PDA

View Full Version : Navy v Army pilot training

Like This - Do That
9th Sep 2004, 02:54
Hello PPRuNers

Please help settle an argument, if you can.

Army pilots go from Tamworth straight to Oakey to do rotary wing training. Navy pilots go from Tamworth to Pearce for military flight training in the PC-9 before rotary wing conversion.

Prior to 1983 the reason is obvious but since then? Why do the Pussers do the PC-9 training before rotary and the AJs don't?

As I said it's to settle an argument ... any takers?

Cheers

R2000
9th Sep 2004, 03:34
More advanced Instrument Flying training and consolidation is part of it.

The Army training outcome is to graduate into a squadron as a blackhawk copilot. The Navy outcome graduates into commanding a seahawk with no copilot (an observer) capable of operating single pilot over water at night at low level hunting subs and landing back on ships and possibly under less direct flying supervision.

Hempy
9th Sep 2004, 05:47
Yeah the Instrument flying component has a lot to do with it. The "majority" of Army flying is VFR over land, whilst the "majority" of Navy flying is IFR over water.

Like This - Do That
9th Sep 2004, 12:24
I appreciate the answers, chaps. Your points match those of the winner of the argument, and he aint me....

I even gave it any thought .... in my defence all my time in the back of UH-1's has been in the day VFR, and I've never flown off a frigate at night.

Cheers