PDA

View Full Version : Selection test for oxford

ashleydavenport
14th Sep 2004, 17:07
Im going to oxford (OAT) on monday for selection for the app course and really worried about the aptitude tests. I cant find any past papers or example questions on the net. If anyone has been recently please let me know what to expect.

Please help........

Divet II
14th Sep 2004, 17:31
Hi ashlee

As far as I know they use the PILAPT aptitude tests, although Im not 100% sure. Unfortunately, theres not much you can do to practice for these. Apart from maybe trying to read the orientation of a figure holding a shape in each hand when it is upside down, back to front etc, and deciding what shape is in what hand. I doubt this would even help that much though!

Apart from that the tests are to do with coordination using a joystick, multi tasking and concentration. Personally, I found the concentration ones the easiest and the multitasking harder. But I wouldn't worry anyway, the best thing is to relax and imagine you're at home on your PC playing a game, and also Oxford aint gonna say bye to your cash unless you're pretty badly uncoordinated and very slow.

Good luck

Divet II

ashleydavenport
14th Sep 2004, 17:46
thanks, do you really think a school with the reputation that Oxford has, would expect an average student?

Also, how is training at oxford seen when you go for an interview?

Divet II
14th Sep 2004, 18:25
Im afraid my answer to that is definitely yes. They will take your money so try not to be fooled by anything. Obviously they won't let you on if you've not got the aptitude to have a good go, but at the same time they don't have any airlines to answer to. Quite a few can drop out if they can't cope. Passing the aptitude test only makes you feel like you're good enough to get on the course, which encourages you to hand over your money.

I haven't yet done my training, Im still considering where Im going to go, and Im also considering Oxford. A friend of mine is just finishing his course there now which is why I know a little about it. But as anyone else will tell you, they're money grabbers, however they are one of the most reputable schools around and the airlines seem to like their style.

Just make sure its you who is deciding where you're gonna train and don't let them just sell it to you, have a look at other places aswell before deciding.

Divet II

Ricky1
8th Dec 2004, 14:38
hey ashleydavenport,
Im about to do my PILAPT test next week I was wondering how you got on with your test with Oxford? What did the tests include? and how can you prepare for them?
Regards
Ricky:confused:

Cruise Alt
8th Dec 2004, 17:58
Dont worry mate.

If you go to Oxford with the cash and they turn it down because of the aptitude test I will pay for your training elsewhere myself!

Mind you if your aptitude is that bad I wouldn't risk driving home!

haughtney1
8th Dec 2004, 18:08
Ashley.........Having seen a fair bit of the product to emerge from oxford in the last 3 years..I can assure you of this.....Average is the word I would use to describe their final product. Oxford are well known throughout the world....and dont they know it, and before all you ex app...and self sponsered graduates jump down my throat.....I will make a confession...I did a bit of training there..so Ive got first hand experience. (im average too!)
Oxford..like CTC....like any other flight training organisation will be happy to part you with your money.
I am happy to concede (but not spell) that there are exceptions, however oxford just like everyone else attracts a cross section of humanity.
Enjoy your day..be yourself..and best of all, realise you have just as much potential as the next person. Dont believe the snobby half-wits who think they have a god given right to succeed on the basis of a few test scores and the size of dads bank balance......they usually end up and the back of the queue anyway!
(God I sound embittered!.......mayby spaceman is rubbing off!:E )

Pearcy
8th Dec 2004, 19:18
I am looking at OAT instead of university after my A-level course, i know that many people are not too keen as i have read about faters paying for the courses but i don't know how much money you have i can tell you now trying to get your dad to part with 50 k is no easy feet.

on the other hand i have to thank you all for talking about the reputation of the School as i am trying at this time to show the good sides of the place to show it is worth the money. i am in contact with one old member of the OAT and he is an astonishingly useful contact. If any of you have more, positive solid infomation i would be only too greatful to get in contact with you.

thanks!!

RVR800
9th Dec 2004, 08:29
In summary

What you need is lots of farters money and lots of time

Re-Heat
9th Dec 2004, 11:42
I would recommend going to the seminar day that Oxford run once a month at the school if you have not yet been especially since you are considering parting with so much money.

I went along recently and was very impressed with the setup; although I cannot comment on the actual standard of training, the automated systems that were used for flight planning etc appeared to be streets ahead of others and closer to real ops than other schools I have seen.

I too was dubious about the value of the 'selection' upon first impression - as noted above how could a commercial organisation afford to turn people away who had the money? While their claims that they do indeed turn significant numbers away cannot be substantiated, the fact that they are trying to maintain the standard of a product hoping to be first-choice school once airlines restart any sort of scheme would indicate that they would not be prepared to accept anyone. Who knows what the real 'pass' rate is however.

Healthy cycnicsm and a look at the products of the other schools are probably your most useful attributes when deciding.

My old man thought it was streets ahead of the place it was when he trained there back in the late 1960s - they didn't appear to have any time for the chaps who kept throwing more money at flying but failed to pass exams any more. This would be as there is no contract for course completion between you and the school, such that there is no commitment to get you completed at any hours necessary, giving you and them flexibility to walk away - otherwise a false impression that you will always achieve the licence despite actual ability would be created. The 737 sim was - he considered - a pretty good tool for MCC.

One other thing - I reckon the use of the 737 at Oxford for MCC vs the FNPT II at Jerez might account for some of the price difference, but that the complexity of the 737 might be more useful for MCC? Thoughts?

Pearcy - don't discount doing university followed then by ATPL as this to ensure you don't prematurely close any doors. What is your prior flying experience so far?

I would be interested if anyone with line training experience who had a kid going through APP at Oxford or indeed training at any other school could give it a more authoritative analysis than mine from their family's actual experience.

Additionally be aware that costs of accomodation are not included - that they do make clear in their cost breakdowns.

jamestkirk
9th Dec 2004, 16:25
Listen my flying friends

As stated above by a few people. Oxford will happily take your money.

If you walk in with a cheque for £x 000's and have an average ability, i doubt they will turn you down.

Don't fall into thinking that because you are going through a selection process, you are entering a dynamic school and be glad to hand over the money.

If you have an average intelligence and work hard, you'll pass the exams. Nothing more scientific than that. If anyone tells you otherwise, then they are the sort of pilots who wear ray-bans inside, or in a dimly lit pub..........w*nkers!

Although, I did my groundschool at oxford and found the ground instuctors excellent. Very professional visual aids and ultra comprehensive course notes.

I have heard, at first hand, horror stories about thier committment to your flying when the money has been handed over. Be careful

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE MONEY UP FRONT.....generally.

Bristol and Gloucester have a very good reputation for thier flight training.

SORRY, I HAVE TO GO NOW, SOMEONE HAS JUST STOLEN MY CAMEL.

Hope this helps and good luck.

concorde002
12th Dec 2004, 06:02
I'm fairly certain that Oxford use Compass for there computerised aptitude selection tests, not Pilapt as mentioned earlier.
I personally find the £250 plus accomodation charge of £30 per night quite expensive, when you consider FTE in Jerez is free at the moment.

After looking at both of the FTO's, OAT and FTE, the decison, in my opinion, of what FTO to attend is similar to splitting hairs!

You have to make a personal choice of which FTO you like and where you feel your 60K+ is going to be best spent!!

Regards

spaceman1000
12th Dec 2004, 17:53
if you want, I am runing a selection begining next year.
Our pilots will be sent to the USA for a JAR training, then back in Europe for a type rating.

PM me if interested.

flystudent
13th Dec 2004, 09:44
Hi all

Back to the original question, selection test at Oxford.

To pass the tests...

addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions %'ges
physics moments, arms.

Play ZX spectrum horris goes skiing.
psycho head test - be honest

Interview be yourself.
Team exercise - listen & be yourself

How much weight they put on these test I have no idea, I have heard of people doing not so well on some of the tests and still starting the course, reason given that it's not an area of concern. I've heard of people failing the selection also.

I'm a past APP student Personally enjoyed most aspects of the course, like anything think there are areas where it could be improved and I and others have given feedback regarding this, so hopefully these areas will be listened to and addressed if they are percieved as relevant.

Best advice on this thread so far, visit each school and from your own opinion.

Pearcy If any of you have more, positive solid infomation i would be only too greatful to get in contact with you.
imho for a solid decision you need balanced information, not just positive as you 've requested.

Good day all
FS :ok:

waspie
13th Dec 2004, 13:02
(not entirely on the subject).
Take a look at Flight Training Europe (Jerez). I went to the Oxford Open Day recently and had basically made up my mind that Oxford was where I wanted to go. But I decided to take a look at Flight Training Europe. I will now most likely go there. Purely because of their airline placements. The whole idea of training is to get a licence, which then enables you to get a job, right? Oxford may have an excellent reputation, but if you dont get a job then your pretty stuffed. I dont want to fly for the loco's, I want long haul and big jets (i.e. BA). Flight training Europe sent 14 (I believe) to BA this year, and if I remember correctly Oxford sent 1.
Just a little info for you, I would seriously advise you to take a look at Flight Training Europe before you make up your mind.

flystudent
13th Dec 2004, 16:40
Waspie

Agree check them all out, I'm not ra ra Oxford but I'm not sure if your numbers are totally correct there re Jerez

Their site shows...

Jerez News (http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/news_detail_56.html)

If I understand correctly from my findings the four undertaking JOC training were previous BA candidates who got ditched last minute due to 9/11. Of the others that went for selection I think 1 got through, maybe 2, not 100% on this (into the SSP programme anyway)

From Oxford 7 have gone into the SSP programme, 1 currently on the JOC in Jerez (he was pre BA cadet ditched due 9/11 also) and the other 6 to start in January.
Source is here :Oxford AP227 Job News (http://www.mikechannon.com/APPandJobs.htm)

Cheers FS :ok: