PDA

View Full Version : from fATPL to employment?

Divet II
13th Sep 2004, 22:40
Hi everyone,

Does anyone has any idea of how long it seems, on average, it is taking for newly qualified people to get jobs with the airlines at the moment? From the guys I know at my club, it seems to be about 18 months/ 2 years after completion of their courses, no matter which kind it was. Anyone any suggestions?

Im about to start full time modular training, just wondering how long I should expect to be instructing before I might get into a RH seat. I feel this is a very important part of my financial planning so would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Divet II

Voeni
14th Sep 2004, 15:39
Why not full-time integrated training? might enhance your job opportunities...

it's pretty difficult to guess how long it takes, if you're lucky, you might get a job pretty soon. I had to wait for exactly one year, but now i've got one of the best jobs you can!

anyway, think the outlook is not too bad, as for the past 1-2 years hardly anyone started training, so when demand starts to pick up (it already does!), in 2-3 years we're running out of pilots, i bet.

Divet II
14th Sep 2004, 16:30
Cheers Voeni,

at last someone with some good news to shed a bit of hope on it all! Where did you do your training?

Im doing full time modular because I already have my PPL, and coz it costs about 15 or 20k less, but Im still not 100% sure. Any chance you might tell me who you got your job with and if/how your course influenced it? :)

Cheers again

Northern Highflyer
15th Sep 2004, 10:08
anyway, think the outlook is not too bad, as for the past 1-2 years hardly anyone started training, so when demand starts to pick up (it already does!), in 2-3 years we're running out of pilots, i bet.

I would read some of the threads on here and you will soon realise that :

a) there are a lot of people training and have been over the last 2 years.

b) the world will never run out of pilots.

Time to getting that first job will vary from a few weeks to years, or maybe never. It is down to hard work, networking, circumstances, and above all, luck.

tom24
15th Sep 2004, 10:44
NH, you forgot the important one - size of your wallet!

;)

Divet II
15th Sep 2004, 11:02
Cheers for the replies all, but really I just wannna know, for example, how long it took you? And how long did it take any of your mates?

Thanks

Fred4000
15th Sep 2004, 11:54
There is no answer to this question divet. Or if there was one it would be "it all depends" on:

- How good at interviews you are.
- What your personality is like.
- What your academice grades are
- How good a teamworker/communicator you are etc.....

If you are a bright guy, with a good personality and love working in teams, you could get the first job you apply to.

If your not suited to the career, they (an airline) will pick that up in the selection.

As mentioned above, the most important factor is luck. All I can suggest is to get your fATPL, then go on courses to hone you interview, teamworking, communication skills and then apply to every job on the market. Thats all you can do.

My mate did the Oxford integrated course about 3 yrs ago and no job. He has now paid for a type rating (737) - still no job.

Divet II
15th Sep 2004, 13:49
OK so there's no exact answer, but I didn't expect there to be. This is why Im asking how long did it take you? (anyone)!

It may well take some weeks and others years, depending on this and that but there must be an average!

Cheers for your your reply and info Fred4000

IRRenewal
15th Sep 2004, 15:39
Never equals infinite.

Any average including infinite equals infinite.

but there must be an average!

There isn't. Not a practical one anyway.

Divet II
15th Sep 2004, 16:24
This is getting silly now! Obviously no one knows the answer thats impossible, which is why im now asking how long did it it take you??? Anyone! Im just curious how long it has taken anyone,

thanks