PDA

View Full Version : Family life in Hong Kong & Education

BENDIX TIE BAR
16th Sep 2004, 12:17
Doubtless this question will have been asked before for which I am sorry but dont know where else to ask. I am looking at being based in Honk Kong but am worried about my 12 year old son's education and life style. I would be grateful for anyone that could help advise me.

Thanks in advance

HotDog
16th Sep 2004, 12:48
From my experience of many years in Hong Kong with on and off, four kids in high school education . KGV Esf school very highly regarded academically but in the end, much dependent on student effort. A lot of vices that plague western educational establishments are not so prevalent in Hong Kong. I have experienced a lot more problems with my present 17 year old daughter here than my three previous teenage girls in Hong Kong.

H721
16th Sep 2004, 13:45
try these,

www.kgv.edu.hk www.shatincollege.edu.hk www.island.edu.hk www.sis.edu.hk www.wis.edu.hk

if u can get hold of a copy of SCMP Sep 11 (bad day for aviation!!!) 2004 issue there with a Good School Guide.

Education is always the best investment in life.:cool:

Canadian Beech
16th Sep 2004, 20:41
Was wondering if anyone could shed light on raising kids in HK, about the practicalities, problems and what's awesome.
Cheers!

idg
18th Sep 2004, 10:08
Bendix and Beech,

Actually I don't think it's such a bad place to raise a family as some would have you believe. Sure there's pollution but with the present outcry I'm sure a fix will come, perhaps later rather than sooner! However there are alternatives to living in the concrete jungle and HKG has more country park acreage per head of population than many other places. If you did decide to live 'out in the country' (max 50 mins to downtown/airport) then the air is much much cleaner and the pace of life slower.

As to actually raising kids here, life's a compromise as in most other places. Very young kids can be difficult to move around the mid-levels/ central area, but as they grow up it becomes easier. If you choose to live out of town then the commute/taxiing to get them to lessons/parties/functions becomes more problematical. If you do decide on this route then it's important to note that car ownership is very expensive here. Overall though it's very safe, with very little crime directed against kids to speak of, which means giving them independance earlier than perhaps would be the case in UK for example. There are sports facilities that many other places would die for and public transport is cheap and incredibly efficient. Another plus is the availability of home help which can relieve 'Mum' of much of the burden and allow her more quality time with the kids or even to have a social life. To work you need a visa and post '97 these are not automatic for expat spouses. Not impossible, I understand, but the prospective employer has to show the immigration department that no local person can reasonably do the job.

Education is fantastic, with international school standards comparable to the best that UK (for instance) have to offer. H721 has given some excellent web-sites to look at. Kindergartens for expats are not so numerous and cost quite a lot compared to other places, but junior schools within the international system are also excellent on the whole. Important point here is that many international schools are over subscribed so it's important if you do decide to come that you live close to school or are prepared to do the commute. School buses do exist but are quite expensive. Once again a compromise!

Cost wise it's a lot cheaper (relatively) than it was back in the '90s but housing is still pretty expensive and energy costs are way way above what you would probably have to pay in your own back yard. If you're not pumping energy into the a/c then it's going into the electric radiators! While winter temps are normally mild, after 33 degrees in the summer, the late single digit temps of winter seem positively freezing. The design of housing doesn't help with very little insulation at all. I'm told that there's no cavity insulation here because the rats used to live in it!!

To sum up then, many pluses and some negatives. Make the decision based on a good look before you leap, but many expats here are very happy.

Slapshot
20th Sep 2004, 04:48
Try this thread or searching "Children in Hong Kong". It was discussed a while ago.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Children in Hong Kong (www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139212&highlight=Children+in+Hong+Kong)

corporal klinger
21st Sep 2004, 15:45
Is the education bonus paid by the company realistic/enough?
thanks

Slapshot
21st Sep 2004, 16:50
In my opinion, I would say no.

idg
22nd Sep 2004, 09:36
And in mine yes...I think it depends on which company we're talking about!

BENDIX TIE BAR
3rd Oct 2004, 00:35
Would just like to thank you all for the replies to my original question and in particular to idg.

:ok: