PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings Scheme thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Simon_Sez
15th Sep 2004, 22:58
This thread will, from today, 15/09/2004, be used to discuss the CTC Wings Scheme, the new name for what used to be called the CTC-McAlpine Cadetship Programme. I'll start it with the post I already put up on the "old" thread earlier today.

NOTE: In effect, the thread entitled "CTC-McAlpine/Easyjet/JMC etc" should be used for reference only and further posts on the Wings scheme should be made here.

Regards,

Simon.

Well, where to start.

Firstly, I'm very, very, ecstatically happy to report that I got through to Stage 3. :}

I won't go into too many details about the assessment day as most of the format has been described in previous posts. So, any newbees can do exactly what I did and read the whole thing! :cool:

However, there are a few VERY important points to note, points that were only finalised a few days before my Phase 2 assessment day on Tuesday, September 14th, 2004.

1. The scheme is now known as "The CTC Wings Scheme". McAlpine Aviation has been 100% bought out by CTC, so no longer have anything to do with it. I'm going to suggest to the moderators that we start a new thread as this one is quite dated in most parts and for any newbees, I think it'd be helpful for them and indeed everyone else, if we had up to date info and advice.

2. The initial training period has been revamped. After Stage 4, when the candidate is selected for training, each individual is analysed and their level of flying experience is assessed. PPL v No PPL for example.
CTC have decided, (sensibly) that those with flying experience would be wasting their time and CTC's time with training on aspects already covered in their PPL's and therefore neither party should incur the cost (investment for CTC/bond for the candidate) of doing the same thing over again.
So, CTC have announced that candidates with TEN HOURS OR LESS flying experience, go through a "Foundation" course. This entails training up to NZ PPL level for approx 12 weeks. THE COST OF THIS IS SEPERATE FROM THE BOND AND MUST BE PAID BY THE CANDIDATE AT A COST OF APPROX £3,000.

Now, personally, I'm gonna get extremely annoyed if people start arguing about this and saynig "CTC are ripping us off blah-dee-blah-dee-blah". This is the way it is and you can't do anything about it so go sit in the corner and keep quiet. :E

3. The CTC-ATP scheme has merged with the CTC Wings Scheme in a number of ways.
Firstly, the age limit for entrants to the Wings scheme has increased to "30 years of age on the date of application". This is in line with the ATP scheme.
Also, the number of airlines CTC deal with in both aspects is increasing. easyJet and Thomas Cook are still there, as well as Britannia, Monarch and a few others I can't remember at this time. Two further "major carriers" are to be announced in the very near future.

4. Applications for the Wings Scheme should now be made at the following address - www.ctcaviation.com/wings and NOT www.ctc-mcalpine.com. It's nice to see this change because at the Stage 2 Assessment day yesterday, they were unaware applications were still done through the old site. There is a press release dated 14/09/2004 with the updated info announcement.

There are other little changes in regards to expenses in New Zealand etc but what I have above will suffice for the time being. I hope many of you find it useful.

The source for all the above information was Mr. Lee Woodward in his presentation at the start of the Stage 2 assessment day. He joined CTC this year and is the Chief Training Pilot on the 757. He's taking CPxx to Brunei next week to start their training!

I just got in touch with Scroggs, the forum moderator, to see if we should start a new "CTC Wings Scheme" thread but until I hear back from him, we'll make do with this.

Regards,

Simon.

Vee One...Rotate
15th Sep 2004, 23:00
Out of the ashes of the CTC McAlpine thread comes the CTC Wings thread. God bless all who browse on her...!

V1R :ok:

Simon_Sez
15th Sep 2004, 23:25
Nicely put V1R! :cool:

Here are some links to sites which may help those only just beginning the application process.

www.pprune.org - The Bible of the aviation industry. i.e. not exactly 100% accurate all of the time, but the stories are good and it really does make you think. :}

www.ctcaviation.com/wings - This is where you take that all important first step.

www.morrisby.com - sample aptitude tests.

www.pilapt.com - the tests used by CTC in Stage 2. You can't actually take them (that would be cheating you see) but you can view screenshots of the 7 different tests just so you have some idea of what to expeect.

I'm sure we'll see more and more links added as the thread grows.

Regards,

Simon.

R T Jones
16th Sep 2004, 06:33
Those sample tests on morrisby were actully quite fun :), I almost fancy 3 hours of them. I think i am going modular btw, as its soo much cheaper. I just intend to do all my modules back to back. So basically it is an intergraded but not the cost :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Sep 2004, 07:28
This thread is nice and clear - no need to start another thread about the CTC Wings scheme.

Thanks for making the effort to develop a useful thread.

Cheers

Groundloop
16th Sep 2004, 08:12
"So, CTC have announced that candidates with TEN HOURS OR LESS flying experience, go through a "Foundation" course. This entails training up to NZ PPL level for approx 12 weeks. THE COST OF THIS IS SEPERATE FROM THE BOND AND MUST BE PAID BY THE CANDIDATE AT A COST OF APPROX £3,000."

So, does this mean that is is no longer an "ab-initio" programme?

EGPFlyer
16th Sep 2004, 08:19
The 10 hour thing is that you if you have no previous experience then you do the entire foundation course. If you have more than 10 hours then you do the test flights at Bournemouth to see how much of the foundation course you need to do. The 3 grand will probably be able to be added to your Bank loan if you don't have it spare.

esvdx
16th Sep 2004, 12:05
Certainly for me this is excellent news. I am just shy of 30 years old and am / was about to start on a self funded Modular route. I think an application may be worthwhile now!

Thanks to Simon for collating and sharing all the info above.

esvdx

Simon_Sez
16th Sep 2004, 13:43
EGP explains this very well.

At the moment, the course is still ab-initio. The foundation course was set up to allow those with little or no flying experience gain their PPL with CTC, but at a cost of approx £3,000. I would agree that the bond could be extended from £60,000 to £63,000 to cover this if required.

However, Lee said at Stage 2 that it would be assumed people could afford to do this without increasing the bond. i.e. if you're told you're going to NZ, it could be 6 months before you're actually able to go with jobs/uni personal commitments etc. In this time, you could also save £3,000, pay for the Foundation course with no interest and have it over and done with.
I'm only just passed Stage 2 but just in case, I've started to save specifically for this. Anyways, if CTC doesn't work out, it will be used for lessons elsewhere :cool:

This begs the question, IS IT BETTER TO APPLY TO THE WINGS SCHEME WITH A PPL?

Not really. It honestly doesn't matter, but if you don't have one (I don't, some people at my Stage 2 did) CTC's PPL course is taught in such a way as it makes you think like an airline pilot from day one. This can only be a good thing.

Regards,

Simon.

bertie777
16th Sep 2004, 14:51
Hey,

Good news about the changes to the scheme lets hope that the possibilities of further airlines joining in the near future continues to grow!

Anyway, down to business........

Recently had confirmation that I have been selected to attend stage two of the assessment process. I have elected to go down to Bournemouth on the 28th and was wondering if anyone else had also chosen this date!

Would be interested to here from any of you so don't hesitate to get in touch.

P.S. Sorry - I know this is the second time this has been posted - deleted the earlier post by mistake. :ooh:

sally at pprune
19th Sep 2004, 20:09
Someone suggested on the 'old' thread that the foundation course is £3,300, which would be a bit pricy. :(

However, the way I read the website is that £3,300 gets a full PPL plus travel and accommodation and so on with a refund at the end of any hours not required, which would be a bargain. :D

Anyone got a definitive answer?

Simon_Sez
19th Sep 2004, 20:50
Sally, you were right about the Foundation course. It was me who incorrectly said it was £3,000...this is the full paragraph from the CTC Wings site...

FOUNDATION COURSE

The initial phase of training takes you to PPL (Private Pilot Licence standard) and is conducted at our training centre in New Zealand. Because some applicants have already obtained their PPL, this part of the course is self-funded but at a significantly subsidised rate (the cost is NZ$9000 - currently about £3300). If you are successful during selection, and have previously completed more than 10 hrs flying, we will carry out a training assessment flight at our Bournemouth Flight Training Centre in the UK so that we can determine approximately how much training you will need to reach our standard for this PPL phase - and thus the time required in New Zealand to complete this. All candidates will be required to pay the full Foundation course price, but will receive a rebate in respect of unused hours of flying once they have reached the required PPL standard. (see the FAQs for more information). This, we hope, gives a fair recognition to those applicants that have already reached a certain standard of flying before applying to us._

Regards,

Simon.

1pudding1
23rd Sep 2004, 11:46
Bump - Post all CTC Wings related things here remember ;)

Caracul
23rd Sep 2004, 12:30
But the old thread is so much more interesting at the moment!!:rolleyes:

*bump*

Blinkz
29th Sep 2004, 14:26
Hey guys,
Am about to apply for the wings scheme, can any of you that have gone through stage 2 please tell me what sort of maths is in the numerical test? A couple of examples would be great, I just wanna know what to touch up on! Thanks.

spaceman18
1st Oct 2004, 21:36
Hi,
I went through stage 2 in february. Back then it was mostly arithmetic, ie. long division, long multiplication, stuff like that, just checking that you can work things out in your head really!no examples though
good luck:D

Hi,
I went through stage 2 in february. Back then it was mostly arithmetic, ie. long division, long multiplication, stuff like that, just checking that you can work things out in your head really!no examples though
good luck:D

Sharky12t
6th Oct 2004, 12:43
Blinkz,

Did stage 2 at the beginning of September, the arithmetic test was fairly straight forward, 15 questions and I think we got about 15 minutes, one example I remember goes roughly,

You are descending from FL180 to FL100 at a rate of 2500 fpm, how long will this take you? The answers were multiple choice.

The arithmetic test itself wasn't the most taxing part of the day, the Pilapt tests were fun but complicated, you can see why they use them.

I got through stage 2 but have subsequently been nocked back at stage 3, i should get my feedback as to why shortly.

All the best,

Sharky

Gillespie
6th Oct 2004, 14:47
hey,

I'm through to stage three and my mrs is getting quite worried. She is well aware that up to 9 months are spent away from home.

I already have 180ish hours so I'm hoping (if I'm successful) that the foundation should be minimal for me.

Does anyone know how long will be spent away from home in one spell?

Nearly
6th Oct 2004, 15:32
Hi Gillespie,

I've got similar hours to you and have recently got onto the Wings course. Will hopefully be going out to NZ to start training in Jan.

If you're referring to the NZ phase, then as I understand it, depending on how many of the first 12 weeks you need out in NZ, the longest stay could be as much as 23 weeks. That covers 12 weeks for the full Foundation course then 11 weeks for the VFR phase. The only flexible is the Foundation course - once assessed by CTC they recommend how much of the 12 weeks you will need which will bring that figure down.

After those first 2 phases, there is leave and ground school for the ATPL exams back in blighty (about 4 weeks in total) followed by a second visit to NZ for 14 weeks for the IFR phase. The rest of the training is split between Bournemouth and Southampton. This covers the IR/CPL training, Intermediate and Advanced Training and includes leave.

I'm sure you will find a lot of people are in a similar position with the mrs, me included. 9 months out of the rest of your life is a small amount of time.

Hope this helps. Good luck at Stage 3&4.

Haavard
6th Oct 2004, 17:41
Hey again!

Anyone who are in for testing phase 2, october 12.?

I am, and are housed at Stour Villa ..

Gillespie
7th Oct 2004, 08:07
Cheers Nearly,

well done for getting on the course. I'd love to say I'll see you out there, but I not going to count any chickens.

Just out of curiousity because you mentioned you had about the same amount of hours as me; how much of the foundation course do you need to complete?

Good advice about the mrs bit. 9 months is nothing compared to a life time!

Enjoy your training.

umoya
8th Oct 2004, 10:26
Hey Haavard

Will also be there on the 12th. Still looking for a place to stay.

What have you done in the way of preparation?

See you there!

Haavard
13th Oct 2004, 14:46
Hey again!

Anyone who where at Phase 2 testing 12 october who have got theyr feedback from CTC?

It would be fun to know who got trough and not :)

Simon_Sez
13th Oct 2004, 18:16
Hello people,

Finally got a Stage 3 date from CTC...not that I'm impatient...just excited you understand. :cool:

Anyway, I had my Stage 2 on Sept 14th and itd be cool to know if anyone else from that day was going along to this. Gimme a PM or e-mail if you are...

Regards,

Simon.

umoya
13th Oct 2004, 18:54
Hi Haavard

Got my feedback from stage 2 today...really pleased! Going to stage 3 at the end of this month.

Hope to see you there.

Haavard
13th Oct 2004, 20:04
Oh thats great to hear chap :) As i told you, i am sure you will come a long way there.

My late arrival before the day, combined with some unknown words in the test made me perform bad, so as i expected, I did fail phase 2... i just used £1000 on it so..... :(

Keep me informed how you are doing in thoose later stages.

And for double check.. you are the one driving me around?
Tnx for that service miss daisy..

Gillespie
14th Oct 2004, 19:50
Hey future ctc'ers

I'm through to stage 3 on 28th October. Who's with me? I'm trying to build up a picture of how many co-candidates to expect.

Anyone got any tips for stage 3?

Good luck.

half full
15th Oct 2004, 15:37
This may be a naive question, to which the reply can be imagined, but how many of the peeps that make their way onto the CTC scheme are directly placed in a comfy right seat at the end of it?

what of the dissappointed?

i wondered given the size of the cheque(s) to be written:hmm:

cheers,

HF

Five5
15th Oct 2004, 23:53
Hi everyone,

There's a lot of dialogue between applicants and little or no feedback from guys on the scheme, so I thought I’d lend a word...

My advice on later stages of selection is to be your-self. In preparation for the interview try writing out a list of questions (and answering them!) you would ask a candidate in your shoes. Think about how you can answer these questions using concise examples and anecdotes to demonstrate motivation, attitude, “soft-skills”, teamwork and all those other important qualities they will be looking for. Be prepared and it will show…

Good Luck.
:ok:

Geoff565
16th Oct 2004, 09:04
Hi All,

Firstly, i'd like to thank everyone who have posted some feedback/information regarding their assesment days e.t.c, it's been most useful.
I've been fortunate enough to progress to stage two of the selection, which i will be attending this Tuesday (19th Oct). Is anyone else attending this session?

Many thanks, and good luck to all!
Geoff

Nearly a learner!
16th Oct 2004, 13:14
Gillespie (and anyone else interested!)

I'm also attending Stage 3 on 28th October, but have you had feedback from Stage 2 yet - you know, I mean the detailed breakdown of how we did that we were promised?

See you on the 28th

Gillespie
18th Oct 2004, 09:22
Nearly a learner!,

I haven't received any feedback yet. Not sure weather it's coming in the post or via e-mail.

Looking forward to 28th. What are you doing in terms of preparation?

Nearly a learner!
18th Oct 2004, 17:55
Gillespie,

I've been getting some information off the web on each of the seven airlines in the scheme so that I have a bit of background on them and other than that I'm relying on my experiences from working for a major handling agent for four years. Also trying to think of some good examples to highlight my motivation and teamwork ability. I'm assuming by 'soft-skills' that Five5 means dealing with sensitive/difficult situations?

Where are you staying the night before? I'm staying at Ashdene House - I was too slow to book into Dale Farm, which I believe is very close to Dibden Manor. I wonder if we'll be allowed to use the facilities at the manor - swimming pool, gym etc. if we get through Thursday? Anybody out there know?

jmc1980
18th Oct 2004, 20:15
Errr... no swimming pool and no gym either at Dibden manor I'm afraid! there weren't any 2 months ago last time I was there anyway. Or maybe I missed something who knows! There is a mini golf though:cool: the putters are near the entrance!:D

good luck all with going through the phases. You'll enjoy your stay - they're really a great bunch down at CTC!

Nearly a Learner, are you applying for the wings selection (old cadet selection) or for the wings ATP programme (formerly known as ATP scheme)? If you are going for the cadets, there are only 2 companies that you need to study - eJ and Thomas Cook.

cheers all

JMC

Nearly a learner!
19th Oct 2004, 23:02
JMC,

Just had another look at the bit about Dibden Manor on CTC's website and read it more carefully! It says that there are leisure facilities nearby - that'll teach me to be more thorough!

Received an email from CTC around middle of September, this extract answers your question:

".....launch of the CTC Wings Programme, which replaces both the CTC McAlpine Sponsored Cadet Scheme and the CTC ATP Scheme. These are very exiting developments – we are pleased to announce additional airlines as Partner Airlines....."

The airlines that I mentioned in addition to Easyjet and Thomas Cook are the additional partner airlines so far. You'll notice that I only included a short extract - the whole document is a very informative 6 pages which I didn't think you would want to read! Very good for people like me applying to the scheme - they do seem to be very open in explaining all aspects of it.

Looking forward to next week - just hope I make it through.

20VT
20th Oct 2004, 17:21
Just wondering how long it normally takes for applicants to get a response after sending in the 4 questions. Sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since. As I posted my answers I’m starting to wonder whether they actually arrived at the right place!

jmc1980
20th Oct 2004, 17:34
20VT, why don't you ring Jo Ward to confirm that they have received your application form? I got a reply just about 3 weeks after I had sent the form when I applied, so don't worry too much.

good luck

JMC

Simon_Sez
26th Oct 2004, 22:39
*kicks thread up arse..."fly my pretty...FLY!!"*

Stage 3 excitement kicking in yet anyone? With all the time between Stage 2 & 3 (it'll be 2 months for me)...has anyone else been contemplating life without CTC? I'm not being pessimistic...far from it...just a realistic optimist... :cool:

However I am confident that if CTC isn't what I'm meant to do and hence, I don't get through...I have two defined back-up plans which I'm also quite excited about.

Whaddya reckon? Is it worse to think about (a) "If I don't get through this, that's my life over with...", or (b) "So what if I don't get through this? I've got other things planned."

As always - Opinions welcome. Bullsh*t frowned upon.

Regards,

Simon

Vee One...Rotate
26th Oct 2004, 23:27
Absolutely agree - you should have backup plans...it's the trait of a good pilot :p

I'm sure everyone must have at least VAGUE idea of a Plan B...and C...and...??? Even if it's sometimes hard to go into too much detail as you want A to work out so bad...:)

The routes into aviation are as many and varied as the people who follow 'em...

Good luck chaps/chapettes :ok:

Another Optimistic Realist,

V1R

Rod Eddington
27th Oct 2004, 10:35
You'll probably get asked what your back-up plans are in your interview... So if you have some fairly detailed, aviation-related plans then it'll work in your favour.... Shows you're keen

Simon_Sez
27th Oct 2004, 12:56
Anyone here watch Family Guy?

Peter: "Hey Joe, don't worry. If things don't work out, you could always get a desk job. Yeah. You could be a desk..." :}

Thanks for that Rod...I've been trying to come up with a list of questions that could be asked and have prepared answers etc...this "back-up plan" or "what will you do if not successful with your application to CTC?" question was just one I was thinking about most..not for the interview solely, but actually for myself.

Exciting times... :)

Rod Eddington
27th Oct 2004, 18:10
well if it's interview questions you're after, the old ctcmcalpine thread had a link to the kent uni website where someone had listed all the questions they were asked... I'll be honest in saying I can't be bothered to look for it, but if anyone does it might be good to re-post it... covered about 95% of the questions I was asked

Simon_Sez
27th Oct 2004, 21:39
Came across that link when I found out bout CTC...very helpful. Thanks for mentioning it again though.

Check your PM's Rod.

regards,
Simon.

CB1
28th Oct 2004, 13:52
Does anybody know anything about having a second go at the scheme? I got to the interview in march but failed. . . due to poor preparation because of my university commitments at the time. Has anyone been invited back or, asked and recieved a second chance?

good luck those in the process, and be yourself!!!

Penworth
28th Oct 2004, 14:41
CB1

I was invited back about a year after my Stage 3 interview. Unfortunately by that time I had started the ATPL groundschool so they said I had gone beyond being considered as an "ab-inito" candidate :{

I had just assumed that because I didn't get any indication after my interview that I had been considered a "near miss" and hence had the chance of a second bite at the cherry, I would have to proceed down the self sponsored route, which I did.

Best thing is to give them a call and see if you fall into that category. I would have loved for another chance at that, but instead will just have to have a go at the CTC scheme for fATPL's (if it still exists when I qualify!)

Regards

PW

CB1
28th Oct 2004, 15:04
Thanks and good luck with the course, I've sent an email, just a case of waiting!!

anybody else had anything similar, has anyone actually got through at the second attempt?!!!

BitMoreRightRudder
30th Oct 2004, 04:30
CB1 check your pms'

spaceman18
30th Oct 2004, 07:10
Theres plenty of people over in New Zealand now, who have got onto the course after previously failing at stage 2 or 3, only to get called back and suddenly find themselves down under flying katanas!!definately give it another go.

Gillespie
1st Nov 2004, 15:52
Nearly a learner

How did you get on in the simulator. I was so gutted when she annouced just 2 of you to go upstairs as I knew that meant you succeeded. I'd convinced myself that this time it was my turn, but obviously not.

Well done for getting through to stage 4 and I'm sure you'll do well in your training.

Nearly a learner!
1st Nov 2004, 19:21
Gillespie

I was a little surprised that only two of us made it through, but you just never know with interviews do you? I do think that you need a lot of experience to get through the interview stage though, both in terms of previous interviews and definitely in terms of work experience, where you have learned about teamwork and leadership. If I had gone in there a couple of years ago I wouldn't have stood a chance.

The simulator was absolutely fantastic. It's not something I've ever done and I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought I would have been more nervous, but I am quite confident in my flying ability and the two assessors (no names for obvious reasons!) did everything possible to relax us beforehand. We were in the 737-300 sim and received about a one and a half hour briefing beforehand and had a look around the new Nursling centre (very impressive). I was in the sim for about an hour and a quarter and had the opportunity to take-off, do a circuit and land at the land - brilliant! They kept us hanging on for an hour though before telling us if we had made it through! Unfortunately I was the only one to make it. I really thought we would both be heading off to New Zealand together, but it wasn't to be.

I had a medical today and that was no problem, so I'm just getting ready to go now - looks like I could be heading off as early as December.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next and I'll let you know how it all goes when I get out there.

jmc1980
1st Nov 2004, 21:39
Nearly a Learner,

Well done mate!:ok:

Enjoy New Zealand!:cool:

Vee One...Rotate
1st Nov 2004, 22:22
NAL,

Well done indeed. It's a tough selection process. You should be chuffed.

That 737 sim does sound a hoot :ok:

V1R

B727-200
1st Nov 2004, 22:41
Nearly a learner,

Check your PM's!

Cheers,

B727-200

Sweeney
2nd Nov 2004, 16:44
Just got my email feedback from CTC after getting knocked back at Stage 2. It is fairly detailed - and appreciated - but I have a couple of questions. Since they made it pretty clear that no further communication regarding feedback will be forthcoming, thought I'd see if anyone else is in the same boat.

My results show that I got an average score in one set, high in the second and passed both the maths test and group exercise. This translates as a medium to low risk candidate but it's the next bit that bothers me. I got only average to low in "specific piloting abilities" which apparently indicate areas of potential weakness in training but does not tell me to which set of tests this refers.

Has anyone else had feedback about specific piloting abilities? I only ask since my next step is to go for an ATPL and this has given me (only slightly) cold feet!

Gillespie
2nd Nov 2004, 19:12
Nearly a leaner,

Congrats on getting through mate, I had a feeling you would. Very surprised to hear that your fellow candidate didn't get through as I thought he was a sure thing.

Enjoy New Zealand mate. I'm waiting to here weather I can reapply again.

Can you 'private message' me you're e-mail? I've no idea how Pm's work but I'm sure I can work it out.

Congrats again.

eddy_stobart
4th Nov 2004, 13:29
Well done Nearly,

New P.M. for you..

Simon_Sez
4th Nov 2004, 14:11
Anyone going to Stage 3 next tuesday (09/11/2004)?

Regards,

Simon.

madlandrover
11th Nov 2004, 15:28
Is anyone else going for Stage 2 this Tuesday (16/11)?

Lord Daddy Flash
12th Nov 2004, 11:27
Sweeney,

I assume 'specific piloting abilities' refers to the computer-based hand-eye co-ordination and mental capacity tests. Unless anyone has other ideas? How do you feel those went in particular?

The only way to get better at those would be to play loads of video games and maybe buy a specific 'game' that challenges mental capacity.

Hope this helps,

LDF

The Moog
12th Nov 2004, 20:18
From those that have been to stage 2 testing with CTC, are there any Verbal Reasoning Type questions and if so, can you give an example (as there are various types of these tests).

Cheers,

The Moog

Oscar Juliet
13th Nov 2004, 10:19
You'll be pleased to know that there aren't any verbal reasoning questions!

Lord Daddy Flash
13th Nov 2004, 21:16
The Moog...

Stage two consists of a group discussion to test interpersonal skills and the computer based aptitude tests (hand-eye co-ordination, visual interpretaiton, mental capacity etc).

LDF

FlyingTom
14th Nov 2004, 21:45
I had a very pleasant day in a sim in Nursling today. I have to say that if I had to start my training all over again the facilities at CTC blow the socks off everything else out there. I trained at Cabair and Oxford.

Also in case anyone doesn't know the age limit is 34 for applicants with fATPL's.

Good luck to everyone applying to CTC, you won't be dissapointed.

The Moog
14th Nov 2004, 22:41
Many thanks OJ & LDF for the info....am pleased to hear that they are not at stage 2!

one less thing to focus on!

The Moog :D

Sweeney
16th Nov 2004, 14:58
Thanks LDF, appreciate your comments.

I guess I had some difficulty with the joystick-based computer tests rather than the mental capacity tests and often overcompensated on some parts when I felt the test was running away from me. Probably due to a combination of nerves and lack of video game expertise!

Cheers,
Sweeney

jonjon
20th Nov 2004, 21:28
Hi,

A quick question...I am thinking of applying but I saw on their website that really it's only Easyjet and Thomas Cook that joined their program. This is really good except that at nearly 28, I am well over the limit.

Does anyone know if CTC have contacts with other airlines?

Thanks

J

Vee One...Rotate
20th Nov 2004, 21:41
jonjon,

I believe the age limit is 30 years old...that's what it says on the website.

Not sure what Thomas and Easy being the only current partnership airlines has to do with your age concern...?

I'm sure CTC are interested in getting more airlines onboard but at the moment it's Thomas and Easy. CTC's facilities can't be used by those not on their schemes so it doesn't really matter what contacts CTC have the other airlines...as a prospective cadet.

Regards,

V1R

BoraBora007
21st Nov 2004, 06:47
jonjon I think you should have a closer read of the website. If your 28 you'll go into the ATP pool. So have a search on pprune and find out who recruits from that............

jonjon
21st Nov 2004, 10:11
V1R, Borabora007

Thanks for your replies.

Easy and Thomas have age limits of 25 or 26 so I would not be eligible if I succeeded. That's why I am asking about other airlines.

I read the bit about the holding pool but that does not mean much to me:

"Therefore, cadets who have not yet been selected by an Airline will usually enter a “holding pool” after completing Intermediate Training, and proceed to Advanced Training once selected. "

But the only airlines are Easy and Thomas apparently so no good for anyone close the 30.

Maybe I am missing the point here but unless more airlines join the scheme, isn't this program just like any other FTO (once again this only applies to older applicants so don't go for the jugular :-)?

I could re-phrase my initial question:

Do you know of anyone aged 27-30 who got selected and then got a job?

Thanks
J

Vee One...Rotate
21st Nov 2004, 13:19
jonjon,

My mistake - I stand corrected.

I wasn't aware that Thomas and Easy had age limits for their cadets - I presumed that if CTC said 30 and CTC are currently allied with Thomas and Easy, then it was a consensus among the three...evidently not. Seems a bit odd doesn't it?

I suppose one of the differences of CTC when compared with some other FTOs is that its a one-stop-shop as you get a type rating as well. Also, there's a good guarantee (esp. if selected by an airline) of walking straight to the front of a jet after training.

I can't comment on the situation for applicants near the age limit...anyone?

Best of luck,

V1R

Simon_Sez
21st Nov 2004, 14:00
Hello all...

Apologies for the lack of an update. Sometimes life takes over and one has little control.
This is slightly off the current topic of age limits in the CTC Wings scheme, so apologies for that.
Unfortunately, I am now another statistic in the increasing list of Stage 3 rejects. Had my Stage 3 about 2 weeks ago now, and as enjoyable as the day was, it is a tad disappointing to have been unsuccessful. However!
The plan now is the structured modular route. Superior Pilot Services in SA to get JAA PPL and hour building, the The Pilot Training College of Ireland for ME/IR CPL fATPL. Been i contact with both schools, and more importantly, past pupils of each, and the level of positive feedback has been pleasantly surprising.

So anyway, I just thought I'd fill those that know me in on what was happening.

We shall chat again, but maybe a little less in this forum!

Regards,

Simon.

Vee One...Rotate
21st Nov 2004, 14:03
That's unfortunate Simon. I feel for you...but you'll be fine with that attitude (tenuous pun intended). Plan B it is.

Best of luck,

Simon_Sez
21st Nov 2004, 14:59
Thanks V1R,

Good to hear from you again. How are things going with you?

(Currently trying to book my flights to JHB...exciting!!) :} <- I love this smiley

Regards,

Simon.

Vee One...Rotate
21st Nov 2004, 15:32
Simon_Sez,

Currently muddling on through "Plan A" - finished uni in June, now working full-time and doing my PPL over the next 7-8 months or so...before trying this whole sponsorship malarky :bored:

PPL's going great - just under 5 hours in the ol' logbook so far so still a long way to go yet...but I start circuits next week :O

Regards fellow wannabes,

V1R

Mr.Fly
21st Nov 2004, 20:33
Hi Everybody!
I am going for stage 2 on Dec. 7th!
Does anybody else?
Would you guys be so kind and let me know more what to expect at Stage 2?

How long it takes?
What is the group exercise? How many people? What does CTC give points for?
What is the apt test about? Do I have to know anything about flying? Do they check my psychic and mental abilities or knowledge of aircraft systems and equipment?
Numeracy test - how many questions? On what subjects?
What to prepare for?
Do day ask any questions at this Stage?
Do they fail anybody at Stages 1a/1b, or they just let everyone to Stage 2 to get some money?
Would you call the tests "hard", "Moderate" or "Easy"
Regards and thank you so much in advance.
Mr. Fly

CB1
21st Nov 2004, 22:39
Mr fly check your pm's

gareth08
22nd Nov 2004, 21:04
Guys and girls - for anyone going on to stage 3 for the interview, a really good book to read is 'How to get a place on an airline pilot training scheme' by Sam Maybrey. You can buy it from the Transair pilot shop, i think they have an online store as far as i can remember.

I used it for the CTC interview and got through the selection. It has a couple of pages of questions that you are very likely to get asked. Most of the stuff they ask you though is all about getting to know you as a person, how you think and act and what you would do in situations. Why you picked subjects at school and extra cirricular activities and so on and so on. So all you can do is be yourself and come accross positive. If you lie through your teeth, you will only end up tripping yourself up!

Do beef up your knowledge on the current airline industry, as well as your aircraft general knowledge, basic stuff you can find on the airlines website. The rest is up to you as a person. The assessors and selection staff are really nice friendly people, and they really do put you at ease on the day, so just relax and enjoy the experience (easy to say i know) but at the end of the day when you relax you will shine through, rather than being a sweaty nervous wreck.

Good luck all!!

Mr.Fly
22nd Nov 2004, 22:16
Gareth did you pass through Stage 3?

Vee One...Rotate
22nd Nov 2004, 22:46
for anyone going on to stage 3 for the interview, a really good book to read is...

I used it for the CTC interview and got through the selection

Think that's your answer Mr. Fly!

V1R

maybe
23rd Nov 2004, 17:48
Hey, I'm going for stage 2 selection on 14th December.

Anyone know the best place to stay in Bournemouth? Is the test centre actually AT the airport or does it just somehow have that address?

I'm coming from Edinburgh so need to stay for 2 nights because it takes basically a whole day to travel :( Only way I've figured out so far is to drive to Prestwick then fly ryanair to bournemouth... that or 4 train changes. Anyone know of a better way?

Also, are the aptitude tests like the tests for any other job? i.e. working out percentages, interpreting graphs etc? Or are they flying specific?

Is this day just for the presentation and some tests + group discussion, or do they interview too?

One other thing, do any of the tests involve doing things with your feet? I'm female so would probably wear low heels, but if I need to work pedals or anything then I need to know!!

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully other people are wondering the same things! Thanks :)

MonarchA330
23rd Nov 2004, 19:06
maybe,

The apptitude tests are flying related, hand/eye co-ord, memorising radio/alt/speed/heading etc, spatial awareness. The maths questions are put into an aviation context, but are basically just your normal mental arithmetic questions. (you do get a pencil and paper, so dont worry!)

As regards the heels/flats issue, there is a part where you need to use your feet on rudder pedals. The CTC guys suggested to the girls present that they took off their shoes.

It's been said a million times before, but try and be chilled and relax. It's the best way to perform to your maximum potential!
Good luck!
M330

maybe
23rd Nov 2004, 19:21
MonarchA330,

Thanks for your reply... when you say the aptitude tests are flying related, do they require flying knowledge? I have no flying experience so if they are based on knowing how to fly a plane, or knowing about instruments etc, then I don't stand a chance!!

MonarchA330
23rd Nov 2004, 21:36
maybe,
check your Private messages.
M330

Vee One...Rotate
23rd Nov 2004, 23:01
maybe,

Not meaning to sound too harsh but maybe getting some background knowledge on your chosen career might be a good idea? If you're passionate about wanting to be a pilot, I'd have thought you'd know SOMETHING about how aircraft fly etc. !?

It's safe to say that the CTC people will probe you about your knowledge of all sorts of things related to flying inc. the airline industry, basic flying stuff, etc. if you'e lucky enough to get through.

Good luck,

V1R

Groundloop
24th Nov 2004, 08:31
Maybe,

So you have applied to become an airline pilot and accept a debt of £60,000 - and you seem to know virtually nothing about it or even know if you'll enjoy it!

Go to your local flying club and have a trial lesson. You'll learn two things:-

1) Do you still want to be a pilot?

2) You will now have at least some idea of how an aircraft is controlled and what the instruments are.

It amazes me just how many wannabee pilots have never had a single flying lesson.

maybe
24th Nov 2004, 09:30
I *have* had a trial lesson thank you!

This made me decide that I definitely wanted to learn to fly, I'm just not sure if I want to make a career out of it.

From having one trial lesson, yes I know vaguely how the controls work, but I don't have enough knowledge to answer questions or do tests on the subject.

Groundloop
24th Nov 2004, 10:16
Apologies, maybe, but you did say you had "no" flying experience.

maybe
24th Nov 2004, 10:19
I did, sorry if it was unclear, but I would hardly consider a trial lesson to be "flying experience" !! I was focusing more on looking at the landscape than the controls and instruments :rolleyes:

Simon_Sez
24th Nov 2004, 11:33
Maybe,

I had my Stage 2 back in September and there are NO use of pedals, just a joystick. CTC-McAlpine's selection process did use a joystick AND rudder pedals but the new CTC Wings Scheme does not, unless they have introduced them VERY recently, which I doubt.
(Monarch, did you go through the system a while back or recently?)

Aptitude tests can be found at www.pilapt.com. You can't take the tests but there are screenshots which allow you to get an idea of what to expect.
You don't need to have seen the inside of an aircraft to take and pass these tests. They assess your hand-eye coordination skills, and ability to work under pressure and consistently improve at certain tasks. i.e. with the aptitude tests you are given 3 goes at each, the idea being to improve your score with each attempt.

Monarch was right about the Numerical/Maths test. Simple stuff just phrased in an aviation related way. eg Aircraft is descending from 8,000ft at 750ft/min. How long will it take to descend to 5,000ft.?
ANSWER: 8,000ft-5,000ft=3,000ft @ 750ft/min=4 Minutes.

Hope this helps,

Simon.

MonarchA330
24th Nov 2004, 15:11
yeah, did my stage 2 a while ago. looks like things have changed since then!
M330

no sponsor
26th Nov 2004, 14:21
The CTC guys who recently just finished Mod 2 with me at BGS paint a rather dull picture. Easy Jet are not recruiting these guys at the moment, so this set of 6, plus some others, are being given Type Rating dates towards the end of 2005. They won't start their IR until Feb/March either. They are being offered cabin crew positions at EJ.

They all sounded a bit depressed to me, and stated that CTC had hired far too many for the positions that are available. CTC said they were trying to get other airlines to sign up soon.

Unfortunately, if they want to persue their career out of CTC, they will have to pay £1000 per month for the next 7 years.:ugh:

They are a good bunch of lads, all switched on, and I genuinely feel a bit sorry for their predicament.

Mr.Fly
26th Nov 2004, 17:43
Simon_Sez said:

"You don't need to have seen the inside of an aircraft to take and pass these tests. They assess your hand-eye coordination skills, and ability to work under pressure and consistently improve at certain tasks. i.e. with the aptitude tests you are given 3 goes at each, the idea being to improve your score with each attempt"

Does that mean one should do the first attempt as bad as he only could, and just pay attention to the last attempt to show those guys that he learns fast?

Simon_Sez
26th Nov 2004, 19:09
Not quite.

Once you're sitting in front of the monitor, it's a slightly different story.
you shold try your best at each attempt. After each attempt, you'll notice different things about the exercise and you'll want to improve on that particular aspect. It's hard to explain fully but you'll see once you get there.

Bottom line: Try your best. Simple.

Simon.

highflyer27
26th Nov 2004, 21:17
No sponsor - your information is wrong and the parts that resemble the truth are out of date.

CTC cadets are the most fortunate wannabes there are. They are certainly not in any "predicament".

Easyjet were going to stop recruiting for 6 months, they have now reversed this decision and are continuing with 737 training for a little longer. Some delays are still expected, but CTC are dealing with those in another way.

Other airlines are increasing their recruitment of wings cadets and so, those on Easyjet courses that are to be delayed are going to be released to go to other airlines, as long as CTC fill up Easyjets requirements with later cadets.

Bottom line - delays will not occur to any significant extent and everyone is still in a great position. All airlines, including Easyjet are increasing their requirements for cadets. No need to "feel sorry" for anybody. Getting into a top airline, flying jets after 18 months isnt too bad at all!

Also, that £1000 per month - well thats not such a big deal when a) the airline pays it out of non-taxed salary, which saves the cadet thousands, or b) you start a job with First Choice, Britannia, Monarch who all start on about £45k with flight pay included. Bear in mind repayments dont start until employment is gained.

It'll take no sponsored people like yourself years longer to clear your debts, thats if you actually get a job. Thats who I feel sorry for :ugh:

madlandrover
27th Nov 2004, 15:28
Anyone else going for stage 3 on 17th December?

no sponsor
29th Nov 2004, 09:52
Highflyer27,

I am merely passing on the statement and sentiments made by the cadets I have been training with in the last few weeks.

I agree they are all in an enviable position once placed as a FO in an airline.

I also work for a living, and will not have any debts once I've finished.

AH64 APACHE
29th Nov 2004, 10:17
Think you might find the Also, that £1000 per month - well thats not such a big deal when a) the airline pays it out of non-taxed salary, which saves the cadet thousands, or b) you start a job with First Choice, Britannia, Monarch who all start on about £45k with flight pay included. Bear in mind repayments dont start until employment is gained.

is a bit of a myth as Monarch for sure have just dropped their T's and C's for new joiners - I would say more like 35k as more realistic - not that that is bad but just not the golden ticket dreamed of. As you say though still a nice position to be in.

tree_greens
29th Nov 2004, 10:51
no sponsor,

You are very correct. The cadets at CTC are sat around and have been told 6 months. There was some crap given to them about 2 potential airlines possibly going to take them on but I think this was to keep their spirits up - the same crap was given about 12 months ago about an extra airline signing up with nothing happening in the end. The dole office is now very busy with CTC cadets because of the easyjet delay, with all that interest racking up on the £60k. Not good.

highflyer27,

You sound very much like one of the CTC PR crew who did the presentation at selection. Its not Rod Wren behind that username is it??????
You are wrong. Having spoken to some friends on the inside very recently, there is still no word on whats going on apart from a non-commital post on their internal forum - no phone calls or anything - THEY ARE STILL SAT AT HOME WAITING FOR NEWS! It could be longer than 6 months.
Also, they only have to be in the CTC holding pool for 12 months before CTC can get rid of them with no ties. A bit worrying!!

Johhnylawson
30th Nov 2004, 00:13
I've been thinking about applying for the "CTC Wings" scheme for a while. I have 70 hours P1 in Gliders, before i apply would it be advantagous to get an NPPL which I can get for ~10hours. Or would it be better to apply with no Power flying experience.

Good luck too all

highflyer27
30th Nov 2004, 02:05
Well yes, the last post I wrote was based around that internal post on the forum, which I found out about.

Even if the ezy guys do have to wait, they are still going to enter employment faster than self-sponsored guys, and its still a jet f/o position.

Also bear in mind, since the ATP scheme has been running since 1994, CTC have never failed to place a cadet. Thats 10 years and nobody has left without a job.

The only chance you have at a job with Monarch for example, who's pay is still good (ppjn) is via CTC. Remember, those ab initio cadets going into the ATP pool go straight to the top of the list and can turn down two airlines if they so wish.

A great position, which I want to be in :ok:

Louis Euan
30th Nov 2004, 12:15
I am sitting in that ATP holding pool and have been there for a while now. I do feel confident that I will be placed and the recruitment season for the major charters will be coming up soon, there is everything to look forward to.
It is a little worrying to hear about EZY etc but I am sure they will start there recruitment again soon if not already. I do feel lucky to be in this position even though things are moving quite slowly at the moment.

AH64 APACHE
30th Nov 2004, 12:20
The only chance you have at a job with Monarch for example, who's pay is still good (ppjn) is via CTC

Might want to talk to some of the CTC guys just taken on to see what they make of it all. Still a B scale compared to all the other pilots in Monarch.

Also bear in mind, since the ATP scheme has been running since 1994, CTC have never failed to place a cadet. Thats 10 years and nobody has left without a job.

Define ' placed' in these terms - and 'nobody has left without a job' - think that is factually incorrect.

jmc1980
30th Nov 2004, 13:09
Define ' placed' in these terms - and 'nobody has left without a job' - think that is factually incorrect.

Do you have any examples? Is it just a rumor you heard or do you know someone who's been left without a job after going through CTC?

highflyer27
1st Dec 2004, 02:05
Don't see where this "B" scale comes from - what do you mean? The pay is the same - what could possibly be "B" scale about it. Maybe some of the other pilots might think it a bit unfair that you are there but thats life!

Its in black and white - the ATP scheme has never failed to place a cadet. Its perfectly true

:D

tree_greens
1st Dec 2004, 07:23
Highflyer27,

You seem to know a lot about CTC. Are you sure you aren't Rod Wren in disguise? Posting at 3am will make it about 3pm in NZ!

danzam007
1st Dec 2004, 17:53
Hi!
Is there anyone who is attending stage 2 on dec 14th????

Does anyone know what to expect? if so can you please help me?
thanx

Danzam

CB1
2nd Dec 2004, 14:26
danazam check your pm's.

Anyone stage three on 20th? Will rpobably be mostly the people from stage two on the 14th I suppose, see some of you there hopefully.

Good Luck all.

CB1

What goes up
2nd Dec 2004, 15:58
I'm also attending Stage 2 soon, but not on the 14th!

I've noticed everyone who's asked for info about Stage 2 has had PMs, so could any very kind person please do the same for me?

easy cadet
2nd Dec 2004, 21:31
Don’t critisize what you don’t understand – Bob Dylan

Sorry if I am breaking a convention by my first post being controversial, but this is not a maiden speech in the House of Commons.

tree_greens, you appear to be somewhat ill-informed and are, as such, misrepresenting the truth; perhaps not deliberately, but the effect is the same. While I am not a spokesperson, I do have access to the Wings cadet forum and I am in NZ; that's the credibility of my information.

CTC did announce additional airlines a few months back; five of them in fact. And hot news is that BA have been added to the list. Currently (I quote from an impeccable source), the airlines are:

Britannia
British Airways
easyJet
First Choice
flyBE
Jet2
Monarch
Thomas Cook

As for the eJ cadets who are waiting for type rating, some have been placed with Britannia and some with BA. They will be replaced by other cadets who have not yet been selected by an airline, so eJ get the original planned numbers.

That’s what I call a result.

tree_greens, as your posts suggest that you applied for the scheme (but were not successful), why do you want to criticise it? Is it your own disappointment?

no sponsor
2nd Dec 2004, 21:55
Good and impressive news for those cadets.

I'll keep a look out for the press releases.

Looking forward to seeing future posts by the two members who registered just to answer my original statement. :hmm:

tree_greens
3rd Dec 2004, 08:28
I have family on the scheme! Thats how I get my info. As far as I know the only new news (as of 1st December!!!) is that Britannia are taking on at least 7 cadets. Not heard a thing about all those other airlines you mentioned, especially not BA! BA have a good supply of INTEGRATED students that they are taking from Oxford & Cabair.

The old CTC sponsorship was rebranded the 'wings' scheme a few months back and from what I can see they have used the old AQC customers as new launch customers for the wings scheme. False advertising from what I can see when BA, First Choice, Flybe & Jet2 haven't taken on any cadets in all these months!!!

Your style of writing makes you sound very much like highflyer27 (I mean Rod Wren). Stop playing us around will ya.

I didn't apply for the CTC scheme as I already have a job!:ok:

easy cadet,

Just read your latest post on the Is CTC the only way forward thread. VERY suspicious. Quite accurate with some of the figures there arent you, and you seem to know a hell of a lot more than the average cadet!!! I smell a rat. RW himself advertising his flying circus?

highflyer27
3rd Dec 2004, 09:59
I take it from your post that it is impossible that anything new could have happened since the 1st December?

BA have just joined in the last 24hrs.

Check with whoever you know on the scheme (mo) before you make posts on this topic.

Why are you so keen to slag it off anyway? Is your family member on the scheme not happy with it? Whats so suspicious about easy cadets other post? - its accurate.

scientifics
3rd Dec 2004, 12:42
So CTC will be doing every sponsorship deal there is? God it's a f:mad:ing monopoly.

If Mary Brown or Rod Wren don't like you you are fu:mad:d

If FlyBe had joined why would they be working with Cabair and why would Britannia sponsor through Jerez? All of which are happening/happened very recently.

Shi:mad: guys you all better stop self funding and going modular as all of the pilots in europe will soon be getting churned out like sausages from CTC. At least the RAF won't be losing so many. Oh shi:mad: stop press CTC will be doing the RAF's recruitment soon.

That's it then folks if you do not get through CTC you are all worthless and should not bother trying so hard to achieve your dream. It seems that if you don't sing the CTC tune you don't stand a cat in hells chance of ever landing a pilots job, so just give it up. Rod and his friends have sewn that market up sweetly, lock fu:mad: stock. You could always try tube driving 18k-35k 35hr week, 52 days holiday a year. Oh stop press news flash, apparently CTC will be doing the recruitment for that one and you have to sing to their tune and put a bond down for £60,000.

We are all doomed doomed.

Timeout
3rd Dec 2004, 13:24
scientifics - You are talking utter nonsense.

A case of the Green Eyed Monster perhaps?

Throwing personal insults at 2 very good people, is not called for either.

pheeel
3rd Dec 2004, 13:25
this thread is keeping me entertained....especially good to read when I get back from a pretty dull day at work..

out the window goes plan B then ;)

its true there's not much in the way of competition for CTC at the moment, anyone know any Crew Training Captains that are going free? Bit of money, an arrangement with HSBC, couple of planes and a contact in an airline and we're sorted....who's up for it?!:D

:hmm:

What goes up
3rd Dec 2004, 13:44
Considering i'm going for Stage 2 soon this is interesting reading! I'm trying to brush up in preparation - I know the tests are mathmatical and eye/hand coordination, but can anyone tell me anymore than that? Is there anything in particular I can prepare for?

Timeout
3rd Dec 2004, 14:15
What goes up -

A lot has been written regarding stage 2 on earlier posts. The day consists of a group discussion - try and be yourself and get involved.

Then you will have a short math’s test. Make sure you are up to speed on long division and multiplication, speed/distance/time stuff and basic arithmetic etc

The aptitude tests are looking at your innate skills - very little you can do to prepare unfortunately. I strongly suggest an early night and a good breakfast. When doing the tests try to stay as relaxed as possible, and don't get flustered by others. I personally read all the instructions twice to make sure I knew what I was doing. It certainly helped me, and it you don’t appear be negatively marked for doing so as I passed stage 2, and as I said, I read all instructions twice.

Good luck!

scientifics
3rd Dec 2004, 14:18
If telling the truth is throwing personal insults then fine. I can not actually see where I have insulted anyone on my last post, I have not called anyone any names. I have my opinion and you have yours, you are wrong though.

I will tell you something else many of you don't know.

You can get hold of the Compass Test and PILAPT if you know the right people and believe me people have who have passed CTC's selection have used it! FACT. This whole illusion that you can't prepare for the tests is utter b*ll*cks. I have consistently been able to improve my score on a friend of a friends PILAPT and Advanced COMPASS test just to see if I could. It's just like playing a computer game the more you practise the better you become at it.

If you want to help yourselves improve your maths then buy the Trachtenberg (Spelling) book of speed mathematics and practise, in less than 1 hour you will be able to do 1548 X 896 in about 20 seconds in your head.

If you want help with other tests there is a book that was brought out to help US airforce pilot wannabees I can't remember the name but you can buy it from amazon.com. Two of the tests in this book have been 'allegedly' pillaged and put straight into the Advanced Compass test ( the one with the headings) and the "an aircraft flies at 800 knots" etc bullshi* questions. I kid you not those questions are identical, the book even shows you how to answer them.

As for the sim check you can pay £100 to ride in exactly the same sim or very similar elsewhere for a few hours. I won't say where but I know people who have, use you initiative if you really want it.

I can't help you with the interview, you are on your own for that one.

You can also buy the sim software for a few pounds, illegally of course. There are so many Malaysian and Chinese websites selling this stuff it's unbeliveable.;)

"This is a Fictitious post as we live in Fictitious times. This post is 100% made up and is false in every sense. This post does not reflect the views of the author"

easy cadet
3rd Dec 2004, 19:21
Tree_greens, you are a conspiracy theorist and pretty wound up. Not everyone on this forum is Rod Wren, and some of us are pretty well informed about what we are doing. There are quite a lot of us living in the Factory who are really quite pleased to be here. Why should we not be free to register on this forum and defend the scheme we are on from inaccurate attacks? Free speech is OK you know. What’s in your pants?

For the record, my source was the Wings cadet forum; I quoted from a post put there yesterday, announcing the above.

Last night it was confirmed at a meeting I attended – try asking your brother.

What goes up
6th Dec 2004, 18:50
Just another quick question about stage 2, how long does it last? A couple of hours or until the evening? Lunch arrangements or anything like that?

Not sure whether to book accomodation for 2 nights, many thanks!

AndyJ
6th Dec 2004, 18:58
Stage 2 started at around 9am if I remember correctly and went through until about 4pm (ish). Lunch is provided.

I think there is quite a lot of info about the various stages of selection on another thread but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!:D

tree_greens
7th Dec 2004, 07:19
easy cadet,

BA are considering 2 cadets who were originally in the BA hold pool before joining CTC. It was the cadets who approached BA about getting a job, not CTC having a new contract with BA.

Whats in my pants you say? Well, obviously not as much testosterone as in yours.

As for having all the facts before you post, may be you should have them all - cadets were warned a long time ago about posting on this forum. You obviously weren't aware and hence the recent further warning from RW.

I dont have a brother! Where did you get that from?
:p

Harveyhudson
7th Dec 2004, 15:37
Hello There

I heard someone knows how to get hold of practice versions of the pilapt tests???:}

Where ....how, who from?? I am not from CTC but i would love to be in New Zealand... i have got stage 2 comming up soon!!

Please help if you can :ok:

berty
7th Dec 2004, 23:51
Hi all,

After recently passing stage 2 I really need some help with any interview questions/subjects anyone can remember from stage 3. I am a strong believer in what goes around comes around so PLEASE HELP, anyone that attended...

I can confirm stage 2 will consist of a 15 question in 15 mins maths test which shouldn't be difficult but tricky in the time - simple addition/subtraction/multiplication and division - SO BE PREPARED AND STUDY BEFORE.

Group discussion - around 8 people, 3 subject to choose from, 5 mins to write points down on each before deciding as a group which subject to discuss. Subjects include: Where you would build a new airport in the Uk, Should euthanasia be legal, whether aids is to blame for the diminishing population in the third world or our ignorance ?? (not sure about this one) and if smoking should be banned in public places. Be vocal but not over-powering and REMEMBER to come to a decision at the end !!

PILAPT - Holding moving horizontal/vertical lines in the centre of the screen - Joystick only, no pedals.

Shapes appearing on a matrix which will have the shapes around the border of the matrix - you have to click on the shape as it matches the one on the border - mouse operated.

Flying through squares in the screen

...and the last one is the most interesting with keeping the lines in the centre again but multitasking with listening to a reducing counter and identifying when the series changes whilst listening for a shape you have to look for at the left hand side of the screen...

Hope this makes sense... good luck and TRY and relax !! You can't really prepare for this but might help with nerves if you know a bit of what to expect !!

Brasher
12th Dec 2004, 17:54
Does anyone know if the CTC people take a dim view of people who have started studying for their ATPL's? I have the notes for Bristol GS module 1 and I saw somewhere on PPRUNE that CTC do not like this as you are not "ab-initio". I'm not ab-initio anyway as I have 105 hours. Anyone else going to the 11 Jan assessment day? Feel free to PM me!

Regards,
M

Anticlockwise
13th Dec 2004, 00:24
Brasher,

Don't believe everything you read on here, it's not all gospel! There are a few people who had completed their ATPL groundschool prior to starting with CTC.

However, I will try to confirm this and PM you.

Rgds

A. C-W
:ok:

Harveyhudson
14th Dec 2004, 10:42
Hello All!

on a lighter note, has anyone seen a programme on the BBC on monday nights about people flying Lancaster bombers. To my greta surprise the Guy Tim who is captaining the bomber was on CTC stage 2 on the 30th November and in the red group with me.

If you are tim, please feel free to PM me. What an amazing thing to have done! I would like to hear of your experiences and hopefully shre info about CTC. Did you get to stage three??

Thanks

Wing_Bound_Vortex
27th Dec 2004, 00:42
Know for a fact that having passed the atpl's doesn't restrict you from joining this course, though you might not want to have too many hours along with it, i'm guessing ctc prefer you to be trained their way if at all possible on the wings scheme.

But there have been guys with a few hundred hours which have made it onto the course and by now have finished and are flying with the airlines, so no problems there. It all comes down to the selection i guess, and how you put yourself across.

WBV

tangerine_dreamer
28th Dec 2004, 18:38
Hi,

Nice thread. Just a couple of questions. I have my stage 3 coming up soon and was just wondering what group exercises I could expect?

Also, any difficult questions people were asked during the interview.

Cheers

marksy
10th Jan 2005, 10:21
Hi,

I read in this forum some questions about the differing age limits of CTC and the likes of Easy Jet etc.

I couldn't see any responses so would be grateful if someone could clarify what airlines recruit from the scheme for candidates aged 27-30 at date of application?

Many thanks in advance.

esvdx
10th Jan 2005, 16:55
When I spoke to CTC about 2 months ago it seemed that none of the CTC partner airlines were planning to take people from the older age group you mentioned.

This may have changed by now so it might be worth sending an email to ask.

Regards,

esvdx

Vee One...Rotate
13th Jan 2005, 16:47
I take it this is a quiet time of year for CTC? Judging by the posts on this forum...

V1R

Brasher
13th Jan 2005, 18:24
...Was busy at CTC on Monday. Most hadn't heard of PPRuNE though.

lscajp
18th Jan 2005, 14:36
l

jamojdm
2nd Feb 2005, 18:31
Hey guys,

A quick question I'm hoping someone can enlighten me with an answer to.

Well as I'm nearing the end of my degree i'm finally applying to ctc, and have a question about the references section on the application form.

Now they want 2 references you have known for 5 years that arent friends or family, and preferable business or academic.

Well I dont have any academic references stretching 5 years.
GCSE's in 2000
A'levels in 2002
Uni 2002 - present

I'm sure that there a loads of people in this situation. Did you just put next door neigbours? Thats all I can come up with at the moment.

Cheers

Jamo

Vee One...Rotate
2nd Feb 2005, 19:03
The references are, as I understand it, for security reasons rather than character references. So I suppose they are quite lenient e.g. GPs, dentists, etc. would be some options.

I'm not at the stage of applying for sponsorships yet but would have to have a real think about people I've known for 5 years what with, like you say, moving about with uni/work.

Maybe someone has more info...?

V1R

Brasher
2nd Feb 2005, 22:18
I personally used a school friend's mum as one of my referees. Anyone going to interview/stage 3 next week?

Wing_Bound_Vortex
9th Feb 2005, 08:08
so how's everyone finding selection at the mo then, what's the proportion of people getting through to the later stages? just curious, as i'm wondering how ctc are still getting a steady flow of people through to nz, isn't the supply going to slowly dry up if they keep the standards the same?

WBV

joe
9th Feb 2005, 09:48
wing_bound_vortex

You have missed the point completely.

CTC will never lower the standard of the individuals they select, even if numbers are low that get through. Doing so would go aginst everything CTC stands for.

Rgds

stupendousman
9th Feb 2005, 15:15
Anyone heading along to the 26th of feb phase 3 day?

also, does anyone know at what stage one actually becomes bonded (basically at what moment do you have to sign your life away to HSBC)?

One more question. does anyone know what proportion of successful entrants get sponsored by someone like ez?

cheers,

stupendousman.

nhalliwell921
9th Feb 2005, 20:24
Did anyone ever find out what the deal is with re-applying? I failed stage 2 back in august and its coming up to 6 months soon so i'd like to reapply if i can (finish my uni course this year). Is it by invitation only or can anyone reapply after a certain length of time?

I'm sure i read somewhere when it was still ctc-mcalpine that you could reapply every year, at least thats the impression i got.

Nick

Vee One...Rotate
9th Feb 2005, 21:05
Going back a long time I seem to remember people saying (on these forums) that is was by invitation only and normally only offered to those who failed at quite a late stage of selection.

A lot's changed since then though so who knows?

V1R

Brasher
9th Feb 2005, 22:02
V1R - Have you actually had any experience of the CTC scheme?

Vee One...Rotate
9th Feb 2005, 22:07
If you're asking if I've applied to the scheme then the answer's no.

What does that have to do with me passing on what I've heard/read to nhalliwell921?

What I say is factually correct. Not sure what your point is mate?

Regards,

V1R

Brasher
9th Feb 2005, 22:15
Was a perfectly reasonable question to ask. No need to get so defensive. Chill Winston!

Vee One...Rotate
9th Feb 2005, 22:22
Sorry Brasher. Been a bit of a day fighting my corner on a few issues at work, guess I'm still in that zone...! Obviously misjudged your tone. Realised after my post. Apologies. Best of luck with the sponsorship.

Hoping to apply to this and similar schemes later in the year.

Anyway, ignore me, I'll go away now :p

Back to the thread...

V1R

BitMoreRightRudder
10th Feb 2005, 00:18
Joe,

I think you will find WBV understands ctc's requirement to fill courses with cadets of a consistent standard, however with course sizes soon to be increased to ten cadets per course, finding people to fill the quota will require

a) more people to apply

and/or

b) more people to pass selection

and/or

(what WBV is getting at)

c) ctc to look at perhaps lowering some ability level requirements at various stages of selection

Not saying that they will, just a discussion point:8

Your thoughts ladies and gents?

Wing_Bound_Vortex
10th Feb 2005, 08:53
The point i was trying to make was that, as a BitMoreRightRudder pointed out, with the ramping up of the scheme and the standards remaining high as before, how are CTC managing to get the required number of people through?

Even in the days when there were 6 people a course it was mentioned in many places that there was often problems with getting enough people of a required standard through each month. I have no doubt CTC will keep their standards as they are, as it would create problems if they didn't in terms of progress and completion dates for the airlines. Am just interested it how things are going to pan out, so as BMRR said, any thoughts??? :}

ps 6 months is the usual time till re-application, give ctc a mail/phone call and have a chat with whoever deals with it, i'm guessing it's Mary. But you'd better have a good reason to convince ctc why you should be allowed to try out again, what you've done to prepair yourself for selection etc etc. Good luck!

WBV

gmack1985
3rd Mar 2005, 11:08
Anyone made it all the way that has some tips on what to say in the questions given in 1B?

Also, is there anyone who has made it all the way yet?

P.S any more information you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

G

PPRuNeUser0162
8th Mar 2005, 21:35
Is anybody going to the 2nd Stage on the 15th of March??? Has anyone gone through the 2nd Stage recently and noticed anything not mentioned in the thread??

Thanks

MonarchA330
9th Mar 2005, 08:30
gmack,
check your personal messages

Air of Despair
9th Mar 2005, 08:46
Britboy, Check your Pm's

ant000
15th Mar 2005, 13:07
Is anyone going to stage 2 on the 5th april?
Echoing Britboy's comments, can anyone whose been through stage 2 add any additional information on what to expect?

Thanks a lot

Falcon_Captain
16th Mar 2005, 13:39
wow, look at all the interest in the CTC scheme now!

My father-in-law convinced me it was a scam when it first started, and I gave it little consideration. Still applied though, but made only an average commitment - scared of getting my hopes up I guess.

Now look at me! Going through Stage III in a week or so.

I am so pleased to get this far.

Anyone got any last-minute tips on Stage III? And why is it that now they seem to put you through Stage IV immediately after passing Stage III? I think I would be a gibbering heap (or at least more so than I am already...) if I got through Stage III, so what use am I going to be sitting there in the Sim dribbling and gurgling incomprehensibly?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. A BIG thank you to a certain "Air of Dispair" for all his help so far - a veritable fount of knowledge on the CTC thing!

Cheers! :ok:

Good Luck to all! :\

BoraBora007
16th Mar 2005, 15:47
My father-in-law convinced me it was a scam when it first started

Just goes to show - never listen to father - in - laws;)

what use am I going to be sitting there in the Sim dribbling and gurgling incomprehensibly?

Hmmm, not much use, you'd better watch the captain doesn't think your having a fit.

Good luck

MonarchA330
16th Mar 2005, 18:00
Do they do the sim test on the same day as the interview now? In my day we had a lovely night in a hotel before goig in the sim...

Screwballs
17th Mar 2005, 09:11
Ahhh, the Lyndhurst Park no doubt... :p

Brasher
17th Mar 2005, 11:36
Stage 4 is the day after stage 3 (usually). None of selection is done in a hotel now - all in their Bournemouth centre.

ant000
17th Mar 2005, 12:43
Just wondering where is the best place to stay the night before the bournemouth stage 2 tests?

cheers

PileUp Officer
17th Mar 2005, 14:57
Hi, I’m going down on to Phase 2 on 5th April. I'm probably just gonna ring up one of the hotels on the .pdf list. I'd appreciate any info too, especially on the group discussion.
The last time I did one I thought "I've got to say something!" so I came out with some totally random comment and everyone in the room just went quiet, looked at me, then went "Er... NO!" and carried on talking
:ugh:

Brasher
20th Mar 2005, 20:47
I stayed at Stour Villa. It's the cheapest at £25 a night and the couple who run it are really friendly. They will tell you what to expect (as they have applicants every week) and will make sure you get there on time. They will provide transport if you need it.

If no-one else going to CTC is staying at that B&B they will ring round and try and get you guys to meet up (helps a hell of a lot with the group discussion).

The number is 01202 483379

MBA
20th Mar 2005, 23:58
Just wanted to say that in no way is CTC a scam and anyone who has had anything to do with CTC will know that. Just look at the millions that are being ploughed into the New Zealand operation alone.

CTC is owned and operated by some of the nicest and most sincere people I have met. They want to train young men and women to be some of the best pilots in the industry and all they ask for in return is that you work your hardest to attain that standard. Hence a comprehensive but fair selection process. From where I am currently sitting you cant get fairer than that and I am thourougly enjoying the experience.

Kind regards.

robfitz123
30th Mar 2005, 16:05
Hi All

I have stage 2 on the 12 April and would appreciate any info that you guys have that may give me some help.

Many thanks in advance

fitz

boeingbus2002
30th Mar 2005, 23:24
When did you guys send your forms in? Did you have to wait long to get the call up?

McJiz
1st Apr 2005, 17:29
Hi,

I've got stage 2 on 5th April. Anyone else going then?

McJiz

Screwballs
5th Apr 2005, 10:36
How are the Burger Fuel Boys getting on? :p

Wing_Bound_Vortex
5th Apr 2005, 18:35
BFuel eh? I'm missing it, will be opening my own chain over 'ere.....:}

WBV

Screwballs
5th Apr 2005, 19:49
I guess that will be something to look forward to in Cheddar... :ok:

BitMoreRightRudder
7th Apr 2005, 13:45
I was always partial to Wendy's meself.......

Gillespie
8th Apr 2005, 09:49
hi,

I've been invited back for phase 3 reassessment. The last time I attended phase 3 was back in October.

Can anyone tell me who has been recently if the format is the same as the follows:

Brief description about yourself to the rest of the candidates (apparently not part of selection, but they assessors were scribbling like mad).

2 group exercises, 1) ship wreck, what do you take? 2) build stuff out of Lego.

Then interview.

Thanks a lot.

Screwballs
8th Apr 2005, 10:14
Can't beat a good Massala Club on a Friday night, the 8th that is... :rolleyes: Wing Bound, pm me if you get a chance.

Thanks,
Screwballs

Maude Charlee
9th Apr 2005, 08:41
Just curious as to what is going on down there at the mo. Recently asked for an application form for the ATP scheme and was told they're not currently running any new courses as the airlines aren't recruiting!

Have I just been redirected to a parallel universe? Plenty of recruitment from what I can gather, and what's more, I understand their holding pool is almost empty.

Anybody know what the score is? :confused:

pilotchap
9th Apr 2005, 09:20
I too have been told they are not accepting any more applications at the minute too. I have waited ages to apply, as i wanted more hours and my MCC completed before i applied to give me a better chance of getting through. I am nearly 34 so will have run out of time by the time they start again.

Maude Charlee
11th Apr 2005, 09:30
34 is OK at the time you apply. 35 would be a problem.

Moffman
11th Apr 2005, 13:49
Hello everyone

Was just wondering if anyone else is going down for stage 3 selection on the 4th may??

Looking forward to it!!!

McJiz
11th Apr 2005, 14:39
When were you at Stage 2 Moffman?

I don't have a date for Stage 3 yet

McJiz

Moffman
14th Apr 2005, 14:59
yeah mcjiz..

this is my second attempt...so hav learnt from my mistakes..and will hopefully get through it this time, i finished my job just so i could prepare for this so hopefully will be worth it!!

maybe you should concentrate on passing your stage 2 first before worrying about your dates for stage 3..just a suggestion!

Regards

Moffman

apologies mcjiz..just realised you had stage 2 in april not may...brain not fuctioning at the mo..too much bloody revision !1

Gillespie
15th Apr 2005, 12:48
Anyone attending phase 3 on 20th April? I've recieved no e-mail detailing the format of the day. (probably because this is my second attempt and I've gone through a separate system)

Can anyone tell me what time I should get there and what I need to bring with me?

Cheers.

McJiz
15th Apr 2005, 18:00
Check your PMs Gillespie

Cheers

G-BXVK
17th Apr 2005, 16:20
I know that there is a thread regarding the selection process for CTC however i can't seem to find any help on the application stage of the process. Could anyone who has got through shed any light on what they put down for the question stage.

Never had problems with application forms before but this one means a lot and i'm not the greatest with words. If anyone could PM me some or their suggestions or answers then that would be a great starting point.

Cheers

The Phantom Viffer
18th Apr 2005, 00:07
If anyone could PM me some or their suggestions or answers then that would be a great starting point.

Surely you ARE joking? Hmm, let me see... I can't figure out what to write so I'll copy someone else...Yes, that makes sense!!

If you don't know what to write then just maybe you should be questioning your desire, motivation and ability to become a pilot. Did you have much trouble filling out the initial application form or did you get mummy and daddy to help you?

And to answer your next question (The viffer knows everything), wear a suit!!

:rolleyes:

daveycrocket
18th Apr 2005, 00:33
Hi guys, :ok:

I have my stage 2 coming up soon and was hoping for some helpful souls on here to give me a hand with some answers to questions I have about Stage 2 and 3. I have already passed the first phase*.

Could someone pm me with what to wear for the stage 2? Do you think a suit is too formal? Or should I go with a pilots uniform? Maybe with four gold bar epualettes to show my ambition? I'm really unsure about what to wear to possibly the most important interview I'll ever do if I want to be a pillock, sorry pilot...

I know it might sound strange to some but to I am at a loss at what to choose. I mean a suit? That seems so outrageous! It would be the last thing on my list. I usually wear a tutu to my interviews...

As for the the written answers... I don't really know what to do there because I can't actually hand-write. Big failing I know, but I guess I'm just lazy! What I really want is you fellas help and anyone on the course aready to give me the answers. Because I'd need help on it, and I want to take a few days to think up a good answer. I'm sure during the interview process they would give you a few days to answer...

And do they give you a laptop for the interview or do you have to provide your own so you can access pprune when a tough question comes up?

Looking forward to everyone's pm's and constructive answers - heaven knows I couldn't come up with my own.

Davey

*Filling in the online application is the first tough hurdle right?

G-BXVK
18th Apr 2005, 08:07
The Phantom Viffer,

I apologise in advance for the language i'm about to use.

We're you born a **** or did you take a degree in it?

Why the **** do you need to be so arrogant, aggresive, and downright rude. I'm simply asking for some advice on how others approached the questions. The main reason i ask is cos i don't want to spoil the only chance i'll have of getting through because i have that DESIRE and don't want to be dissapointed!! There is no harm in asking for advice.

PPRUNE is generally a friendly place to post but there are some tossers like you that spoil it. Did mummy and daddy drop you while you were a baby or something?

You obviously didn't get through and hence the aggresion, so pipe down.

G-BXVK

Apologies to everyone for the abusive language but when anyone questions my desire i get upset!

The Phantom Viffer
18th Apr 2005, 09:31
We're you born a **** or did you take a degree in it?

Actually, I was born a Libran... Unfortunate I know but it can't be helped.

Why the **** do you need to be so arrogant, aggresive, and downright rude.

With that tone of voice I could be asking you the same question, but I'll refrain.

I'm simply asking for some advice on how others approached the questions.

Fair enough, however I think you'll find that what you actually said was,

If anyone could PM me some or their suggestions or answers

What were you going to do with the answers? :confused:

i don't want to spoil the only chance i'll have of getting through because i have that DESIRE and don't want to be dissapointed!!

I apologise profusely for questioning your desire, however, perhaps you could harness your desire somewhat better and actually think up answers for yourself. To be honest (and I see from the post following mine that I am not alone in thinking this), if you find the initial 4 questions tough then you won't know what hit you if you do get on the course. Heaven forbid, you might have to think for yourself!!

PPRUNE is generally a friendly place to post but there are some tossers like you that spoil it.

...and 'm sure you are adding to the friendliness of the place by calling me names :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't get through and hence the aggresion, so pipe down.

Assumption is probably the worst trait in a pilot

Apologies to everyone for the abusive language but when anyone questions my desire i get upset!

Apology accepted :ok: ;)

Rollerboy
18th Apr 2005, 09:43
Interesting post Phantom I do love the banter between PPruners. One thing that is confusing me is this thread - is it a CTC Wings Cadetship thread or a CTC Wings ATP thread?

I think CTC Wings ATP posts should be placed on the CTC ATP - Ville thread not this one. That way we know what advice to give if any. I have already posted a snippet on the ATP Ville topic. Get to it CTC ATP guys and streamline the threads.

Rollerboy

Vee One...Rotate
18th Apr 2005, 11:29
I think Phantom Viffer makes a valid point, whether or not people are upset/offended by it. It is also made without using offensive language or resorting to name-calling.

Sometimes the questions on forums like this DO have an element of "Can you walk me through exactly what I should say/do at each stage please?". Not all of them of course, and maybe G-BXVK didn't mean this as much as it came across.

I think people get slightly irked at questions like this because, as everyone knows, this pilot malarky, especially sponsorship, is bloody hard work and it comes out when, on occasion, prospective applicants ask questions like what to wear for interview, what they should say when asked why they want to fly, etc.

My 2p of advice? Have confidence in your own abilities and be honest with your answers - they'll spot you a nautical mile off if you're not genuine. Don't be a wannabe clone.

Rollerboy,

This was set up as as a Wings thread but, like you say, the odd ATP slant pops up. It must be confusing sometimes for posters. I second the motion to use the right thread after a quick check!

Good luck people (as long as I'm not the competition ;) ),

OnRoute
18th Apr 2005, 12:29
Is it worth to apply for CTC Wings if one is from abroad and not a native english speaker? The travel costs from here to test center would be some £250 so the total sum for applying would be at least some £400+acom.

MonarchA330
18th Apr 2005, 17:35
On route,
The Wings cadet website cites the follwing as requirements for aplication...

• You must be able to prove your unrestricted legal right to live and work in the EU

• You must have passed a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, to include Maths, English and a Science

• You must have 2 A Levels at grade C or above - or an Honours Degree, minimum level 2:2. (Equivalent qualifications will be considered)

• You must be fluent in written and spoken English

Being froim abroad, I guess they will over look the GCSE in English so long as you can prove that you are fluent in writen and spoken English.

M330

purplemonkeyz
2nd May 2005, 20:59
Hi there

Can anyone provide further info about stage 3 selection?

Format of the day?
Interview format and questions?
Pass Rates?

Thanks in advance...

boeingboeingbong
3rd May 2005, 13:21
Hello to all,

I am writing for some advice regarding the CTC Wings selection tests.

I was hoping that someone out there who has passed could offer some advice on how to pass the multi tasking test - the one that involves centreing the lines as well as identfying shapes and listening to a numerical count.

To me, this test was too difficult when I attempted first time round.

Is it best to concentrate on the hand eye part or the shapes aspect? Or do you try and do a little bit of everything?

If anyone has any advice or tis on what they are looking for with this one I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks guys and girls!

purplemonkeyz
3rd May 2005, 17:20
boeingboeingbong

I don't think there is a correct method to try and beat the test, i think it uses quite sophisticated methods to work out how well you are doing.

It really isnt too difficult when it's broken down into parts, but it becomes an overload when combined.

I found the counting part the most difficult (purely because i wasnt 100% sure on what exactly was going on), and the shapes the easier part.

If you find a particular section easier focus on that and the centering, always keep a look out for the other part your supposed to be watching.

Try and ignore the hits and misses as it really doesn't help looking how your doing!!!

I think it really is a test of your mental capacity and concentration levels, i think that you can either do it to the required standard or you can't... you should find it a little easier next time round knowing what's coming though!

Finally keep on going no matter how bad you think your doing as everyone finds it extremely challenging, you really won't be doing as bad as you think you are.

All the best, let me know how it goes

jb5000
5th May 2005, 10:43
Hi all,

Just found out that I didn't get through stage 3 :(

I really hate this feeling that yesterday I seemed so so close and now I am back at square one!

Geeze you guys (and gals) weren't kidding, this industry is a real real hard nut to crack.

Good luck to the rest of you still in the application process!

Vee One...Rotate
5th May 2005, 11:06
Oh, and I was arrested but never charged for throwing eggs at a friends car a few years back

Along with anyone whose ever been a student :D

I've heard stories of these background checks coming to pretty silly conclusions before - like throwing an egg at a mate's car years ago makes you pre-disposed to blowing things up or something :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your dissappointment - CTC's selction sounds really tough. Well done for getting invited to Stage 3 anyway. Keep up the hard work and best of luck.

PPRuNeUser0162
5th May 2005, 12:58
jb5000,

I sympathise completely. I found out I didn't make the cut at Stage 3 a few weeks ago and was completely gutted as I thought the day went really well. But c'est la vie, there's nothing I can do to change their minds.

Just keep going mate, there's other ways in :)

BB

Gillespie
5th May 2005, 14:33
Hey Guys,

I'm afraid I've become just another number.....second attempt got to phase 4. I got so close to going I could almost smell New Zealand. Then they said no.

The unfortunate and annoying thing is, I was chopped for being someone I'm not. In both stages 3 and 4 I came across as dominant and a little over eager.

This is totally unlike me, I'm not confrontational at all but I wanted to get onto this scheme SO badly that my determination turned around and bit me on the a*se, and made me seem overpowering.

I've had many, many knock backs from sponsorships in my time. After each one it just makes me even more determined to achieve my life time ambition and prove these assessors wrong.

I will become a Commercial Pilot, and I will make my future employer proud in their investment in me.

Chin up to all you guys and girls who have shared the same predicament. Like Britboy says, this isn't the only way in.

Moffman
6th May 2005, 12:48
Hello all...

just wondering if there is anyone here who attended stage 3 selection on the 4th of may??I have just found out that ive made it through to stage 4 on the 12th..and im hoping ill be seeing some of you others from stage 3 there aswell..i was andy from the red group by the way!!

Gillesspie...really sorry to here about your stage 4 result..must be so gutting finding out when you have got so far..and im hoping i wont be another casualty...any info on the sim format would be most grateful...if ofcourse you dont mind sharing..it would be of great help not just to me but to all the readers!!

Cheers

Moffman

jb5000
6th May 2005, 13:23
Hey Andy,

It's James here, we were chatting at the end just after you came out of your interview.

Unfortunately I didn't get through :( , my interview technique is really really bad!

Best of luck with the sim, I'm sure you'll do great! For me its off to Oxford if I can get the cash together (a big IF)!

Looks like the cup holder was the way forwards after all!

All the best,

James

Moffman
8th May 2005, 12:59
hey james

sorry to hear about the result...oxford is a great option so good luck with it all!!Im hoping there is gonna be a few\ of us from last week there on thurs...as you know the crew room is a very lonely place if you are not flying!!

regards

Taiguin
9th May 2005, 18:52
Hey Guys,

Anybody off to Stage 2 on 17th May? I'm staying at Grosvenor Lodge on Monday night so i'm not to tired on Tuesday. Anybody else staying there?

Taiguin aka Ian

Aviator12345
11th May 2005, 15:47
I'm staying at the Druid house hotel on the 16th May as this was the only availibility. So we can meet up somewhere that evening and have a chat.

supercruise593
14th May 2005, 21:35
Hey, to anybody who has recently successfully progressed through selection then congratulations & good luck for all the future training.

I'm still working my way through! Having passed Stage 2, I'm now at the same point as some other guys on this string; I'm searching for info on Stage 3 (& Stage 4 with a view to reaching this point).

I've done a lot of prep for the interview & feel confident about this. However, I'd be keen to learn:

- Typically how long the interviews last?
- Who are they with? (I currently believe it to be with a Pilot & a senior company figure).
- Do they focus on each area of questioning prior to moving onto the next or do they move back & forth?

With regard to the group exercises:

- Was it 2 group exercises that you participated in?
- Typically what is the size of the groups?
- Is there any written aspect to this?
- Do the problems set, simply differ in nature or does the team functionality change? ie. Do the teams naturally evolve during the exercises? Are there appointed roles like 'leader' etc?
- Debriefs? Is this just in the form of inclusive group discussion or is there clear direction/questioning from the assessors at this point?

If anyone can help with any of these points or are able to surrender any other related info or specific tips then that'd be great! Please contact me anyway you like.

To others who are trying to learn more about the latter stages, good luck for the rest of selection & I'll be sure to pass on anything I can learn. :ok:

trainee99
26th May 2005, 18:56
To my mind any relevant information was given in the Phase 3 brief email and whoever gave your initial brief at phase 2. I.e. there's very little that you can do to prepare for the group leadership tests - this is true. In my opinion whatever anyone says here will not really give you any kind of a step up for the exercises. There's no right or wrong answer and it's down to your personality on the day to sort out what the best thing to do is - and any attempt at preparation would probably be couteractive; you'd just end up preparing yourself for what you think they want to see. However, don't leave yourself regretting your interview performance: 'simply telling us that you have an interest in flying is not enough, demonstrate it by having a good understanding of the industry that you wish to get into' - so make sure you know as much that is going on in the industry as possible. The rest, in my opinion is common sense - you can deduce from the phase 1 questions what attributes are being sought (if you didn't already know from the countless careers websites that no doubt you will have looked at in the run up to applying) so have an answer for the obvious questions arising from this. I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that this is probably good advice for industry-wide applications. It's all about taking a common sense approach to preparation, listening to CTC's relevant advice and then relying on your own nouse for the final bit. And if you can't do that, then there's no real point in applying. I wish anyone going for the wings scheme good luck - it really is worth it..

FatboyTim
27th May 2005, 04:19
Just to kinda emulate what trainee99 said, its true there isnt a right or wrong answer criteria for the interview, you would have proven from stages 1 and 2 that you have the maturity, qualifications, level of education and aptitude required to succeed as a Pilot on such a high calibre course.

One thing I would stress is BE YOURSELF. I was constantly asking myself before the interview 'what would they want to hear' which ultimately is the wrong thing to do, if you're not yourself in the interview and get in as a result of pretending to be someone youre not, would that be a good thing in the long run? For me the selection process enabled CTC to gain a clear understanding of who I am and what I can do, but likewise, the thing alot of the applicants forget is that the selection process is a chance for YOU to assess the career of a Pilot and decide whether or not it would live up to your expectations and whether or not you have what it takes. I can only presume that if one didnt have what it took to become a Pilot, would it not be better to find out in the early stages before getting out to NZ and struggling either with the course itself, leadership qualities or social aspects of being on the course?

Try and take something from the selection process yourself, use it as a factor that could either underline your decision to become a Pilot or change your perspective of it.

With that in mind I went into Phase III and basically said 'this is me, this is what I do, this is what I have done, this is what I like doing, this is what I dont like doing, these are my faults and these are my strengths, take it or leave it' (obviously not in an arrogant way though!) I mentioned not going to University, getting into debt on my credit card when I was younger, I mentioned how I felt I could have done better on certain aspects of the previous sections of the selection process and I mentioned a few other aspects of my past and personality I would consider slightly disappointing.

having said that I would also like to say that I did mention lots of my achievements strong points and qualities, I found having a history in the ATC helped as that gave a good basis for discussion concerning my leadership abilities.

I'm not saying go in there and diss yourself or anything, nor am I trying to give some 'secret method' to passing Phase 3, as I said earlier there is no particular rules regarding passing at this stage, it is merely a general picture of the applicant and their suitability.

As I mentioned, I was brutally honest with the interviewers, and in my mind, at certain parts of the interview I was overly honest and wondered if things I had said would have a negative outcome from phase 3, but it became apparent that my honesty was respected and I passed this difficult stage.

None of this stuff I am saying is revealing any secrets or anything guys and girls, it is mentioned at phase 2 that being yourself is in itself a key quality. Be proud of your achievements and quite frankly brag about them, but let the interviewers see the real 'you', that will benefit both CTC and yourself in any decisions made from that point on.

Good luck with applying, hope to see some of you out here soon! :ok:

AMiller
28th May 2005, 11:20
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me the purpose of stage 4? As in what is the chop rate and for what reasons are people chopped at this stage?

Thanks all,

Andy

Wing_Bound_Vortex
30th May 2005, 15:02
Just as a guess, stage 4 is to test your ability to understand and apply instruction, and to show your ability to improve with practice.

They adjust the type of flying you do in the sim to reflect your prior experience and how well you're coping at the time. Dunno if they've changed the fundamentals of the process as it's been a while since i did it, but i had a visual departure, into imc at 500 ft, sequence of climbing/descending turns onto nominated headings, a basic configuration change by dropping gear and flaps, then radar vectored to the ils to fly the app, broke cloud at 600 ft and a low level circuit to land.

Thrown in were a few basic maths questions and things like recalling dates i'd previously said, like my brother's birthday etc whilst under the flying pressure. It's all to see how you cope with multi-tasking.

The way i did it was usually to say stand by, finish the flying segment and then when s+l tell them the answer! And i still scraped through! dunno how...........:}

Don't worry about chop rates, is it gonna help your flying?? No. Concentrate on flying smoothly and working to improve the tolerances that you fly within. You get a couple of goes at the profiles so that's your chance to make improvements. That's what they'll be looking for.

Above all, and i know how easy it is for me to say this with hindsight, but enjoy it! It's a good laugh, with excellent instructors. Have some fun :ok:

WBV

Antilles
1st Jun 2005, 02:16
I agree with WBV, Stage 4 is an assessment of your ability to analyse your own performance as well as an opportunity to demonstrate flying aptitude. My experience was virtually identical to WBV's with similar tasks and questions in the 737 sim.

I was having so much fun, I forgot I was being assessed. When I was congratulated on passing the final stage it came as a bit of a shock because I'd forgotten that's what I was there for! The chop rate is low (compared to other stages), they have a good idea that you've got the right stuff by this point. Don't let yourself down and relax too much, but don't worry about it either. Enjoy the 73's left hand seat, it'll be a while 'til you get another chance to sit in it!

MonarchA330
1st Jun 2005, 08:53
73!? I got the Kingair!

FatboyTim
3rd Jun 2005, 02:55
Yeah, dont relax too much, when I took phase 4 I had that attitude of 'hey I have just seen a large group of 20 people at phase 2 peel away to 2 people including me, I rule!'

The day after phase 3 I wandered into the Kingair and failed miserably, probably due to my own naive arrogance! I eventually saw it as a good opportunity to get myself into the right frame of mind and resat it with a heightened respect for phase 4.

At the end of the day it is still an assessment, and although it is fun, its probably not best to look at it as some sort of reward for passing 1, 2 and 3. You can still fail, believe me.

Not trying to be negative, as I understand it and as has already been mentioned, the chop rate is low at 4, the right attitude and the right frame of mind is essential for this stage, as it has been for the previous stages and it should still be treated with the same respect.

On a lighter note, one advantage to failing phase 4 first time was that I got to play with both the Kingair AND the 737!! HA!!

Anyway good luck all!

richp999
3rd Jun 2005, 13:54
Hi all,

Got a phase 2 day on 14/06 just wondering if anyone else here was going ?

Also, does anyone know of the numbers invited vs numbers passing to stage 3 ?

Thanks,

Rich.

Blinkz
5th Jun 2005, 18:15
Anyone got stage two on tuesday? 7/6? I'll be down and am staying in a local hotel.

Blinkz
8th Jun 2005, 10:18
woohoo! Passed stage 2 yesterday, I don't know if any of the guys (and gal!) that were there read pprune, but if you do then I hope you did well too.

Stage 3 is on 6th July so I've got abit of time to prepare! Any advice?

Gillespie
8th Jun 2005, 16:05
You've got 15 pages of advice here mate, pretty much everything has been covered. just be yourself I can not clarify that enough.

Well done on getting through.

Blinkz
9th Jun 2005, 11:51
Cheers, do you get feedback from stage 2 even if you pass it?

McJiz
9th Jun 2005, 12:34
Yes, you do get feedback from stage 2 no matter what your result.

davedek
9th Jun 2005, 14:43
I'm new to this forum, it was recommended to me by a pilot I spoke with at an airshow.

Im 17 and thinking of applying to the CTC Wings Cadet scheme once I have finished my A-levels, (currently taking the final exams), I know i cannot apply until I am 18 (August).

My question is - if (and yes i know it is a huge IF) I am successful in all stages of application, can anyone give me an approximation of how long it would be from initial application at stage 1, to succesfully being picked and going to New Zealand?

I know it may sound as if I am being very presumptuous asking this question, but please dont think im saying 'I know im going to pass, how long will it take?'.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MonarchA330
9th Jun 2005, 15:10
Davedek,

From my experience, it will take a few months from intitla aplication to start date. Depends on how quickly they process the aplications and how soon you can come for the assessments.

M330

FatboyTim
10th Jun 2005, 07:27
Length of time varies upon alot of factors but I believe it is common to get a reply from filling in Phase 1 questions within a month with an invite to phase 2 if successful, it is then usually about another month unitl phase 3 and phase 4 for me was the following day, I believe this is fairly common. From then, if you get offered a place, it is dependant upon your situation regarding finishing work, getting your class 1 medical etc etc.

Just to illustrate this was how it went for me...

Jan 04 applied phase 1
Feb 04 attended phase 2
March attended phase 3, then phase 4 the following day.

However I failed phase 4 but got invited back to resit after 6 months. Eventually in december I resat phase 4 and passed, but it took alot of messing about to get a medical at xmas then I had to work a month notice at work so I didnt end up leaving the UK until early march 2005

so all in all for me, 14 months, minus my 9 month delay comes to 5 months, and thats not seen as particularly speedy. I think if you really nailed it you could get it down to 3 months. But again it depends on alot of factors.

Antilles
10th Jun 2005, 08:31
Selection happened a bit quicker for me, I got through in 40 days from stage 1 through to passing stage 4. I booked my class 1 the day I passed stage 4, passed it a month later. Faxed my certificate through that day and flew out to NZ 2.5 months after that.

I'm sure it varies depending on a lot of factors, but it all seemed pretty speedy!

davedek
10th Jun 2005, 11:35
Thanks a lot for the feedback, very much appreciated.

MonarchA330
15th Jun 2005, 16:10
Heya, anyone starting NZ in August time? If so, let me know.
Thanks
M330

FatboyTim
16th Jun 2005, 04:36
hey Antilles

who r u by the way? From your posts I presume you are out here in NZ, which must mean you and I live in the same building, and I probably know you, but I cant work out who u r!

If you dont wanna tell me over the web, just gimme your initials or CP or room number or something, it will just cure my sense of curiosity!

I am guessing that from my name and waist size, you can work out who I am!

Brasher
16th Jun 2005, 05:10
Guess who I am Fatboy!

busz
16th Jun 2005, 08:48
Its a CTC reunion!

Addy
16th Jun 2005, 09:31
I was actually thinking of applying, but just want to know something about the costs. How much would this thing cost me, and let's say you pass everything first time?

Brasher
16th Jun 2005, 09:44
Read the CTC website. It's fairly comprehensive. There are one or two pages of advice here. Please read them before posting questions.

Vee One...Rotate
16th Jun 2005, 16:04
Addy,

All the financial details are on the company's website.

V1R

P.S. From your profile, I think you might be on the wrong thread. This one is geared towards CTC's ab-initio CADET scheme - a scheme for those with little (OK, maybe a PPL) or no flying experience on application. I understand there is a seperate scheme for those with a fATPL.

dream to reality
27th Jun 2005, 09:42
hey guys,

anyone attending phase 2 of CTC wings scheme this coming 12/07/2005?

:D

L_Loader
28th Jun 2005, 08:03
It depends on whether you mean phase 2 for someone who is joining the wings program at the AQC or for someone who is in for the whole deal? :-)

daveyp
28th Jun 2005, 14:18
Hi I am quite new to this website so don't know a great deal about it. I was wondering how likely it is that you get a job at the end of the CTC scheme?
Is it guaranteed?

supercruise593
29th Jun 2005, 20:32
daveyp,

Unfortunately, a training scheme where a place with an airline is guaranteed at the end of it does not exist and never has done. :( Even in the days of the BA Sponsored Pilot Training Scheme (where at least you didn’t have to make any advanced financial contribution to your training) you would only be offered a place subject to meeting required standards and the business need at the time.

However, the CTC Wings Programme in my view gives you the highest-if not as high a-chance of airline placement than any other scheme that I’m aware of in Europe. (I hear that Air France still run a sponsored training programme, although I don’t have any details and I’d guess fluency in French would be a basic requirement). I better declare that I have recently successfully completed the selection process for the Wings Programme, so I don’t want to sound biased :D . I will however justify myself with the following key point. The Wings Programme has placed 100% of cadets who have successfully completed the training course.

How do they achieve this?

1) The course has been tailored in consultation with the partner airlines. E.g. you aren’t just trained to basic JAA requirements but as airline pilots and team players right from the start.
2) The selection process is challenging and ensures that the right candidates get through. I.e. you have to work to join them, they are not working to get you to join them (as is with most flight schools… $$). The airlines recognise this and it supports the high rate of success on the programme.
3) The course is fully integrated (you can theoretically start with no experience) and gives you line orientated experience on type (most other courses to not integrate type experience).
4) The course provides you with 30% more than the minimum JAA flight training requirements. (Including 50% more on multi-engine).
5) The ground school record is excellent. They currently average at a 99% first time pass rate with average marks of 91%.
6) The very fact that the partner airlines are receiving Wings cadets who are both highly motivated and highly trained, can only be signalling to them and others that this scheme is highly successful. It’s obvious what their reaction to this will be!
7) The course is a partnership between the airlines, CTC, its instructors and the cadets. It’s not a school that say... gets you your licences and will see if it can find you/help you to get a place with ‘an’ airline.
8) At the moment, airlines are demanding as much if not more than what can be supplied in terms of pilots being trained in this way.

I could list more reasons but I’ve rabbited on for ages already. I would also add that another important reason that attracted me to the course was the innovative way in which it is financed (as I’m not that wealthy!). However, even if you have the circumstance whereby you can fund the training without the assistance of a bank, CTC is still the best place to start!

I’ve added a couple of links that you might find useful (if you haven’t picked them up already).

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/040204.html

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/0404.html

http://www.ctcaviation.com/0103.html (read the .pdf doc by Steve Billet, he might be an executive director of the company but in my view it sums up all the issues surrounding the culture of pilot training; past, present and future).

I’d also suggest that you have a read of this thread and others. There is a fair whack of misinformation and general chat but you’ll find some useful stuff as well. You’ll know what’s what.

Good luck and all the best. :ok:

SC593

speedy688
29th Jun 2005, 21:12
The Wings Programme has placed 100% of cadets who have successfully completed the training course.

Not quite! 3 cadets out of the first 6 courses have been returned to CTC by easyjet, having completed their training with CTC. Quite a few more cadets are on thin ice - currently being taken off line & given extra sim time at easyjets expense (they only give so much rope before hanging).

HAHA
30th Jun 2005, 09:12
supercruise593,

It sounds like your post came straight from CTC's stage 2 presentation. Unfortunately it isn't quite as perfect as they make out.

H

supercruise593
30th Jun 2005, 09:27
I hear what you're saying guys and Speedy, you sound like you have an inside track on this. HAHA, I can barley remember Stage 2, it was so long ago.. Nothing's perfect mate.. I am trying to justify what I'm saying though..

When you say these guys have 'completed their training with CTC', do you mean that they have completed the 'Advanced' section of the course having spent 6 months training on the line with their future provisional airline and are already under contract?:confused: Or that they have been turned down for employment by that airline at the point when they're ready to sign and so have not been placed and have no prospect of being placed with another airline by CTC?:confused: So, have these cadets 'successfully completed the course' yet?

The standards have to be met at the end of the day. If they aren't met then that's either down to the cadet or that the training needs to develop with them a bit further.

Reverting back to daveyp's original question, I'd say the best chance of placement is with CTC and I'm sure that when these 'relatively few' guys you’re referring to and the company have taken necessary steps so that they do 'successfully' complete, then they’d have the usual high chance of getting placed. :O

daveyp
30th Jun 2005, 11:23
Thanks a lot supercruise.

It seems to me then if you get on the CTC scheme and you pass it with pretty decent marks then the airlines will look favourably at your CV and it is more than likely that you will get a job.

Thanks for the other posts guys just wanted to make sure i knew a bit about the job prospects before I dedicate myself to applying to the CTC scheme and spending £60,000 or whatever it is on the training.

Blinkz
30th Jun 2005, 15:30
anyone going to stage 3 next wednesday 6th July? If so PM me, would be good to chat before hand.

milesaway
30th Jun 2005, 23:26
Dream to reality

I am going to stage 2 on the 12/07/05 :D

Found out this evening... better get cracking with the old revision:yuk: Not what I want to do after months of revis for finals, but at least this will be something that I can actually be truly motivated for!

What are your plans for accomodation? I see you are from the same parts as me, where abouts in Surrey?

Miles

dream to reality
3rd Jul 2005, 17:27
Milesaway,

Hey, at last, found someone whos gonna be there:D

I'm from Ashtead, I am at Surrey Uni (Guildford) now,

I already booked my hotel: Avon Causeway, apparantly its only 3
miles away, I will go there on the 11th and get a taxi in the morning!

How about you?

geezajob
4th Jul 2005, 00:57
Milesaway and Dream to reality

I'm coming for Phase 2 on 12/07 aswell. Down from Edinburgh though so a bit further away than you guys!

Coming down the 11th, not booked a hotel yet but the Avon Causeway sounds like a good bet.

DTR sent you a PM before reading on so sorry for repeating myself.

See you there, happy studying!

dream to reality
4th Jul 2005, 11:08
Milesaway and Geezajob,

If you decide to come to Avan Causeway Hotel as well, let me know, it would be nice to get to know each other before we actually get there.:O

Good luck.

milesaway
4th Jul 2005, 11:09
DTR im also at surrey uni - or rather i have just graduated...:ok:

Im thinking of driving down in the morning is that a bad idea :ugh: am i right in thinking it starts at 10?

i think ill have a look at avon causeway as well!

dream to reality
4th Jul 2005, 12:22
Milesaway,

yeah, it does start at 10.Its up to you, but I know I wouldnt drive!!! unless youre gonna leave really early!! All you need to come across is one traffic jam (specially in the morning) and you can kiss your 164 quid or more importantly your chance goodbye!lol!

Nice to hear you finally finished uni, Im still at Surrey:{ im doing a masters course and it finishes at the end of Sep!!

let me know what you do.

sachin_21
7th Jul 2005, 00:52
milesaway, dream to reality and geezajob check ur PM's

Sach.

jpascuas
8th Jul 2005, 09:56
Hi,

Anyone attending stage 2 of CTC Wings scheme on 26th of July?

I'm from Spain and I'm really afraid about my English, as it's not so good... :ugh: I imagine the Group Discussion as an Inquisition torture and the Interview as the Hell itself!! :p

Is there anybody here who met foreigners in stage 2? How did they do?
May anybody tell me what questions I must expect to find in both Group Discussion and especially in the interview?

Does anybody here offers to give me some English lessons? (just a joke) :)

Thanks in advance!!

dream to reality
8th Jul 2005, 15:07
Jpascuas,

If your spoken English is anything like your written English, then I think you dont have anything to worry about!!

I imagine the Group Discussion as an Inquisition torture

Well being spanish that shouldnt be a problem! (Joke):)

About information, there are 16 very good pages here, read them, they're really helpful.

Good luck.:ok:

jpascuas
8th Jul 2005, 16:57
Thanks dream,

I think when I am in front of the guys doing the interview and they start asking to me, I'll prefer to be in Spain in 15th century with an Inquisition abbot... Anyway I'll do my best! :ok:

I read all pages in this thread and they're really helpful as you said. But there's a question maid by Mr.Fly which represent my main concern with stage 2:

"Do they fail anybody at Stages 1a/1b, or they just let everyone to Stage 2 to get some money?"

Someone gave an answer but it was given by pm.

What do you guys think about it? Everybody reaches stage 2?

Regards!

MBA
10th Jul 2005, 05:15
You will find out when you turn up for stage 2 and are given the overview of the scheme and how it runs that many dont get passed stage 1 (application). So no matter what happens be proud that you manged to get to stage 2. You have obviously done something right over the past few years.

Secondly dont worry to much about your english - of course it needs to be at a good standard and as previously stated if you talk as good as you write you should be fine.

Dont feel you are going to get a grilling in the interview the people that do the interviews are very nice indeed and will put you at ease, they are very sincere and look to pass people not to fail them. If you read this forum you should do fine - think of the interview as something to be enjoyed as you have the opportunity to show someone how good you are and the knowledge that you already have - you dont get that opportunity very often!!

Best of luck.

MBA.

jpascuas
10th Jul 2005, 15:21
I'm very happy to hear that about passing to stage 2. I'm going to spend some euros in going to Bournemouth and it's really nice to know what I've done until know has been appreciated by the selection guys!

Again, if there is anybody for 26th July stage 2, please let me know. For the moment have booked in Heathlands Hotel, in Bournemouth as the address I was given from CTC is:

"CTC Crew Training Centre Discovery Centre, Eastern Business Park, Bournemouth International Airport, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 6DD"

Javier.

geezajob
10th Jul 2005, 16:53
Ahoy ahoy!

last call for anyone going to phase 2 on 12/07.

Theres already a few of us meeting up. The more the merrier! especially with the group discussion first thing. This is going to brief as theres something wrong with my internet and its getting on my tits! Give me or DTR or sach a pm and we'll meet up.

see you on monday folks!

jamojdm
10th Jul 2005, 23:35
Hey all

I know I asked this before, but I'm still unsure about it and as I've now graduated uni and finished PPL I'm ready to finally submit my application.

The 2 references they want on the application, it states someone not friend or relative you have known for 5 years. Now the only people I've known 5 years are friends, relatives and next door neighbours.

Who do I put down on the application to be a reference :confused:

I know someone said put down your doctor, now I haven’t seen my doctor in years, so I don’t feel that is appropriate

Please help

Jamo

neil209
10th Jul 2005, 23:47
Hello to everyone, and thanks to everyone for such an informative forum. Had to pull out of my first stage 2 in feb due to University commitments but now I've just graduated and Im planning to book the next stage 2 day that comes up after the current (26th i think) date. Just wondered if anyone else is planning to do the same and/or is about to book their stage 2.

Just a quick question as well, I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect but if the day runs from 10 till 4 then what takes up all the time? Im guessing an hour for lunch and an hour for the presentation so that leaves 4 hours of tests and the group discussion? Also is the lunch 'assessed' or is it a genuine relaxed and informal break? Thanks very much, look forward to meeting some of you.

neil