning around the hills through GLS. Magic!

Jamair
1st Oct 2004, 04:08
:ok: Ta Stallie; none of my docs have anything about avgas @ Giles but I'll check.

Dunno if the pax would be up for any low level stuff, but I know what you're saying; often do that on dead legs into the SA desert on still, cool mornings....very special, one of the reasons I keep at it! Gotta watch for bludy pelicans though at the moment; they're working their way back to the coast. Went through a dust storm in the Cooper last week and got plastered with locusts - at A100! :eek:

How's WA treating you anyway?:cool:

Desert Flower
1st Oct 2004, 04:31
Leinster only has Jet A1. Leonora has Avgas, currently priced at $1.33.5 cpl (inc GST).

DF.

Towering Q
1st Oct 2004, 05:07
Giles has Avgas from a pump. Contact the Warakurna Roadhouse to make sure they haven't run out. Normally only happens when the truck can't get through.

Club Warbo eh Stallie? Fortunately for you a Warbo visit was a 15 minute turnaround, try a week.:{

Bill Smith
1st Oct 2004, 05:16
Try 2 month's in the Donga's behind the roadhouse !!
Locked in at night with the Roadhouse Manager shooting the odd stray dog !!

Towering Q
1st Oct 2004, 05:24
U sure they were stray dogs?:E

compressor stall
1st Oct 2004, 10:42
Eh bloke, I bin trayan to call you bloke, but you neber ansa!

Yep, happiness is v1 at Warbo. :O

Although I have been to much worse places.....

the wizard of auz
1st Oct 2004, 15:26
Yeah, the dongas behind the roadhouse bring back some memories I would rather leave buried.
If we manage to balk you out of warbo, you could always drop into Tjukayeerla. airstrip is/was part of the road, but looked to be improved last time I flew over it (about a month ago). Avgas in their bowsers..........so the sniffers dont want to steal it. Dunno what sort of price it is at the moment, but bound to be exxy.
Hey Stallie, Hows the 212 course doing?.
Sweet little mini hurc I reckon, just don't wanna have to carry pax and fuel on a hot day. Not that its going to be a problem at your next base. ;)

WhiteRat Wannabe
7th Oct 2004, 00:11
What about Patjarr, they still doing AVGAS? Used to be about 5-10 c/L cheaper than Warbo and they had a bowser. Bout 80Nm N of Warbo from memory.

Towering Q you must have been to that lovely place lately? Oh and how's RM22?
Loved the piccies!:ok:

Hey stallie, how's life in the land of GORETEX?

Towering Q
8th Oct 2004, 04:05
Ah yes Patjar,"middle of nowhere, center of everywhere". They have Avgas and great service. If you drop a newspaper off that was printed within the last two weeks you may even score a cold drink.:ok:

White Rat...photos of "the new Weapon" on way.

Stallie....check your PM's.

compressor stall
8th Oct 2004, 09:25
hey wrw,

How's things? I have not got there yet...but I'll give you a tingle tomorrow to see if you three want to catch up (not that one of you will remember us!).

TQ....willco.