PDA

View Full Version : A tad worried!

piper pervert
13th Sep 2004, 14:00
Hi All,
I am sitting G/Nav and Instruments in October and wondered if anyone who sat them this month (Sept) could give some clues as to what the emphasis seemed to be on.I last did them in November so am more than a bit worried that i could be studying the wrong stuff.

Cheers

PP

High Wing Drifter
13th Sep 2004, 14:51
The questions are generated randomly with a little manual tweaking (more or less). I would not attempt to think of second guessing what's in the exam!

piper pervert
13th Sep 2004, 18:56
I wasn't planning on relying on other peoples findings to get me through,i understand that it is random but was just interested to hear what other people had experienced.When i originally sat it, people in sittings either side (date-wise) to mine reported similar trends to our sitting,i.e a large emphasis on crp-5 and not a lot on charts/scale etc.I was simply wondering if this was still a common trend.

cheers

pp

High Wing Drifter
13th Sep 2004, 19:12
From what I can gather you can indeed best bet on much Whizz Wheel work. You need to be pretty good and quick if you are to finish all the questions accurately. Be very prepared on that count! Also, as I noticed the wording is designed to confuse, a momentary lapse in concentration will have you working out the heading when it only asked for the track...that sort of thing.

PilotOnline
14th Sep 2004, 10:42
Piper,

I just sat the September exams and I'm pretty sure I screwed up General Nav because I didn't look through the paper before starting, to gauge the layout of the exam.

As HWD said, a computer selects the questions, although the CAA can tweak it to give a certain breakdown of question types which I believe they have recently admitted to. Guessing how that breakdown will go is like guessing the lottery numbers. If anything at all, make sure you are really quick on the Whizz Wheel. I cannot emphasise that enough. This month the Gen Nav exam was mainly CRP5 stuff and time was of the essence. Sadly I was not in the right frame of mind on the day and didn't quite finish.

If you know your chart differences/CRP5 (not just the straight forward stuff!) and scale calcs, PSRs etc you should be ok. We did have a bit of INS but straight forward G.Circle bearings at waypoints etc. I must admit I've tried to forget about it so my memory is a bit hazy! Also have a look at the gift questions like the highest latitude you can observe a sunset and sunrise, a straight line on a Mercator is...etc to give you extra time for the long whinded questions.

Instruments was pretty straight forward as far as I remember. Again my brain has experienced meltdown during last week so I can't remember too much specifically except, not much FMS or INS came up, a fair bit on Gyros was in there I seem to recall.

PM me if you need any more info.