PDA

View Full Version : Crash near Northolt?

Aerodynamik
18th Sep 2004, 10:36
I was unaware of any such incident at NORTHOLT. Can anyone enlighten me. It was a Swedish DC6.

Edit: Sorry. That is advertising Ebay and we cannot accept that. Maybe the title will awaken a few who can give you some info.

PaperTiger
18th Sep 2004, 16:23
http://aviation-safety.net/database/1948/480704-0.htm

Some confusion as to whether it was Northolt or Northwood (Pinner). Midair with RAF York.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Sep 2004, 18:21
Northwood is not far from Northolt. At one stage I worked with someone who was involved but I do not know his whereabouts now.

Boss Raptor
27th Sep 2004, 13:10
The wood and the road share the same name but I cant remember what it is - I didnt know the exct details until now but did recall it was a passenger aircraft and a military aircraft

Some 20 years after in the very early 70's when I was about 6 or 7 I recall my grandad telling me all about it and for several saturdays we combed the woods as I wanted a bit of wreckage for my collection but didnt find anything...have to admit the sensitivity of the situation didnt really dawn on a lad of that age...I do recall the woodland is actually very dense with tall mature trees yet there really was no sign of impact such as a clearing or felled trees etc.

Seems strange now I think on it that there is not a small memorial there or at least I dont think there is - sad really

Blacksheep
27th Sep 2004, 16:16
From 24c Squadron's Magazine, issue no.8 of 2001:

"FROM GROUP CAPTAIN W M WATKINS OBE

I was intrigued by your notice in the 24 Squadron Association magazine about the accident which claimed the life of Sir Edward Gent, so I decided to investigate. Having studied registers and journals and consulted the Air Historical Branch I can shed a little more light on the event.

The accident occurred on 4 July 1948 when York aircraft MW248 was inbound to Northholt in poor weather conditions on a flight from Malta. It was involved in a mid-air collision with a DC6 Skymaster of Scandinavian Airlines which had made an unsuccessful approach to Northolt and was diverting to Amsterdam. Both aircraft fell to the ground in woods near Ruislip. There were no survivors from the 32 aboard the Skymaster and the six crew and one passenger on the York, which was a 99 Squadron aircraft. Further details, including the identity of the York crew, may be found in The Times of 5 July 1948, together with an obituary of Sir Edward Gent. He was Governor and CinC of the Malayan Union from 1946 and in February 1948 became British High Commissioner for the Federation of Malaya. I have no information on the reason for his journey to London but the day after his death was hardly the moment to publish any adverse comment.

By coincidence this issue of The Times also contains a reference to the first jet crossing of the Atlantic by the Vampires which you also mention in the magazine; the paper reports that the aircraft had been delayed at Stornaway by bad weather. It is a sad reflection on the incidence of air accidents in those days that the same issue also gives the names of the crew of a Lincoln killed on Salisbury Plain. There is also news of the arrival in Buenos Aires of a high-level RAF team sent on a two-year mission to help build up the Argentine Air Force! "

Follow up through the Times archives for more information.