PDA

View Full Version : LOW act!

Romeo Tango Alpha
13th Sep 2004, 22:59
How low can you go!

Any old time TAA drivers remember who, what, when, where, and why? :p

I remember, but lets see who else might. (my liking of the cap in question diminshed within the last 15 years or so.... :yuk: )

http://thetruth.bigpondhosting.com/photos/0b9d97e313445a29391467e48b7c56b9.jpg

Chimbu chuckles
13th Sep 2004, 23:05
Lae Aerodrome?

Great piccy:}

Romeo Tango Alpha
13th Sep 2004, 23:10
Lae it is....

Now, WHO was flying? And WHY was he so low?

I have another shot from that occasion to post yet.

Chimbu chuckles
13th Sep 2004, 23:16
No idea who...my Dad would know him/them though...being ex TAA of that era.

As to why....well when I think back to all the similar things wot I may (or may not:} ) be guilty of...conducted in the same place too....among others nearby:E ..I think the overriding reason was...

WHY NOT!!!!!

Chuckles.

Romeo Tango Alpha
13th Sep 2004, 23:16
And ANOTHER shot.

I 'spose you could call this turning onto finals.... :p

http://thetruth.bigpondhosting.com/photos/6647a99029d8fd0453aeeddcbb7a5ed4.jpg

Kaptin M
13th Sep 2004, 23:38
Nice shots, RTA.
Your question, "Now, WHO was flying? " has led me to think - from the location (PNG), and a previous "hint" of your's...."my liking of the cap in question diminshed within the last 15 years or so.." - that it might have been a previous TAA "star", "Stay Sharp" (or one of his "contempoaries", Spires.)

Romeo Tango Alpha
13th Sep 2004, 23:40
No, not Spires or Stay Sharp.

Here's a hint: "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick maker..." :ok:

bonvol
13th Sep 2004, 23:57
Ray Baker perhaps?

Romeo Tango Alpha
13th Sep 2004, 23:59
Was my hint too subtle perhaps? :confused: :} :p :O := :zzz:

jedda
14th Sep 2004, 00:09
The "ghost" in the cockpit was "going finish" and beat up Lae airstrip. Peter Worley (RIP) and Peter Ivanoff (ghost) were ass't SRC and SRC Lae at the time (I Think). Good days. Any wontok's out there?

Lusimtingting
14th Sep 2004, 00:53
The aircraft was VH-SBA ??which was being ferried Lae to Melbourne around 1971/1972 after service in the then TPNG.
The Captain was Ray B.
The F/O was John M. ( Rabaul based F/O. )
The photographs were taken by Dave H.
There was a tradition that Aircraft and/or crew "going pinis" did a fly-past however the assembled crowd of TAA pilots/hostesses/traffic officers/engineers/cargo bois ,not to mention the Ansett staff ,plus passengers and visitors in the terminal did not expect the performance that followed.
The aircraft gently took off and disappeared behind Hospital Hill.
The crowd thought that was that , and a bit weak too , when he reappeared ,with a fair head of steam up ,at dot feet past the RSL , right angles across the strip , almost dragging one wing-tip across the corrugated iron roof of the Dulux factory , scattered the betel-nut sellers at the 'Boong" ( native market ) then down to the golf course at the end of the strip beyond the roundwater ,where he proceeded to destroy any hopes of a good round by morning golfers by beating up various fairways , the seventh was always a tricky one but he handled it with aplomb. Having completed that piece of destruction he then turned his attention back to the airport. By this time he really had it wound up and headed for the terminal and hangar with the prop tips almost touching the ground. He had to lift one wing to clear a parked Ansett Twin Otter and then somehow managed to squeeze between the Terminal building and the parked DC-3 as per the photo. Most of the crowd was now on the tarmac for a better view and a considerable number dropped to the ground , me included , as decapitation become a rapid possibility. The last we saw was as he headed out over the Huon Gulf , you could almost hear his bellowing laugh but you had to feel for the F/O who had difficulty completing the pre-flight walkround after a truly gigantic night at the TAA mess.
Needless to say Capt Ray was subsequently invited for Tea and Bikkies with Capt Len M. ( Red Ned ) in Melbourne after he got hold of the photos.
Whilst this was one of the most memorable beat-ups at Lae it was surpassed by Capt Niall S. in the last TAA Electra service out of Lae , but thats another story.

elektra
14th Sep 2004, 01:21
Personally heard him say...."I will never recruit strikebreakers" a day or two before I heard an the ABC AM programme that he had left for London to recruit....

Also famous for the Sydney SID 25 Baker One Departure "Climb to 800 ft and then go anywhere you like. It'll be the F/Os fault if you're wrong"

A really great example of a guy who never ever did quite see the forest forall the trees. makes me want to reach for the whiteout every time I see his name in my logbook

jedda
14th Sep 2004, 01:50
Could it have been SBD?Was in Rabaul with the F/O;had a few greenies and brownies with him & Pam.I can still hear the 4 big Allisons on that beat up.

Kaptin M
14th Sep 2004, 01:58
Being an ex-Ansett rat, I knew only a few of the TAA folk, but in my pre-aviation days I went to Teacher's College with a guy whose Dad was El Partridge. Later on - after mixing with some of the TAA crew, they told me how El had passed his (eyesight) medicals with only one good eye.
Does anyone know if that was factual? I tend to believe it probably was, as I understand that it was as a result of Perspex (from the WW2 aircraft's windshields) being found in the eyes of old fighter pilots decades on, that led to the use of it (or something similar) for replacing lens affected by cataracts.

jedda
14th Sep 2004, 04:08
Does anyone have thee head on shot of this "fly past"?It is much better.

Keg
14th Sep 2004, 04:36
Reminds me of the beat ups that a LTCOL Hammond used to do in B-52s. Flying low over ridgelines and going hammer and tong on the angle of bank. Do we recall how that one ended up? :rolleyes:

For those that don't know, he pranged in practising an airshow. Yeah, it's a different time to now but its interesting how by saying how 'cool' photos like that are we tacitly endorse that kind of behaviour. Another generation grows up thinking that low flying and beat ups are cool. Must remember to read that crash report of the beat up gone wrong in the top end. :(

tinpis
14th Sep 2004, 04:51
Dave H nice gent, still aviating?

Lusimtingting
14th Sep 2004, 06:16
El Partridge has passed on , a victim of 'Jack the Dancer'.
He had several tours with TAA in PNG and did some sim instructing in HKG with CX.
During his first PNG tour he had one of his many full and partial engine failures . This time it was a single engine Otter which he successfully put down into a swamp near Annanberg ( near Madang). Having gathered himself he announces to his native passenger that he can hear dogs barking so they must be near a village and proceeds to jump into the swamp and head there for help . The native pax says...Nogat...emi no dogs..emi Puk-Puks ( crocodiles ) . El also had the distinction of divorcing Jan then later remarrying her again. He was a great fellow.
Dave H was flying A300 charters New York - Miami a few years ago , returned to Australia but not sure where he is now , Fatty and/or Skinny Hawkins would probably know.

hoss
14th Sep 2004, 06:36
Point taken Keg:ok: and very responsible. My final 2000hrs in GA were spent in ground effect;) . I've changed now and sometimes wonder about all the close calls. So to all my old mates 'up north' sorry again, won't be running for this years Downlow Medal.

Just think, depending on the exact date 'baby hoss' was probably in his cot just a stones throw away from this photo, Dad was probably there! No wonder I turned out this way :) .

tinpis
14th Sep 2004, 07:08
Was that one of the birds given a dribble of bui (betel-nut) down the side and impressed into the air nogat task force?
:p

Mr. Hat
14th Sep 2004, 07:09
God i love that sort of stuff- post some more boys - get those pics out be it a baron - 310 or whatever - as long as its low!!!!!

Chimbu chuckles
14th Sep 2004, 08:50
Keg you're a blouse:}

itchybum
14th Sep 2004, 09:42
Agreed... blouse it is.

There should be more of this sort of cool photos posted. The B-52 guy is no longer with us because he got it wrong. Shame about the rest of his crew.

I have a few pics to post but they're are a little incriminating. How many years have to pass before a bloke's safe???

I'm gone!
14th Sep 2004, 10:41
Sorry Keg,

Have to agree with Chuck.

Beat ups ARE cool:}

Keep 'em low and fast boys:ok:

Oh, but don't f@ck it up!!

Cheers,

I'm gone!

(Just wish I still had the chance to do the odd one here and there, damn EGPWS!)

Kaptin M
14th Sep 2004, 10:43
How come it was almost always the Management Pilots that did this sort of 5h!t??? And usually got caught out :p

Probably because they were only allowed out of their cages once or twice a month!!

Just as freekin' well in most instances, going by the number of "abnormals" they'd incur, out in the big wide world!

Romeo Tango Alpha
14th Sep 2004, 12:18
I'll see if I can get some more printed out - most are on slide.

I have a couple photos of feathered engine stall-turns, in a DC-3 :p

Please, if someone DOES have the head on shot of the Lae beat-up, or the Electra beat-up, please message me, as I would DEARLY love a print or two!

Keg
14th Sep 2004, 13:00
Mebbe so Chimbu et al but given I figure that 'professional' means staying within the rules- even when I don't like them and more 'fun' could be had elsewhere- I guess I'll wear the tag. May even register a new user name and if thats the worst thing I'm ever called then I'm probably doing OK! :ok:

However, it just proves again that Tony Kern was spot on. The really sad thing is that I'm not convinced he knew the vast extent as to what he was right about.

Regards,
Keg
'Blouse'

Chimbu chuckles
14th Sep 2004, 13:09
Who?

Hey I follow the rules to the nth degree at work. Doesn't mean a well executed low pass is not a thing of beauty...these days only get to do them in a sim:sad:

Having said that a spur of the moment beat up followed by stupid manouvers at low level by the untrained/inexperienced is the ultimate stupidity.

Well thought through, low, fast and gentle :ok:

Chuck.

Romeo Tango Alpha
14th Sep 2004, 13:24
Practicing wheels-up , dead stick landings - ya just never know when you need to use that technique :p (quite convincing if you have never tried it!)

Or nap of the earth in an airliner (flown by hand of course)... Or flying into old Kai Tak, NOT using the IGS/Visual Rwy 13 approach, but by coming up over the hills behind for a straight in (judicious use of EVERYTHING required!)

EDIT - forgot to mention ALL IN THE SIMULATOR!!!

the wizard of auz
14th Sep 2004, 13:40
I guess I am just lucky then. I get to do this sort of thing all day, most days........and within the rules and regs. :ok: :E

gotta have all the training and required ratings and a lil experience to stay alive for a longer period than luck will normally allow, so dont try this at home kiddies, unless your trained to do it proper.

http://www.emerge.net.au/~daznsuz/reflection.jpg
http://www.emerge.net.au/~daznsuz/turn-low.jpg

http://www.emerge.net.au/~daznsuz/working-still.jpg
the pics looked better before I resized them, but hey, they still alright. ;)

itchybum
14th Sep 2004, 13:53
You can get lower in a C210.....no L/G dangling! :ok:

Nice pics, I like it a lot.

the wizard of auz
14th Sep 2004, 14:00
210s a tad inefficiant at stock mustering though. the sheep tend to wear out fairly quickly on hot days and the cocky winges about the fuel being used. :uhoh:

itchybum
14th Sep 2004, 14:03
Wiz check ya PMs

the wizard of auz
14th Sep 2004, 14:19
I checked them.............now check yours. ;)

compressor stall
14th Sep 2004, 14:38
Oi wiz,

reckon you're a blouse now. How bout the "good" pics!

nudge nudge wink wink? :E

fistfokker
14th Sep 2004, 15:12
Chimbu, most impressed that you picked the airfield. Perhaps a memorable thing of a bygone era but agree that best performed by managerial types. Lets not encourage all to "have a go."

All the best.

itchybum
14th Sep 2004, 17:47
Wiz dis-regard ya PMs..... got some cockpit views to offer but your account won't accept emails so I found a temp website. Agree on the 210 for mustering but we used them for different purposes.

A 'friend' gave me this pic. Keg you won't like it, close your eyes...! ;)

http://hstrial-rshambo1.homestead.com/LowFly_001_op_800x540.jpg

Disclaimer:

LOW FLYING IS DANGEROUS.

The above image does not necessarily depict me in action.
I don't recommend the above foolishness to others.
I do not endorse unauthorised low flying.
It is not funny or cool (although the guy who took this pic said
it seemed like it at the time).

:eek:

hoss
15th Sep 2004, 00:31
Thats more like it:) ,

Must be below the tree line(or the high tide mark) before it even counts:ok: .

Safe flying, hoss:)

gaunty
15th Sep 2004, 00:38
Hmmmmm taking off and/or landing in THAT country is always best conducted BELOW the tree line. :E

I'm with Keg AND Chuck AND me mate the wiz and itchybum .:confused:

jedda
15th Sep 2004, 01:04
Going back to PNG for a minute, how many people remember Capt. Larry "Shag" Blackman's 'exploits' at Honiara??? :p That's something NO ONE forgets!

Does anybody else remember the New Year party at Rabaul (71 or 72) at the home of a TAA F/O? I certainly don't remember much, except for a Captain falling 16ft off the balcony to the driveway, getting up, shaking his head, and coming back for more? Some of those present flew the next day - one Lae Captain and Rabaul F/O I am SURE don't remember how they got to Honiara!

And does anyone else remember going to the mess at Lae, turing the fan on, and being covered in talcum powder? Damn Dave!

Uncommon Sense
15th Sep 2004, 02:04
http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/6/4/2/661246.jpg

hoss
15th Sep 2004, 04:27
Anyone got any photo's/stories of the late 'Greasy Blackman' and his flying antics, heard lots of good things about him:ok: .

Lusimtingting
15th Sep 2004, 06:26
Used to live next door to 'Greasy" in Ninth St Lae , ( Mace Denheld on the other side ). Quiet Sunday mornings would be disturbed around 0700 with Greasy/Larry/Henry at the bedroom window " Hey Shags , what about a Fourex ?."
He was famous for delaying the DC3 service between Honiara and Rabaul . Schedule was not important , what mattered was he , and the passengers , picking oysters off the rocks at Yandina or Munda . Same in the highlands , where's Larry , Oh he's down the 'Boong' getting the vegetables for Shirley.
His favourite hotel in Port Morbid was the top pub ( The Papuan ) , no matter how full there was always a room available for Capt Blackman. He did an unwilling stint on the F27 but said it was too bloody fast for him.
The DC3 P2-SBW on the pole outside Pixie HQ in POM is named the "Larry Blackman".
Many a young F/O owed their progression in the industry to the man.

Romeo Tango Alpha
15th Sep 2004, 06:34
So you want to know about Larry "Greasy" Blackman eh?

To the best of my knowledge, he is STILL the highest time DC-3 pilot in the world, and will likely remain that way.(> 32,000 hours or so, on the DC-3 ALONE!!!!!!)

He was called "Greasy" because EVERY landing he did was a greaser. He called EVERYONE Shag.

Larry is most famous for his use of explosives. Since he is now sadly deceased, I guess he can't get into any more trouble, but...

Larry used to take a box of dynmaite with him on overnights in Honiara (well, I should say not on the A/C). He and his mate (Honiara post-master Dudley Wright) would tottle off and find old Japanese bomb dumps, strap a stick on, light, and run, and enjoy the explosion that ensued. He considered it helping out the government. Everyone knew when Larry was in town.

Anyway, one day they found another bomb dump. Placed the dynamite on, lit it and ran. Well, slightly larger explosion than usual, since they didn't realise what was UNDER that bomb, and in the vegetation around! It was apparently heard for MILES around, not to mention the damage.

Needless to say, that ended Larry's bomb disposal days! I believe the local constabularly took a little notice too!

Vale Larry.

Anyone know if Jack Curtiss is still flying SBO for DC-3 Australia?

I had the distinct pleasure of having a "joy flight" in SBO fairly recently, and lo and behold, Jack was the Captain. Couldn't have asked for more!

Eric Sundstrup is another notable mention - a true gentleman, and a great pilot. Is he still living on that island in Tassie?

Chimbu chuckles
15th Sep 2004, 07:12
Was a time when Oz had real low flying training areas:sad:

Moresby still does:ok: Many a happy time spent, quite legally at 10':E

To my mind there is a difference that the nanny state has failed to recognise in the rule book.

Two real life examples:

A young bloke takes off from outback strip in C210 holds it down till the end then pulls up in a wing over to beat up his mates watching.

or

Flying along a big long beach at say 50' for naught but the joy of flying.

Which one is Illegal, which one is stupid?

PS the above piccy is a good example of foolishness...taking the picture while that low is silly...the chances of hitting a dead tree branch in those circumstances is very real...even if concentrating completely on what you're doing. Being that low in that area, even if cattle mustering is a little silly. You wanna be that low do it along a beach.

Romeo Tango Alpha
15th Sep 2004, 07:23
Here's a kind of related shot - shut-down and feathered starboard engine on SBW...

http://thetruth.bigpondhosting.com/photos/2f2aa8c29b5b6799dbc56c05b3dda838.jpg

The stall-turn photos are on slide.

itchybum
15th Sep 2004, 07:29
Chimbu, agreed. But try telling that to a 20yo. You never did anything foolish when you were young?

Anyway I already disclaimed it with a statement on "foolishness" so relax. :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
15th Sep 2004, 07:33
Oh I'm very relaxed....and to answer your question...oh yeahhhhh:uhoh:

Mr. Hat
15th Sep 2004, 07:57
Ahh Wiz thats nasty- LOVE IT MATE. Keep em coming boys:D

Pinky the pilot
15th Sep 2004, 08:00
Chuckles; I know of a Pilot whom shall remain nameless who twice managed to get into Kerema in a BN2 in crappy weather by flying the last 40 or so miles along the coast
'navigating by visual reference to the tops of the Coconut palms' :E
And you know him too!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Lusimtingting
15th Sep 2004, 08:09
RTA

Due you recall the occasion when Larry couldn't get into Henderson Field at Honiara , no problem , put the DC3 down on the golf course.
Another time he got caught out with the weather between Lae and Madang , ended up on the ground at Dumpu and stuck for the night. He and the passengers slept in the aircraft after consuming all the Australian passengers duty free booze. A great night of singing and drinking by all.

Chimbu chuckles
15th Sep 2004, 08:47
Pinky...there have been occassions when people, who shall remain name less, have done that every day for weeks.

Not to mention Kikori, Finchafen, Gonali, Jacquinot Bay, Garasa, Sialum,...and on and on.

It took me 8 years but I finally managed to fly every inch of the PNG coastline at dot feet...a little bit at a time when empty.

Remember the B17 in the swamp on the way to Tufi...only way to find it was low enough to see the fin poking out of the swamp grass...I wonder how many hours were spent in Uncle Dennis' aircraft at zot feet looking for WW2 wrecks...or just having fun?

Interesting to here just how much of a character Larry Blackman was, having seen his name on the one outside BS Castle at POM.

Wonder how many charachters our current nanny state will produce...the world is a poorer place for their passing.

the wizard of auz
15th Sep 2004, 09:15
Stallie, I'm saving them. :E
I also seem to remember a pretty good shot of a 210 in your photo album. ;)
Go on, put it up............I dare ya! :}

Ultralights
15th Sep 2004, 09:56
I used to have an image on my pc of a B707 in rainbow colours flying down a strip at about 30Ft gear up! in front of a croud, anyone else see it?

virgindriver
15th Sep 2004, 10:00
Hmm, I like the first picture- similar (maybe same) as the one they have on the wall of the Taa Museum- sorry- Qantas Museum in Melbourne. Maybe there are more there too. They all knew it was Capt Baker....

barleyhi
15th Sep 2004, 23:56
http://millenniumaircrew.users.btopenworld.com/howlowcanyougo4.jpg

Ultralights

Think this is the one!!

BH

Lusimtingting
16th Sep 2004, 00:32
One pilot , now living in Tassie , who was mentioned earlier in this thread was flying a DC3 load of frozen prawns from Daru to Lae when he had an oil problem. He diverted into Malalau and established it was an indication only problem. So here he was at a shortish , very hot coastal strip with 6,000lbs of frozen prawns and no local freezers available. The charts said he would have to offload the cargo to get out , unless , he had 40 kts on the nose.
Just then a sudden wind sprung up , the 40 kts was achieved and the load was safely delivered over the hump to Lae.
They talk about it still in Malalau.

Laikim Liklik Susu
16th Sep 2004, 01:29
Like your name, I am losing my memory! :{

Which DC-3 had the tonne or so of solidifed concrete under the floorboards? The damned thing was sluggish as all hell, and couldn't uplift nearly as much as the others until the erks found the cement in the fuselage under the floorboards! I seem to remember it was SBI?

Some great names from that period for sure.

tinpis
16th Sep 2004, 02:49
Wasnt exactly a hardship post DC3 crew Madang Lae or Rabaul.

:{

Obiwan
16th Sep 2004, 03:10
barleyhi
Bit like a certain A320 (http://www.airdisaster.com/investigations/af296/af296.shtml)that tried similar at an airshow...

fire wall
16th Sep 2004, 07:44
.........there is told a story about Rod M. the former chief pilot of Airlink in Rabaul days who was addressing the golf ball on the first tee at the Ralum Club but whose concentration was disturbed by not one, but two company a/c racing along the coastline below coconut palm height ....and certainly below the height of the 1st tee.

hmmmmm .... office bound again.
All credit to you Rod, I still never heard you raise your voice!

Chimbu chuckles
16th Sep 2004, 08:12
Almost right......Rocket was raising the first cold one to his lips when the first 404 went roaring past well below the level of the Ralum Club verandah...and coconut palms...and probably anyone standing under them:}. Assorted drinking buddies gave him some stick and just as beer was heading mouthwards again the second roared past:}

Ahhh ****!!!

Next moaning in office..."Dave was that you low flying yesterday?" " Nah that was Ricky.....twice!":D ;)

Both widebody longhaul Captains now:ok: ...and pillars of society:uhoh:

Chuckles.

EDIT: Rod thought it as funny as everyone else. A while later a new pilot thought it would be fun to fly from Sule to Bialla at zot feet long the beach, empty, and got dobbed by some plantation owner....the only one for freaking miles:{ As Rod said to me, with a rye smile, after the call.."How unlucky can a young bloke be...dobbed in the very first time?":ok:

fire wall
16th Sep 2004, 08:49
ahhhh sorry Chuck, twas not "lick lick rick" but Dave and me on the way back from Buka......

Chimbu chuckles
16th Sep 2004, 09:07
Haha I know where you was coming from.:} :ok:

Anyway...why not blame Lik lik:E

Pinky the pilot
16th Sep 2004, 09:45
Chuckles; If anyone would know it should be you; does 'Lik Lik' peruse these hallowed pages?
If not, why not????
Next time you see him ask him to PM/write/ring me would you please?:ok:

you're born. Once when

dogcharlietree
16th Sep 2004, 21:43
Some years ago there was a piccy in the crash comic of a cropduster demonstrating hydroplaning on some lake or river (I think in PNG). Can someone post that if they have it?

airag3
16th Sep 2004, 23:15
Dogcharlie It's called skiing but isn't practiced much in these days of million dollar turbo props , bit hard explaining how you ended up in the channel to your friendly insurance broker.
I'd post pics but am unable at the moment.
BTW, surely that 707 photo is a normal rotation with the gear airbrushed out, even we're not that crazy!!

jedda
17th Sep 2004, 02:07
One of my flying instructors told me,when we were doing "prec. search and land"practice at dot feet,"NEVER LOOK BACK"
I never have!

Pinky the pilot
21st Sep 2004, 10:27
jedda; I try not to. However when it's 44C in the waterbag and I'm halfway up a 12 foot ladder with a 12kg bag of oranges hanging off me it's sometimes very hard to not look back and ask myself..................................................:( :(

you're born. Once when

Flying Ninja
21st Sep 2004, 13:45
Don't claim to be a hero or anything like that but, I remember flying a low wing retractable up the east coast some years ago at a fairly low level for an hour or so .I rounded a point and scared some surfers waiting for a wave. They were startled and jumped, I was equally startled and pulled up. On landing, I noticed that the fuse from behind the front seats to the tail was covered with dried salt water spray.
Have also circled ships ( at sea)at night below mast height ,in a past life.
No photos.

Loc-out
22nd Sep 2004, 04:15
Yes, I guess we have all "done it" at some stage in our careers, before we have grown up, but it is so unnecessary.

In varying degrees, aviation in all its forms, is hazardous enough without adding to it.

"Air show" flying is a full time occupation and extremely hazardous. It is even more so when performed by a "part timer." Best left to the professionals.

James4th
26th Sep 2004, 12:50
Who remembers Don Kendall in Madang? He who flew me below the Madang Golf Clubhouse on a "coastwatchers memorial one" arrival and once IFR through the Jimi gap. I kid you not!

Dave H is retired on the Murray River.(Well beside it anyway)

I must get my slides out and post DC3 formation flying pics taken with 3 DC3s between Madang and Mendi. I have movies as well, the same one's Fatty pinched and showed to Frank Fisher when he was on a goodwill tour of NG. Frank's comment as he viewed the film was reportedly "Boys will be boys"

I was on the tarmac at Lae the day Ray did his beat up, his wing tip was below a Twotter's parked on the ramp. Someone has a photo showing one of the LAMEs prostrating himself on the ground and dropping his camera to avoid the Dak's prop.

My God! They were the days..........

Oh, and it wasnt SBD as that had the "Sunduck" on the tail or maybe it had been repainted by then. Me old memory dims.........the constant battering my brain got in the Transair Lodge Bar in Lae is now taking effect. Which is probably why I dont know how to upload photos to this forum...anybody help?

ICURA?
26th Sep 2004, 18:25
I think everyone agrees that such flying has a degree of danger involved , and in no way can it be condoned (Now "politically correct" immuninized?) BUT one must admire the handling skills demonstrated by such feats. And I feel that these same skills are sadly lacking in a lot of the "New generation" of system operators we now call pilots. Degrade such antics as irresponsable and unprofessional , but I for one will sadly miss those "Magnificent men and their flying machines" and an era of aviation that has passed . Bean counters 1 , pilots 0

jedda
26th Sep 2004, 20:40
Me old memory seems to recall a LAME(I think) named Peter Sorrensen has a head on photo of THAT beat up at Lae.

Torres
26th Sep 2004, 22:28
I recall looking up to the bridge of a coastal trading boat in Buka Passage, from a Beech Baron...........

Capt Fathom
26th Sep 2004, 23:05
Torres, that sounds more like the NDB appr into Lae .

Torres
26th Sep 2004, 23:23
One who frequents these forums would recall the Buka act. I still remember the look on the ship's skippers face! :}

Yup. About two foot higher than Parker's IFR approach into LAE in the Baron........... :}

Stilll laugh at Junior's comment: "Can't drown the :mad:. Can't burn the :mad:. Better sack the :mad:."

tinpis
27th Sep 2004, 01:00
:\

Then there was the hasty removal of tree branches from the tail-feathers of a Dak on arrival in Goroka.

Chimbu chuckles
27th Sep 2004, 04:27
Torres, yes one of the greatest quotes of PNG aviation. Along with Parker's allegged words to his (bleeding) passenger after the CFIW Huon Gulf incident. "Get the **** away from me...haven't you heard about SHARKS?"...or words to that effect.

Yes flying below 500' is illegal in Oz (wasn't in PNG) but it's not in many other places like the US and UK. There you must be 500' from things...not the ground. It can be done 'safely' and it's lots of fun...especially recalling a period which has virtually passed in PNG aviation...although I reckon the few young blokes left 'doing their time' up there are having as much fun as we did years ago. The golden era in PNG ended in about 94, when the Kina was floated...it may have even ended before that when Talair shut up ops in 93. We all had lots of fun times and I personally recollect no-one killed or otherwise hurt doing beatups...well their may have been one who may have been doing one with a donk feathered on a twotter..Torres?

I am sure a few people on here remember the Dash 8 Go Pinis party at Dreamworld in Moresby? When a certain chap came through the compound in a Bandit to let wife (and the assembled party) know he was home. We were all sitting in the hauswin enjoying a coldie when the landing lights were spotted some miles out coming over Parliament Haus. As said Bandit went between the houses and just over the pool and hauswin the CP said to me "Chuck tell me that wasn't one of ours?" "Ummm:D " Al Craigie (Operations boss PNG DCA) just chuckled and raised his beer. Some many hours later said pilot also tried to jump the pool on 'Black Jack' Mckew's C90 step through:ok: And was involved in a an unsidedown drinking competition with CM...now a 'balloon examiner' :ooh: with CASA. The sight of her hubby hanging by his knees from the hauswin roof beam, next to Clive, drinking an SP was one thing...when we pulled their shorts 'up' around their knees trapping them on the beam and shoved opened full SP bottles in their cracks...which proceeded to froth impressively she was less enthused:}

Funny days full of comraderie and 'pilot hijinks' :ok:

tinpis
27th Sep 2004, 07:11
:}

Some years ago there was a piccy in the crash comic of a cropduster demonstrating hydroplaning on some lake or river (I think in PNG). Can someone post that if they have it?

I think the merit award for a water ski attempt would have to be Mike "Ramu" Grants attempt on three wheels in a 402 off Annanberg.

itchybum
27th Sep 2004, 12:23
Water-skiing? What about that guy in the C210 out at Lake Eyre, years ago?

Oh yeah, he fell in... :(

the wizard of auz
27th Sep 2004, 13:17
Yes flying below 500' is illegal in Oz (wasn't in PNG) but it's not in many other places like the US and UK.
Not when ya chase cows and sheep for a living it aint. I love my job sometimes. :}

Wings Of Fury
28th Sep 2004, 11:18
Come on James4th, we want to see some slides, your still yet to show me some of them!

James4th
28th Sep 2004, 14:42
OK WoF tell me how to upload them and I'll do it! I asked the forum before and no one has replyed............

Romeo Tango Alpha
28th Sep 2004, 15:37
James,
Send me a PM and I can tell you, or you can email them to me at [email protected]

Have to keep bringing this thread to top.... :p

James4th
29th Sep 2004, 02:37
This is a test of my uploading skills: click on this and see what happens:-

http://homepage.mac.com/islandcoastaviation/PhotoAlbum1.html

Thanks RTA but I think I have got the idea now but by brain hurts!

CBD
29th Sep 2004, 09:47
For those interested here is a link to some video's of similar
acts....

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

Spitfire Vid is is quite funny.....i think someone needed a change of pants

Cheers CBD

Wings Of Fury
29th Sep 2004, 12:25
James4th, your not as thick as you look!
Why don't you put the one up of the bara!:ok:

James4th
30th Sep 2004, 00:01
Yes I was going to use it, but the photo has changed to B and W, did you do that? I'll try and change it back and publish it.

TwoDogs
30th Sep 2004, 15:39
All this talk of DC 3's, Rabaul and taim befo' ...must mean there are a few lapuns posting here.
Does anybody know what happened to John Flynnn, based in Rabaul in mid 70's, or what he is doing now?

tinpis
30th Sep 2004, 21:18
Two Dogs if its the same JF try National jet.
My guess is there are a few VERY lapuns lurking.

:}

James4th
3rd Oct 2004, 08:23
More old NG photos here
;-
http://homepage.mac.com/islandcoastaviation/PhotoAlbum1.html

Cheers Alljavascript:smilie(':cool:')

tinpis
3rd Oct 2004, 23:04
Thanks for sharing the photos James I can hear the old Dak lumbering down the Mendi strip.
1971 was a busy year in Mendi with the changeover of PWD to the Army.
I travelled that year to Madang and was flown by Peter Manser and Bill Rogers.
From the Baiyer river to Madang was solid IMC and how the hell they found the runway is still a mystery to me being partially IFR in the cockpit as well from Mansers Craven A's.

:ok:

tinpis
7th Oct 2004, 06:33
Does anyone know where the video is of a (310?) landing and rolling on its hind legs with a speeding ute and crew in front equipped with a rope to hoik the stuck nose wheel forward?
NSW country we can guess the operator

Yes it worked.

Obiwan
7th Oct 2004, 23:31
Hadn't heard of that one but I saw a Yank reality show where a guy flew low along a runway while another guy in the back of a pickup pulled down his stuck undercarriage. A Piper I think it was...

Woomera
8th Oct 2004, 02:35
Obiwan

Yank and reality in the same sentence:confused: oh hang on,.... I didn't see the word show. :p

Similar has been performed many times n Oz, including a mate of mine hanging out the door of Cessna retractable using a seatbelt to hook the main gear to lock.

dogcharlietree
9th Oct 2004, 01:21
tinpis, that 310 was on the TV news many years ago. Cudal and from memory Max was heard to say wtte, we do it all the time.
Ah, the good old days.

tinpis
9th Oct 2004, 01:35
Thanks dogcharlie I think youre right it was many moons ago before video even?:(
DCA had a laugh of course.:}

Animalclub
10th Oct 2004, 04:21
James4th
When did the Sunbird go from the TN tails? I left PNG the first time in 1968 and the Sunbird was still there. The only aircraft I can remember seeing with the tail shown as in your photograph in those days was VH AEQ - the one with rectangular windows - I think called a "Tourliner".

Tinpis
I was at the Lae strip when a DC3 landed with branches hanging off its tail and it taxied straight into the MAL hangar!! That was on a trip from GKA... I believed GS was at the helm.

Those were the days.

Does anyone recall Len Cooper shooting at the "dogs" barking in the swamp whilst rescueing a single engined Otter?

James4th
10th Oct 2004, 09:05
I believe the Sunduck left our tails in 1969-70 when a new "T" tail logo was painted......I am sure there is someone out there with a better memory than mine......

It was called a view-master and I dont think it was AEQ, it was TAK.... some things will never die in my memory......

God, I miss those days.......

Cheers,

MkVIII
10th Oct 2004, 10:48
Sadly mouldy from the years, but nonetheless, GW's shots of SBD...

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/Vulch/2004101063049_sbd.jpg

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/Vulch/2004101063149_sbd%202.jpg

And KP flying the TAA Northern Territory Aerial Medical Services Dove at a respectable height down Alice strip...

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/Vulch/2004101063331_dove%20low.jpg

Chimbu chuckles
10th Oct 2004, 13:05
Ahh...it's a Dove innit?:suspect:

MkVIII
10th Oct 2004, 13:08
Yup, brain fart.

All this talk of DC-3's.... :p

skydozer
11th Oct 2004, 01:23
Wonderful thread, I seem to remember seeing a lot of pictures from TAA that I inherited from my Uncle 'Dick' Glassey. I will see if I can find them and post.

tinpis
11th Oct 2004, 07:31
Thought someone might like to see a "Sunbird" tail the old lapuns are on about

Wendys photos from PNGBD site

http://www.pngbd.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/676

Animalclub
11th Oct 2004, 09:09
Mkviii

I have to be honest... it's the first time I've seen a TAA DC3 in that livery... and I've flown in SBD many, many times. I remember the F27 and Twotter in that livery... a few years after I left PNG for the first time.

Somewhere I still have my Sunbird membership badge of the TAA mess in Lae.

Chimbu chuckles
11th Oct 2004, 14:27
In that link there's a picture labelled 'Talair drivers' taken on the very evening of the Dash 8 go pinis where the bandit beatup/inverted piss drinking (you can see the hauswin roof beam they hung from) and the motor bike into the pool trick happened...even Windy of Pprune fame is pictured...if you know which one he is.:ok:

I'll have to email John & Gail Thomas and see if there aren't a few more piccies from that evening to be shared.

Talair drivers (http://www.pngbd.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2749/sort/1/cat/509/page/1)

Taildragger
11th Oct 2004, 20:42
Lusimtingting .....
I would swear that it was "His Sharpness" but I bow to your superior tingting. We sha discuss it over a flagon or two of Ribena on your upcoming tour of the Mother Country.
Happy days. Happy days. What happened to enjoying aviation once in a while.??
Chias

tinpis
12th Oct 2004, 01:12
skydozer would be nice of you to hang your uncle Dick "Glasseye" photos in here.
I feel sure the must be of Ansett MAL tho not TAA?

OpsNormal
12th Oct 2004, 01:27
RTA, I can't see where anyone answered your question about Jack Curtis. As far as I am still aware he is still doing his thing in VH-SBL and whatever is left of the Dak Nat Air fleet (whatever they are called these days?).

He called through Alice late last year in said SBL with a charter on the go, still very much the same Cap'n Jack that I had met when a mate of mine worked for him in the late 90's at YSBK.

We had a few coffees and a good laugh.

That was about 12 months ago, don't know about these days but dare say that if the flesh is still willing?

Regards,

Ops.:}

P.S. Chuck, we still haven't caught-up after you dropped in down at Palm Beach to say G'day a few years ago. Where are ya now?:E

Regards, (ex 429cj)

:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
12th Oct 2004, 03:17
ahh 429cj:O Somewhere is Asia:suspect: fkying B767:ok:

Taildragger...Roster change has me off to BKK-FRA later this week rather than arriving LHR in the morning. I'll email ya when I get the next Roster in a week or two.

Animalclub
12th Oct 2004, 06:41
Uncle Dick Glassey spent as much time in the TAA mess (when he was in Lae) as I did... and I lived there!!!
And yes he did fly for A/MAL.

Romeo Tango Alpha
12th Oct 2004, 11:22
Old Smokey,
I make reference to your mention of "Ray Salt and Pepper" a few posts back. I take it you are referring to the GENUINELY right/left dyslexic Captain RB? :yuk:

Old Smokey
12th Oct 2004, 13:23
Well, without bringing any names into it, maybe the crowd gathered at Lae were lucky that day that RB had his Left/Right organised in advance as he turned away.

After his famous (infamous?) wrong way turn some years later, it was commonplace that when the departing crew knew that he was next to fly the aircraft, they'd take the little S and P stickers from the Salt and Pepper shakers in the galley, and place them on the control wheel, P on the Left, and S on the Right (Port and Starboard for the younger generation).

Of course it was the F/O's fault, maybe he didn't have JM there to direct him that day.

No names, no pack drills!

tinpis
13th Oct 2004, 01:38
Uncle Dick Glassey spent as much time in the TAA mess (when he was in Lae) as I did...

Animalclub m8 we all did..I wonder what the attraction may have been ???:E

skydozer
13th Oct 2004, 07:26
Quite right 'Dick' did fly for Ansett/MAL but I seem to remember a lot of TAA DC3 and 'Ad Astra' LoadStar? pictures. Recently shifted so will have to dig through a few box's to find them. I was quite young when he died but I still recall sitting in wonder when listening to his yarns about PNG, Ansett/MAL, and Air NG around the aeroclub bar.

He among others was largely why I took up a career in aviation, however times have changed as have the adventures! Can't help but feel somthing is missing these days ....... how ever if you access to an Auster (or similar) and no ones looking ......

Animalclub
13th Oct 2004, 07:54
tinpis... same thing was available down at the Cecil. Perhaps our's were better looking and the beer was colder!!

tinpis
13th Oct 2004, 21:13
Animal I wondered how long it would be before the "Cesspool" got a mention :p

Skydozer did Dick fly Lodestars at one time????
Now theres a hairyplane I,ve seen stack some low acts such as knocking the sign off a boozer with a wingtip......

skydozer
13th Oct 2004, 22:39
I understand he did fly the Loadstar but I am not sure in what shape or form ...... I do recall him saying it was a handful. I have a funny feeling it was for survey or mapping work.

tinpis
14th Oct 2004, 04:12
skydozer that may have been VH-AGS a Lockheed Hudson of Adastra airways which was still around in the 70's before the East West takeover.I dont know what the difference is between a Hudson and a Lodestar i guess its the civvy fit out being both both based on Lockheed 18 models.
The Lodestars(s) I was referring to were operating as crop dusters in kiwi land long before you were around probably and yes they were a handful I recall at least one of them smiting its driver.
The AGS is apparently living at Caboolture field decked out in its wartime guise.
There was one Adastra Hudson living off the end of Horn Island for years someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Laikim Liklik Susu
14th Oct 2004, 04:37
There was a Ventura rotting at the end of Gove until fairly recently - it is now at Caloundra Air Museum.

I don't think there is a Hudson on Horn Island. All I remember is a buggered USAAF P-47 Thunderbolt in BAD shape, and I think the remnants of a Boomerang.

One Hudson now flies with Temora Air Museum, and the other I THINK is still in Melbourne (the one Searle USED to fly)

Andrew Kerans
14th Oct 2004, 06:23
Completely off topis

but my favoutite French tern

Je vous tete te tete

Indonesian

mau makan susu

and of course pidgin

Lakim liklik susu

but some of those marys werent too pretty!!!

Laikim Liklik Susu
14th Oct 2004, 07:50
Like they say, more than a handful is a waste.

Now, back on topic please... :ok:

tinpis
14th Oct 2004, 17:03
Warm front, PNG (http://www.pngbd.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3284/size/big/sort/1/cat/597)

Woomera
18th Oct 2004, 04:28
An ADASTRA Hudson went into the water off Horn Island many years ago.

Pinky the pilot
18th Oct 2004, 10:04
Oi Tinpis; Look here Wantok; I really should'nt see piccies like that! Does'nt do my blood pressure any good at all.:{
Makes me wish that I was still there!

you're born. Once when

tinpis
20th Oct 2004, 04:18
Thanks Woomera I knew I flew thru there once and it was talked about.

Pinky that was what animalclub was talking about at the Cecil.:E :E :E :E

Animalclub
20th Oct 2004, 09:37
Wrong tinpis... was talking about the AN crew that used to stay there in the DC6B days!!!

In those days we never even thought about the other.

tinpis
20th Oct 2004, 21:25
Animalclub sorry about that ,boy you do go back a ways!
You would remember the Cecil as a plash place eh with annual Balls held on the roof top everyone in munky suits etc not the "Cesspool" it became later

Desert Flower
25th Oct 2004, 05:37
Few more piccies if anyone's interested.

http://tinyurl.com/68wy3

DF.

gaunty
25th Oct 2004, 05:46
DF

You'd have thought the Herc Mothership would have at least been able to keep their props in phase, lets' the side down you know. :p

dogcharlietree
26th Oct 2004, 00:50
gaunty, they are fitted with a synchrophaser just to ensure that this does not happen. Sorry.

gaunty
1st Nov 2004, 00:23
dogcharlietree

I would be amazed if they weren't.

In this case it did not appear to be working perhaps as well in keeping the props "dressed" in the search for precision and perfection to which they aspire from march on despatch and recovery. A magnificent spectacle indeed, IMHO verging on being almost too robotic to have a human touch.

It was in any event a light hearted jest, but if it makes you feel more valid then please be my guest.

You might be interested in some of the fun idiosyncracys of these systems.

Beware the Jabberwock (http://www.wweek.com/html/mulder.html)

robroy
7th Nov 2004, 11:48
Skydozer,

Had the pleasure of flying with and being checked by "The Optic "aka, Glasseye.

We had a few minor differences of opinion back in the 70's. But we both saw each others point of view.

Had some great times with him on overnights and afterwards, many years later, on Fri. evenings, we, with a few other ex PNG guys, would have a fews beers at the Cleveland RSL.

It was there that we learn't from Dick, that at one time, late 40's or early 50's, whilst in the RAAF,he was making an attempt on the record from Perth to Sydney, then to Richmond.

Things were going OK till about Abm. Adl, then a problem appeared that seemed to be major, so he backed off whilst well ahead of the record.

After landing, it was found to be several minor squawks, indicating ,a major one, he could have had the record but he erred on the side of safety, typical of Dick's , AIRMANSHIP!

I along with many others from PNG were at his funeral at Cleveland.

Would your Father, be the Gentleman, Dick's brother that sang a Scottish Lament from the back of the Church, that brought tears to every one's eyes, particlarly all the PNG pilots present, in fact I have tears in my eyes now, just trying to type this post.

I have dug out a few old rosters I still have from PNG.

On Tues. 25th July 1972,

0515 VH - FNG, Lic. Ren. Capt. R. Glassey ( L/R ) Checking , Capt. J. Regan at Pom.

On 24th, July 1972 VH - FNM, 1638 x 2, 1633 x 2, Pom - Lae _ Gka - Lae - Pom. Under the Command of Capt. R Glassey, let me know if you would like some PNG bits about your Uncle,

Cheers,

robroy

Skydozer,

A thousand apologies, I for got to mention in my post that the aircraft that Dick was flying for the record ,was, a DeH. Mosquito.

Cheers

robroy

Skydozer,

Just found this mention of Dick in the copy I have of, "The Ode to Mendi " , By J. Morton & N. Bramley.

Verse 10.

But now our problems are teeny weeny,
As we've been saved by "Fearless Feeney ",
For the " Optic " thought he'd like the scenery,
For two months stay in Mendi.

Cheers again,

robroy