PDA

View Full Version : Number of fATPLs at the moment

Divet II
15th Sep 2004, 17:15
Does anyone have any idea how many people there are in the UK at the moment with fATPLs looking for airline work?

If not, anyone know where I might be able to find this information?

Cheers for any help,

Divet II (got an eagle today!):D

Gillespie
16th Sep 2004, 09:55
you can find the stats here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=559

It's unbelievable, however look at the contrast between the amount of fATPLs handed out to the number of CPL's then finally to the number of IR's. It confuses me

LFS
16th Sep 2004, 10:23
I think you are confusing fATPL with ATPL. There is actually no such licence as a frozen ATPL so the number of ATPL's issued is related to people completing the ATPL requirements and getting it issued. The more surprising contrast is how few IR's appear to have been issued.

0-8
16th Sep 2004, 10:41
LFS, I was thinking the same thing; why so few IR’s?

According to the CAA stats for 2003-2004* there were 866 JAR CPL(A)’s issued but only 132 went on to be issued with an IR. What happened to the remaining 734? I’m sure a percentage are currently instructing or waiting to do their IR at a later date, but 734?

Am I missing something really obvious? :confused:

*http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_LRIssues_2003_04.pdf

RVR800
16th Sep 2004, 12:09
Many people start the IR run out of money/time and give up...

The failure rates are high and the real cost is significantly above headline cost

After all there is a limit to how much MEIR time one can afford (Cost £6/minute) when one is paid only about 20 pence a minute as a flight instructor

Some may go abroad to do it - Im told the czeck republic is OK
for JAR-IRs, Ireland ??

Some wait until fATPLs are wanted in this industry they then run out of time (only 36 months) and they never get to this point...

They then go back to reality...

LFS
16th Sep 2004, 14:36
I can only guess that the IR's issued are from modular courses as if it included integrated then Oxford must produce nearly that many people on their own every year.

GusHoneybun
16th Sep 2004, 14:37
My guess is that when an old CAA CPL expires (after 10 years) and is re-issued as a JAR CPL, then this re-issue shows up as a new issue in the stats. Once the IR is issued then the CAA don't keep any stats on whether it is current or not. I would take the number of new IR's issued as a good guide to the number of newbie fATPL's being churned out every year. As a rough idea of how many are looking for work, take the number of IR's issued over the last 4 years and divide that by 2.

Divet II
16th Sep 2004, 17:02
Thanks very much for your replies people

Divet II