PDA

View Full Version : Air Pollution in Hong Kong

Karunch
7th Sep 2004, 00:19
For another reason to look closely at the Hkg move, try these webcams http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/interactive/webcam/ig_webc_peak.jhtml
for the not so impressive views of Hkg's pollution. Alternatively, have a think about how you'd feel if your young kids took up smoking, simply breathing in Hkg is equivalent for most months of the year. Might also explain my persistant cough. Cheers

christep
7th Sep 2004, 04:54
It is patently ridiculous to say that breathing in Hong Kong is equivalent to smoking.

If this were the case then the life expectancy in HK would be dramatically lower than other first world countries (because 100% "smoke" compared to 20-30% elsewhere).

In fact, the life expectancy in HK is higher than that in the UK, Australia, US or Canada. (Source: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idbprint.html )

FlexibleResponse
7th Sep 2004, 05:43
For another reason to look closely at the Hkg move, try these webcams http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng...webc_peak.jhtml
for the not so impressive views of Hkg's pollution. In fact, the life expectancy in HK is higher than that in the UK, Australia, US or Canada. Therefore, it follows that breathing polluted air will extend life expectancy?!!

V1650
7th Sep 2004, 06:26
Australia 2 and 126.9 please check your PM, thanks

christep
7th Sep 2004, 06:41
Therefore, it follows that breathing polluted air will extend life expectancy?!! Er, not in the logic system that I use, no.

Karunch
7th Sep 2004, 22:44
Christep, may I suggest you talk to your Ame or Gp (as I did) regarding this issue. They are the ones dealing with respiratory problems on a regular basis and will no doubt enlighten you. Life expectancy is too simple for this (and does not consider cause of death), you need to compare the incidence of respiratory problems in Hkg to the countries you list and then see how respiratory problems feature as cause of death. Anecdotal evidence suggests the respiratory problem of Sars would not have escalated as it did had Hkg (and other polluted cities)residents not been particularly prone to respiratory illness.
Finally, take a look out the window and try telling me you are happy your kids are breathing that air. Cheers.

shortly
8th Sep 2004, 00:51
Pity this post has got so far off track and is now a 'lets bag Hong Kong' theme. Karunch, I assume you choose to live in this city you think so unhealthy? I strongly suggest you do a little more research on airborne pollutants before trying to sound so pious. Sure the visibility here is adversely affected by output from the factories in Southern China, but it is interesting that there are more cases of asthma, percentage wise, in many cities in Oz than here. Canberra is a case in point. I believe the visible particulates are not the real concern but the ones too small to see. And by the by, talking with a GP about issues such as this, well I don't have much time for quacks and cannot imagine why one would have more knowledge on this or many other topics than for example you and me. Now I am not saying pollution is healthy, I am not saying that we should not be aiming for clear skies. But I am saying that it is easy to run down a place if you want to, I will stay in Honkers whether or not I can see across the water to the Gold Coast. The many advantages of this city clearly outweigh the disadvantages - for me at least. And those that don't like it, well their choice is clear (no pun intended).

christep
8th Sep 2004, 04:56
Karunch,

I am very familiar with the SARS outbreak (as longtime readers here may recall). The "escalation" of respiratory problems that you refer to is a myth caused by the hysteria surrounding the whole episode. The number of deaths from pneumonias (of all kinds) during the SARS period was not significantly different from that during other years. Moreover, senior medical people have been quoted as saying that many of the relatively few SARS deaths were caused by the "treatment" rather than by the virus, and for some unfortunates who survived the treatment the complications continue.

I haven't the time at the moment to do the comparison on other respiratory problems, but as Shortly says, the incidence of asthma in many western countries is increasing at an alarming rate. Personally, my feeling is that this is far more linked to the "vaccinate against everything and do everything possible to avoid exposure to things that might help children develop a healthy immune system" mentality that seems prevalent in many western countries than it is linked to increases in pollution.

I am unable to consult my GP (or Ame, whatever that is) on the simple grounds that I don't have one, having had no need to consult a doctor for over 15 years, excluding a couple of sporting injuries. I like to think that this is not unrelated to the fact that I have an immune system developed by exposure to chickenpox, mumps, measles, scarlet fever and other stuff which kids these days aren't allowed to catch.

But we are way off topic here, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Like Shortly, for me the upside of living in HK far outweighs the downside so I am planning to stay here for the foreseeable future.

fat&furious
8th Sep 2004, 07:07
Shortly and Christep; I hope your "quacks" and the "Drs you never visit even when injured" do not know who you are. Dr O'T might be very interested in your condition during your next aircrew medical!

A bit of respect would be nice towards people who are not Pilot's.:*

As to "Quacks" maybe a listen to Dr Brian Walker on R3 or a read of his many articles in the local press regarding Air Pollution in HK may bring some enlightenment without you having to resort to spending your money!

Shortly "well I don't have much time for quacks and cannot imagine why one would have more knowledge on this or many other topics than for example you and me." They might know a bit more than you matey because A) They are Doctors. B)They get lots of extra patients every month all due to the smog. All respiratory illnessess like I gained myself here in HK.

HK is a great place to live (outside Disco that is) and I want to stay for a while myself. Face facts though guys, it is not knocking HK per se, it is dealing with a disadvantage, same as the gross pollution from the Pearl River in the sea's round HK. As I said Brian Walker MD, R3, SCMP or internet will give details. But again there is no telling some people!:E

shortly
8th Sep 2004, 10:02
fat&furious. You are one of the many unenlightened folk who still rate the medical profession as being hippocratic and professional. Me, and many others see the majority of them as more hypocritic and plain greedy. Just because some celebrity quack espouses an opinion doesn't make it in any way a fact in my book. None of my feelings towards what is now a lesser profession affects my annual in any way, although I am not afraid to question and query some of these 'experts' results. Take two aspirin fat and call me in the morning, oh you will have to use my mobile because I'll be playing golf.

christep
8th Sep 2004, 10:46
Again, we'll have to agree to differ. For the record (as my profile says) I am not pilot - just a humble bit of SLF. I'm not against visiting docs/hospitals per se - but in the last 15 years I have only needed to do so twice - once for a skiing injury to my knee, and once for a finger dislocated playing cricket. I am in the fortunate position that I haven't been ill beyond one or two minor doses of flu & colds in that period (and I don't feel the need to visit a doctor for them).

HotDog
8th Sep 2004, 13:13
Pollution or not, Hong Kong is a unique place and brings out the worst and the best of many esteemed professionals in the medical, judicial and not to mention, aviation disciplines. I really don't know why I left the place after residing there for thirty three years:confused:

fat&furious
8th Sep 2004, 13:31
Thankyou both, one for calling me unenlightened and the other for grace to differ, Shortly I must obviously respect your judgement on "my enlightenment" as I would not dare pass judgement on your goodself without meeting you first!

Your book may well be full of your own facts, however when things start to go wrong for you medically and you have to deal again with doctors, to query them then may be the last thing on your mind. You may find them caring, concerned, and very helpful. Christep you have not by your own admission visited them in 15 years (except when you had to) yet somehow you can pass fair judgement on them and dispense facts on medical findings! I have my own personal experiences medically here in HK.

Again to Shortly, I hardly feel after you have made your own assumptions public about medical professionals, and also made a rather poor joke at their expense and mine that I shall wish to phone you at any time. Enjoy your day out, I hope you loose a few balls as I feel you may already have too many for your own good.:hmm:

By the way the air is still heavily polluted and the seas arriving on the shores at HK are disgusting. But of course we may differ on these facts. HK is a wonderful city but has her knickers down around her ankles in a few subjects.:sad:

fire wall
8th Sep 2004, 16:07
shortly, on previous topics I have agreed with your point of view but on this one you don't have a bloody clue what you are talking about so try sitting on your hands for a bit and listen to others express an opinion.

To others, the visible pollution is one thing but a quick analysis of the fine particle content (and most alarmingly the heavy metal content) is certainly enough to keep my kids away from HK and me running in the gym rather than outside.

shortly
8th Sep 2004, 16:11
Good one fat. Notwithstanding the posts I would be more than happy to share a convivial cold one or a chat with you. My dislike of the medical profession comes from personal experience, not me but a close family member got the wrong end of the pineapple with eternal consequences. I have been under the knife here in Honkers and can recommend a superb surgeon should you, God forbid, ever need one. The opportunity to express differing opinions is good isn't it? I think none the less of you despite your 'unenlightenment'. Lets talk about democracy for Hong Kong, that should be a good thread.
best regards, Shortly

fat&furious
10th Sep 2004, 03:33
Shortly, fair enough! Opinions do differ (and can be changed) that is what makes us all different, thank goodness.

Democracy is also driven by differing opinions and should it ever come to fruition in HK then it may be the saviour of our and HK's environment. From air to sea to Super Prisons and the paving over of the greatest individual feature of this city it's natural harbour.
We should be able to vote to remove this city from the back pocket of centralised business monopolies aka the present government run by Chun Kee Tw@t.
Then like the smog that I can see ruining the views again today from my office overlooking the harbour, it's going to need a strong breeze to dislodge that thick, slow moving sludge (and the smog)!:E

HardRock
15th Sep 2004, 13:55
Can't argue with the numbers.

http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/eindex.php