PDA

View Full Version : Oz Jobs Goodbye

Windshear
16th Sep 2004, 13:04
Our final post.
Enclosed a memo from the Towers UK

A note to let you know that the Oz Jobs era is over. Danny and I counted it up at the weekend. Forums for Australians and/or New Zealanders have run for 7 years and there has never been a paid advert to support the site.

The old reason of no access to the pages of the Australian is now a nonsense. I've accessed the jobs pages each week from 3 minor ex-soviet republics, Africa and even wirelessly from Beirut airport during an Israeli attack

The point is very basic when it comes down to it. Australian business has had a free ride for years. We've set up advertising that is cheaper and quicker than the Australian. Everyone can get access to the jobs because if they can get onto PPRuNe they must be ble to access other sites.

So it's time for the ads to stop. A fantastic job but there's simply no need for it now. If our readership find the Australian jobsite as much of a ballache to navigate as I do it should add a little pressure for someone in Australia to support this site with a paid ad for the first time ever.

Regards to both of you on the Windy editorial team,

In all I think we posted just 348 times in 7 yrs, at an av. of 4 jobs per week [2436 jobs] ... so it's Goodbye from Windy :ok:

compressor stall
16th Sep 2004, 13:15
What a shame it's come to this.

Thanks for all your work over the years Windy (and Mrs windy!) it has been very much appreciated by many myself included.

Had that drop of plonk yet? :ok:

gaunty
16th Sep 2004, 13:20
And a hero's farewell from me too, for a job well and diligently done.

:ok: :{

Kaptin M
16th Sep 2004, 13:42
Yes Windy, I also second a "job well done" to YOU.

But by the same token, I agree with PPT's appraisal of things - "The Australian" newspaper, owned by [b]Rupert Murdoch, has enjoyed a FREE ride on this website - which either directly, or indirectly reaches probably 70-80% of all professional pilots worldwide (determined by "independent sourcing")...........and probably closer to 90% of ALL pro Oz pilots (via another/or the same independent survey).........for FAR too long!

Advertisers who pay BIG bikkies to have their ads placed in The Australian are gaining an EXTRA benefit, courtesy of PPRuNe.So it's time for the ads to stop. Well, not necessarily, but it MIGHT be time for the advertisers to make a choice of WHERE to place their ads with a view as to where they feel they'll get the BEST exposure for the market they're chasing! :ok:

the wizard of auz
16th Sep 2004, 13:55
Thats a shame.............a real shame.
Thanks for all your time and effort Windy. :ok:
It was more of a service to all the pilots and aspiring pilots out in oz land than a benifit to the advertisers, I'm sure.
Will be sorely missed by us all. (the ones that read the adds that people buy space for)

The Voice
16th Sep 2004, 21:37
Mr and Mrs W.

I too add my sincere thanks for your collective efforts over the last several years. You have extended yourselves for us and personally I have received the benefit of your efforts.

It is a sad day indeed and a damn shame that it has come to this, but I echo Gaunty CS and KM's thoughts.

Perhaps the Oz should be paying a fee to Pprune!

Enjoy your retirement :E

Nadzab
17th Sep 2004, 00:30
Sad that it had to happen.

Windy (Mr and Mrs), I would like to add my name to those that thank you for your efforts on OzJobs.

While it lasted it was invaluable to those of us that were out of town or out of country.

If there is such a thing as an e-beer, I'll e-mail you an e-shout!

Cheers

Crash & Burn
17th Sep 2004, 01:58
Sad that Ozjobs has to go.

One minor point for Towers though - aviationshop did purchase advertising space in approx 1999!

Thanks for the correction C+B - appreciated - Rob

Boomerang
17th Sep 2004, 05:39
Maybe now The Australian newspaper will reciprocate and offer some free advertising space to PPRuNe to advertise their services ;)

OzExpat
17th Sep 2004, 07:51
I'm also very sad that this had to happen. :{ But many thanks for your tireless dedication to it Windy - and Mrs Windy as well, of course. Congratulations on a fine job that's been so bloody well done for all these years. :ok:

RIP Ozjobs. :(

dingo084
17th Sep 2004, 10:01
Thanks for your efforts Windy.

All hail the mighty dollar (or is that the Pound)

ding

sweethart
17th Sep 2004, 11:18
B U G G E R ! !

THATS BULL. IF YOU WANT TO GET THE JOBS OFF THE NET YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. REMEMBER THAT THE GUYS HANGING OUT FOR OZJOBS TO BE POSTED ARE THE SAME ONES THAT CANT AFFORD A SUBSCRIPTION TO AN AUSSIE PAPER FOR ONE PAGE A WEEK WHEN BUSTIN THEIR AR$E IN SOME 3RD WORLD COUNTRY BUILDING HOURS TRYING TO GET A BREAK TO RETURN TO OZ.

THANKS ALOT YOU POMME GIZAS

PS WINDY, YOUR A SUPERSTAR ... ON YA MATE.:ok: :ok: :ok:

tipsy
17th Sep 2004, 11:56
I know UK weather is pretty :yuk:crappy but :

"Danny and I counted it up at the weekend.":8 :8

Surely even those illustrious 2some can find better things to do at the weekend.

Inspite of it all, thank you Windy for keeping us colonials informed when other means were not available to us.:ok:

Hey, tomorrow is Saturday, perhaps I'll go and get quietly married or something:E

tipsy:D

TopperHarley
17th Sep 2004, 12:09
Got the best flying job in the world off an "OZJOBS" thread.

Thanks windy.

muddergoose
17th Sep 2004, 13:51
How much money do you require to keep performing this sofar charitable service. It's definately better than the Australian section. Unfortunate thing for me is I have just cottoned on to it.

Perhaps you should put a URL in the "Australian" pointing to your site, provide the service for a while and see if you can get clients on side or "AWARE" of what you are offering.

You provide a valuable service ! :ok:

doubleu-anker
17th Sep 2004, 21:31
Yes thanks for a grand effort over the years. A job well done.

PPRuNe Towers
17th Sep 2004, 21:38
sweethart,

I read the jobs each week from my stops around the world on the Australian website not PPRuNe.

We provided a free service for 7 years.

Perhaps you and ding are just cheapskates who want everything for free?

Or is it because we 'Poms" want to suck money out of dear mother Oz?

Ooops, the Australian is a Murdoch rag isn't it. Like the Sun and the Times in the UK - he makes sure they pay no tax in the UK through the News International structure. That couldn't possibly be true in his homeland as well could it??

The fact is Australian businesses pay Murdoch for the ads but pilots actually view them here on PPRuNe - not the Australian.

There is something wrong with that picture and eventually even Danny and I banged the rocks together long and hard enough to spark that realisation.

Australian IT pros - PPRuNe is text based and is now using more than 5 gigs of bandwidth per month. Care to give a quote on supplying that? Just ballpark - here in public. No servers, no tech support, no backup - just the 'phone bill.'

Regards to all
Rob

Kaptin M
17th Sep 2004, 22:11
"Perhaps you should put a URL in the "Australian" pointing to your site, provide the service for a while and see if you can get clients on side or "AWARE" of what you are offering."

One would have thought that after 7 years The Australian might have reciprocated, and provided that link.
By now I guess a lot of the advertisers have also come to realise that it is HERE that their ads are getting extensive coverage - and I`m certain the the PPRuNe "Marketing Team" has also made them aware of that!
:ok:

troppo
17th Sep 2004, 22:42
thanks Windy for the time and effort that you put in over the years...

:ok:

huntsman
17th Sep 2004, 23:24
it's a shame for the newbie-type GA jobs that appear every now and then.
a lot of those won't ever make the Australian.

can't we just boot out the airline jobs?

dingo084
18th Sep 2004, 00:31
Rob

I never said anything about "free" and I am fully aware of the arguments both for and against "user pays".

It must be wonderfull to be able to access the internet from various points around the world, it would be equally wonderfull if one could access the internet (let alone a phone or a newspaper that was less than 3 weeks old) in most places in Australia.

ding

sweethart
18th Sep 2004, 12:37
windy, forget the towers mate

i am sure they are not as picky as robby and danny

sw

RENURPP
19th Sep 2004, 01:18
Thanks Windy,

It has been very generous of both you and your Mrs to put the effort in for the rest of us.

As for the other argument, its their train set, however I have a slightly different slant on it.

I don't need a job or for that case want a different one, I did look at OZ jobs every week with interest though.

Due to OZ Jobs I had no need to buy the Australian so I don't understand the logic indicating that "The Australian " is some how obligated to PPRUNE??

Thanks again and cheers.

Maybe if you enjoyed the role you could obtain email addresses and email the same info as you do with another publication every friday???

It is definetley worth a beer or two, make that red, for a lot of us.

grrowler
20th Sep 2004, 02:01
Thanks for the efforts Windy, they've been very helpful and many a week I have waited for the ozjobs to be posted.

I can't see the logic in dumping them, they are posted by the charitable windy as a service for the pilots, not Murdoch. The pilots, often the newbies/ unemployeds are (or should I say were) the ones benefiting, no one else.

Mr. Hat
20th Sep 2004, 03:26
Windshear, if I had a dollar to throw to ozjobs i would but i haven't a cent like many gals and guys over here in GA.

Gave us a lot of hope - a job well done.

All the best.

Dave Incognito
23rd Sep 2004, 04:27
Thanks Windy, a solid effort!! :ok:

B767MAD
23rd Sep 2004, 13:08
Thanks Windy .. was always the first place I went to on pprune ...

Well Done ... :ok:

turbinejunkie
23rd Sep 2004, 18:59
Hey Windy,

how 'bout a comeback? :confused:

Today's Friday and we're ready for some OzJobs updates!

Hoping you can keep up the great service you have provided us all for such a long time. :{

Kind regards,

TJ :sad:

Oogle
23rd Sep 2004, 23:36
If you have a computer (or access to one) you can find the jobs you are after.

Here is the link to The Australian jobs section for aviation employment:

http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/act_search_keyword.cfm?CLASSIFICATION_ID=41&LOCATION_ID=&Keywords=&JOB_TYPE_ID=&VAR_DISPLAY=20&Show_Details=1

The search parameters is classed as "avaition/transport" so there are other jobs for the budding truck drivers as well. You can refine the search even further but I will leave that up to you.

Check it out.

Northern Chique
25th Sep 2004, 14:09
Well, end of an era.... thanks for all your amazingly faithful efforts over the years windy. Like many others, the Ozjobs section was where I usually ended up first. Wonder if most GA employment stays were outlived by Ozjobs tenure in the GA market popularity stakes.... Gee, Ozjobs probably outlived alot of GA companies!

So Windy, once again, many thanks to you for your magnificent efforts

NC

"Medicine is the art of keeping the patient amused while nature fixes the disease" Voltaire

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
27th Sep 2004, 02:54
Thanks Windy and Mrs,

Sad to see the end of an era that gave so many hope over the years. Well done digger and a million thanks from the thousands that got so much from your posts.

On Ya Mate.

Wooblah. :{

Steve76
27th Sep 2004, 04:07
Thanks Dad.
Like everyone else, it was the first stop on a Friday.....from wherever in the world I was.