PDA

View Full Version : Tatoo

pilot55
15th Sep 2004, 18:45
Hi all ,

I have a simle question!

Doing a permament tatoo?

Pros and cons , in the serious world of comercial aviation?

Would it be a limiting factor?

Bealzebub
15th Sep 2004, 23:24
If it is on your ass, or somewhere likely to be equally invisible to the world at large then who cares. If it is on your face this will be a definate advantage..............to most of the other wannabees at the interviews.

Wino
15th Sep 2004, 23:57
Also, some airlines require you to take a physical with their doctors where it will be noted in their files and then the decision board will know about it. One guy who objects to what he thinks it says about your character and you are sunk...Why take the risk?

Cheers
Wino

Milt
16th Sep 2004, 06:59
Tats

If you are on the outside don't they indicate that you have spent time?

er82
16th Sep 2004, 08:17
Do a search on this. There was a huge thread on it a while back. All the old school boys will say no, some of the younger crowd will say be careful where you have it. It all comes down to personal opinion. If you relly want one, why not wait till you have a job and then get one!
And no, tattoos do not indicate that you have spent time inside!

richiya
16th Sep 2004, 09:15
Milt,
Is the world flat? Are there dragons and monsters in the sea? You must be at least 80 years old..... open your eyes and look around you, you would be amazed at how many people have tattos,
Richiya

scroggs
16th Sep 2004, 11:33
This is a conservative profession. If you want to join it, you need to adopt its customs and principles. Wearing tattoos isn't forbidden (at least not in my airline), but having them visible when in uniform would not be tolerated.

If you want the job, the answer is fairly simple. Don't get one until your already emplyed as a pilot, and never have one that's visible when normally dressed. As an aside, tattoos are an instrument of fashion. Once they are unfashionable again (and they will be), you can't get rid of them so easily - so be very sure you want it....

Funnily enough, there is less prejudice against women having (discreet) tattoos then there is against men.

Scroggs

AirTrooper
16th Sep 2004, 11:36
I know a pilot who has tatoos and has changed 5 companies and he had no problems. Maybe the important thing is not to get it too much visible. On your back or somewhere's not too visible should work i think. Ask some companies to be sure!

747 Downwind
16th Sep 2004, 16:07
Where do you guys think of these questions.. you got too much time on your hands, mind you so have I but that's besides the point!:O

Interesting point though pilot 55, fanastic response Bealzebub I like your style.

I think Scroggs has raised a good point, I do have a retched tattoo I'll admit, but it is not visible unless I was to wear one of those gay looking vests.. can't see BA bringing em out as part of their contemporary uniform in a 'post-modern utopian' society whatever that's suppose to mean.

However, I strategically had mine placed at the tender age of 18, aware of the dreaded 'short-sleaved' airline shirt, whilst most of my contemporaries were getting British Bulldog/English flags/football firms and other such tattoos on their forearms.. hmm go down like a lead balloon in some institutions.

Fair point about gendered tattoos Scroggs, it appears a female tattoo, as long as small and not too uncouth, is perceived as 'sweet and fashionable', whereas a blok's tattoo (except for Beckham's which comes under something! and fashionable) is perceived as vulgarian, and intrinsic to thuggery and the iron age brut!:E

Anyway, conclusions.. want a tattoo, get one, NOT of a bird's name.. she'll only cheat on you with your best mate AND probably your sister:oh: :{ .

Make it discrete to the operational world (back, upper arm, legs.. or an area that your partner gets exclusive rights to!)

Don't ask the company to be sure, you never know these days, competition is fierce as it is, you MAY be shooting yourself in the foot.

What tattoo were you thinking of getting Pilot55? :cool:

bound_for_dubai
16th Sep 2004, 16:17
Unless you have a logo of the company tattooed in a non visible area, you may get away. Other than that it doesn't look professional to have a big visible dragon on your arm.

R T Jones
16th Sep 2004, 19:57
Is there also the same for having your ears pierced, I currently have the top and bottom of my ears done. Of course they are easy to get rid of and i have no problem taking them out in 2 years time.

Kirks gusset
16th Sep 2004, 21:56
Considering a lot of DOFO's are ex RAF and CFS, where tatoos were only seen on the " ratings" or prostitutes arses, then the wisdom of having one done must be questioned.

What about "left" and "right" on your hands or feet!

:ok:

pilot55
16th Sep 2004, 21:58
To understand this you have to hear my story.

22 years young and just finished PPL.Been flying gliders and UL too.Working up towards CPL and hoping to get a job in a big metal tube someday.But not right away.My plan is to become a CFI.I'm really passionate about that.Not for building time , but to really teach someone and feel the satisfaction of your result. So I'm not a wildcard.I am very disciplined and informed.But if aviation has thought me anything so far is that every problem must be rewived carefully and from multiple points of view.

So I have decided that I want a tattoo.That was in July.And I said to my self that I will sit on that for precisely ONE year , before I make a final judgement.And during the course of those 12 months I will think very hard about the most important thing to me , mu future , and will that decision endanger it in any way.I will review every aspect of the problem.

So my first step was to ask you wise people , as established professionals what are your views on the subject.

Bealzebub

Pop quiz hotshot.
You , sitting in a chair.In front of you a hiring department of your favorite airline.They say :''As you can see sir , out of these 5 people sitting here the 2 of us are pilots''. You see that for your self because they have their uniforms.But one is younger (early 30's) and the other one is older(later 40's).The distinction is crustal clear.And they say that only one of them is a member of the board that decides on hiring.The other one is also a company pilot , but is just sitting there with no purpose at all.You say fine.They ask you one-hour worth of questions.
When it's all over they ask :''Oh , by the way , what are your feelings on tattoo's?"
What do you do?

Never sell your self short.Integrity is standing up for what you belive in no matter what.
Now , what do you choose? Integrity or saying what a hiring department want's to hear?
You are an excellent pilot.That can't be changed.
But what kind of a person you are?That can be adapted.By others.
And that's bad.

scroggs

''This is a conservative profession.''

I respect that entirely.That is way I am giving it so much thought.Out of genuine respect.

''so be very sure you want it....''

Exactly!
The answer to this question is one of the most complicated answers there are.
No win situation.
We all agree on that.
But.
The thing is , 99% of people here are outstanding pilots.They can make a decision under pressure , danger and sheer speed of things.
But what about this one?

AirTrooper

''Ask some companies to be sure!''

Offcourse.That is my next step.But as 747Downwind said , they may not be very helpfull.

747 Downwind

''What tattoo were you thinking of getting Pilot55?''

I have a few ideas , but like I said , I will think them through for an entire year.
Then I will be absolutely sure.
It will have something to do with aviation , and it will be a testament to my life long dream and my way of life.
It will be there because I need it there.Not to look cool , but to be there.
And it will never go out of fashion , because it will be there with a purpose.It may not be easily understood.
It will be as complicated , as simple , as confusing , as romantic , as spectacular
as aviation is for me.
And it will always be there.Not because someone says it is good , or bad.
But because I am sure of myself , in the things I do , and in the things I love.
And if I second-guess them , I am not a person , but a social creature that is formed with the help of things that are expected.
If I alter my attitude , in order to look good in an job interview , can I be trusted to make a critical , life-death decision in real life?

Thank you all for contributing.You have said what you feel about the subject , and you have been honest.That is very appreciated.
Feel free to say I am wrong , or a bloody idiot for talking about it!
Anything you want! But just say it.
I'm not here to judge , but to learn.
:cool:

v12merlin
17th Sep 2004, 16:23
Ummm, all I can say pilot55 is wait a few years. You'll be surprised how age changes your views on these things.

Go get a crazy hair cut or a loud shirt in the meantime, it may help control the urge.

Merlin.:}

A Very Civil Pilot
17th Sep 2004, 19:00
Go for it.......

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A40726/high/jacko1.jpg

Trouble is, he'll never get a job with that goatee.

R T Jones
17th Sep 2004, 20:36
lol, i never trust people with beards :).

A Very Civil Pilot
17th Sep 2004, 21:57
RTJ

You'll be happier with this bloke then:

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A40525/thumb/beginyetreatment.jpg

R T Jones
17th Sep 2004, 22:21
nah his nose is too big :). Personally I dont want a tatoo for precisily the reason that if it all comes down to it. It doesnt look profosional. Simple as that.

Milt
18th Sep 2004, 00:39
The worst tat I have seen was a line of dashes around a teen's neck with the words "cut here" in two adjacent places.

The poor sod - he must be in his 50s now.

Bealzebub
18th Sep 2004, 01:37
"pop quiz hotshot" ?
"One is member of the board"
"One is sitting there with no purpose at all"
"They ask...oh by the way what are your feelings on tatoos "

Sorry but you lost me in the opening line. Interviews aren't like this. They are conducted by busy people looking for mature, professional individuals to undertake an exacting role within their operation.

I think you need a reality check. If you want to be a pilot and particulary employed as such by an airline then research what they are looking for. The clue is written in this post. If you want a tatoo then please yourself. If you want the employer to be impressed by your integrity or whatever by having one then expect to be disappointed.

p.savage
18th Sep 2004, 11:31
I didn't know that having a tatoo, visible or not would affect how one performed as an airline pilot!

However, I must agree that visible tatoos do look un-professional.

I have a small tatoo on my right upper shoulder of "downwind". Its less than an inch across and it can't be seen through a white shirt. I doubt it will cause problems. In fact in a recent medical the examiner thought it was done very tastefully and looks professional.

Savage