PDA

View Full Version : Medium-long term employment prospects

davis_love
11th Sep 2004, 18:50
I'm no expert on this - hence this post - but:

1 - Current employment is hard to get (with no experience)
2 - This demand is bound to change medium to long term (8-10 years)
3 - I want to get myself to the stage of having a fATPL when demand outstrips supply (assuming it will) - and airlines will have to take low hours pilots.

Question is:

(1) - What is the view of you experienced pilots working in the UK airline industry. Having seen demand outstrip supply before - can it happen again? - and when do you thiing this is mst likely to be? (my guess is 8-10 years)

(2) - I would get my PPL, enjoy my flying for a couple of years, then get CPL and climb the license ladder doing modular courses spead over 3,4,5 years. Would I be (realistically) penalised for doing modular over (say) 6 years, compared to pilot straight out of (say) Oxford FT with an intergrated course?

Any help/advice would be grand.

Roidelstein
12th Sep 2004, 11:56
Has demand ever really outstripped supply though?

Captain Ratpup
12th Sep 2004, 12:04
In aviation, half a minute is medium-term. One and a half hours is gazing into a crystal ball.

You simply cannot predict when things will pick up. Everyone thought the market would explode for pilots three years ago...

My advice would be to acknowledge that it will always be ridiculously difficult, that your chances are slim no matter when you qualify, and to simply GO FOR IT NOW if you have the determination to succeed.