PDA

View Full Version : G-aohi

mikedurward
10th Sep 2004, 07:40
Hi All

Does anyone have ANY info about this aircraft. It was a BEA Viscount that crashed on Ben More Scotland on the 19/01/73. My father Capt. Walter Durward was flying at the time.

ANY info would be great.

Thanks

Mike :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Sep 2004, 10:17
I tried a search on Google, which came up with a few items, including the following:

"Viscount G-AOHI departed Glasgow at 14:22 GMT on a test flight which was to last about 15 minutes. The crew intended to carry out the flight in visual conditions. Weather conditions however, were marginal: rain and snow with 6km visibility, 8/8 clouds at 4000 feet and strong winds (50-60 knots) at 2000 feet. The plane had climbed to an altitude of 4000 feet when it crashed near the peak of Ben More mountain, 35 miles north of Glasgow.
PROBABLE CAUSE: "The pilot did not maintain a safe altitude and gave insufficient attention to navigation when flying VFR into an area of snow covered high ground in marginal weather conditions."

Have you tried obtaining a copy of the official accident report? I wonder why they chose VFR in such conditions? Doubt we'll ever know.

BOAC
10th Sep 2004, 10:24
Mike - on 29/3/2004 you posted this:

I have all the info you need. I have a copy of the full crash report. My father Walter Durward was the captain of the flight. Want any info?

Mike

Without wishing in any way to detract from the loss of your father, it is PPrune policy not to allow multiple posts on subjects. There are now 5 under 'search', 4 of them yours, including two in 'Where are they now?'

This thread is therefore closed. You can, of course, 'refresh' any of the other posts by adding to them.