PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

747 Truth
12th Sep 2004, 08:34
Hello all,

I Will keep this brief. I have 140k to spend (spent 4 years of back breaking work to earn it). Decided on the integrated approach to flight training. Decided on 2 flight schools:

1) Jerez
2) Oxford

Cant for the life of me decide. Which one should i choose and why? If some former students of the schools could answer to that will be great.

Help!

:cool: :ok: :sad:

EGAC_Ramper
12th Sep 2004, 12:23
I think the best bit of advice is to spend some of that hard earned cash and take a trip to both FTO's you have narrowed it down too.I myself went and visited Oxford and have chosen it for my training though be it on a full-time modular route having already got my PPL.
Some Oxford students should reply and furnish you with more details,if not carry out a search on these forums for Oxford and Jerez and you should find a wealth of info.

Regards:ok:

747 Truth
12th Sep 2004, 13:17
Hello all,

Thx for the advice EGAC_Ramper. As it happens i have already both FTO's. My problem is i like them both. What i would like is maybe some current students/instructors etc to tell me why they would maybe choose one over the other.

End the end my target is to work for either BA or Virgin Atlantic. I know pilots from both Airlines. At BA they say Oxford or Jerez and at Virgin they say the same to.

Maybe i should close my eyes and pick one and go with that. The only argument i have heard from one of my buddies that flies 747's for BA is to go to Jerez becasue its cheaper and BA recognises it as much as Oxford.

I dont know.....

Speedbird744
12th Sep 2004, 15:51
I certainly don't think BA are going to be recruiting pilots straight out of flight school (Oxford or Jerez), let alone Virgin Atlantic.

When you reach their Direct Entry Pilot requirements, you'll have quite a bit of airline experience and by then, I can't see which flight school you went to really matters to them!

Oxford APP is quite a product, but I'd go for Jerez.

Regards,
s744

747 Truth
13th Sep 2004, 04:55
Any particular reason why you would go to Jerez?

And yes i know people who walked straight out of flight school into positions at BA and Virgin quite simply becasue there mommies and daddies know the management (and so i have kept in contact with them to....hehe i will use the same nepetism to!)....... One of the guys who got in is sitting besides me now!

A long time ago i learned its not what you know its who you know!

:ok: :cool:

Dan 98
13th Sep 2004, 07:40
747 Truth,

I would speak to all the people who you know at BA and Virgin and ask which school they went to. Also you wont need £140k.

Dan

747 Truth
13th Sep 2004, 07:44
Its kinda 50/50 at the moment. Slightly more went to oxford then Jerez but when i spoke to the training captain and he said BA does not care, Oxford or Jerez is A ok with them!

Yeah i know i dont need 140k i wil need about 65k....

:ok:

Speedbird744
13th Sep 2004, 11:05
Well maybe in the past some pilots have been lucky to secure a job through their contacts at BA or Virgin.

But with Virgin's mainly longhaul fleet, and their current requirement of 3000 hours. I think you're talking about many many years ago when they ran a cadet scheme, and had an Airbus 321 in their fleet. Long gone are those times.

I'd just concentrate on how you can achieve your dream NOW, because times have changed. And if you've read some previous threads on buying type ratings, that will continue to occur. But you have sufficient funds which is good.