PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence

ourish gal
10th Sep 2004, 14:15
Could someone please tell me if you would experience more turbulence at the back of the plane than the front and if so why.

Thank you!:cool:

Nearly Man
10th Sep 2004, 14:41
Is it something to do with CofG and/or torsional snaking?
Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about, sorry mate

Terror_is_firmer
10th Sep 2004, 14:54
Hold a ruler in the centre between you thumb and index finger. No move your hand up and down quickly. Both ends of the ruler move an equal distance. Now move your finger and tumb more towards one end and move your hand up and down again and see what happens.

ourish gal
10th Sep 2004, 14:58
mmmm....I see. :O

When you put it like that it seems quite obvious!

Thanks! ;)

mymymy
10th Sep 2004, 23:53
Now that the subject has been mentioned.......

....what I'd like to know is why some pilots illuminate 'seat belts' signs the second they feel a bump, sometimes leaving it on for the duration of the chop and then perhaps an additional 20mins before extinguishing it? Of course this scenerio usually unfolds when I need the loo the most.
Others can seem a little more hesitant and might wait until turbulence becomes more severe before the sign light's up.
Sometimes, the flight attendants continue to work, while at other times, they too are seated.
Is there a specific rule that airlines have regarding use of the seat belt sign or is as simply pilot discretion?

just curious
thx
3m

Notso Fantastic
11th Sep 2004, 09:56
The enormous rise in litigation emanating from the States and spreading everywhere has pilots worried that legal action can easily result if anybody is injured in turbulence when the seat belt sign is on. People will probably sue if the bumps get bad enough to make them fall over and the seat belt sign is not on. It is not possible to spot Clear Air Turbulence by radar, so often it is not until you run into it that you know it's there.

simfly
11th Sep 2004, 10:18
It's also possible that aircraft up ahead may be experiencing bad turbulence, so the following aircraft may get prepared just in case....

ourish gal
13th Sep 2004, 11:28
probably also just the simple fact that turbulence is so unpredictable....

AIRWAY
13th Sep 2004, 11:52
Anyway i believe passangers should keep their seat belts on at all times... With or without turbulence

eal401
13th Sep 2004, 14:26
As Airway states, keep your seatbelts on. I always do, it's no great hardship.