PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS September and October course dates !!!!

smoothitaliano
7th Sep 2004, 08:07
Ciao to all of you PPRUNER's!

Longtime listener, first time poster!
I was wondering if anyone had any news regarding QANTAS courses for the near future?

I believe that there is going to be a A330 course starting on the 20th of September, and a 743 course on the 21st. Does anyone know if there is a 744 course coming up this month also? and any news about October!

I am (like many others it seems) waiting for that elusive phone call!!!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

jetjunkie
11th Sep 2004, 15:24
G'day all....just trying to gather some info as to what is going on at QF Recruitment at the moment.I just got a letter in the mail thanking me for updating my file but that my "expect progress after AUG 2004" has now been changed to "expect progress after DEC 2004"...i read on another thread that another poor sod who initially got a "expect progress after SEPT 2004" got a call and was offered a slot in J*asia noting that he would not see employment with QF for at least another 12mths.....now all this waiting(read daydreaming) has thus far been worthwhile but know I'm a little confused.Has there been a change in requirements for Direct Entry Pilots (ie slowdown)..or a cadets taking up all of the remaining slots for the rest of the year or is the swithing of 767's to domestic and 330's to intnl and hence internal crewing(SO) shuffling the cause of this....would appreciate some insight to anyone of you guys in the know.

In the meantime back to daydreaming.

Cheers:ok:

smoothitaliano
16th Sep 2004, 12:59
Does anyone else have anything to add to the life long QF Question? anyone hear anything for OCT? as SEPT looks locked away.....

ciao

newbe200
17th Sep 2004, 00:58
see QANTAS Busy thread on same forum, exactly the same question smooth man :ok: :ok:

smoothitaliano
17th Sep 2004, 09:06
hmmm newbe200,

I would have thought this thread, and its title, was a little bit more specific that the QANTAS busy thread.....As this thread is about start dates, that you, me, and half the others on pprune seem to be waiting on.....

To my mind the QANTAS busy thread is more to do with "what can you guys tell me to help me in the SIM / PANEL interview...."

So if anyone does have any juice on this topic, post here... per favore ;) grazie mille!

capisce! ;)

smoothitaliano
21st Sep 2004, 04:05
Ok, so September course's are go, as of yesterday and today! what is the talk for October.....

Jiminny
21st Sep 2004, 19:57
For the record new starts for this month were:

20th 4 x 747 Classic, and
21st 2 x A330 (assuming two 767 reassignments also)

All new starters were direct entry with Sydney basings.

Everybody you talk to keeps saying about 100 pilots per year for a couple of years (world changing events aside), which equates to the other often quoted figure of 6-10 pilots per month (8 this month including reassignments). The company word is that if it could be done the intakes would happen at a faster rate - resources to train people are the rate limiting factor. As they say in the shampoo add .... it won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Roll on October, November, December ........... Hang in there!:ok:

Angle of Attack
23rd Sep 2004, 00:17
Just for your info, re asking about cadets, just note that there will be no cadets starting courses for the next 18 months, it will be all direct entry. This is not saying they arent taking cadets but they have just started the 2 year industry experience program 6 months ago, so theres going to be a delay of 18 months before they start coming back from that and commence courses. cheers.

smoothitaliano
26th Sep 2004, 08:52
With the new week upon us, it's that time of the month! :p :p
No, not THAT time of the month, but the time when QF are looking to set next months courses.....
Lets hope it is a full complement of 743 744 and 330 courses :) with 12 guys and girls in total!

Does anyone know anything at this early stage?

Ciao....

happydriver
11th Oct 2004, 01:13
Sorry guys.....but its about that time of the month again.

So rumuor away:E

*Lancer*
11th Oct 2004, 01:34
Still relatively strong indication of significant promotion on the 767 mid next year, most of which will come from the S/O ranks. However, it's likely to include a large contingent of ex-767 S/Os if they can be kept busy until then. At the moment there is a shortage of S/Os on the -400 and its only getting worse (asking for granted leave back etc). There aren't any circulating rumours of initial training slowing down in the near future.

Best of luck! :ok:

newbe200
11th Oct 2004, 11:25
So are we to assume there is no OCT course??

Capt Stabbin
11th Oct 2004, 15:34
744 and 330 courses on Nov3 :cool:

shadow1
12th Oct 2004, 02:36
Capt Stabbin,
Are those courses approved or awaiting approval - were you given a start? Any idea of numbers?

IORRA
12th Oct 2004, 08:09
Quite a bit of 744 recruitment being brought forward, as Stabbin has indicated. Not sure about 330/747 requirements.

Good luck to all those waiting!

Gods Kitchen
12th Oct 2004, 09:52
Sounds Good. Fingers Crossed. Good Luck To Everyone.:ok:

happydriver
17th Oct 2004, 03:08
So no one got a call last week then???.....

just trying to keep this thread on the first page..sorry guys:E

smoothitaliano
20th Oct 2004, 09:46
got THE call this morning from QF HQ!

2nd NOV start date SYD basing, but no info on the aircraft type....

I know of 1 other, who else is out there with the big grin!! :D:D:D:D

PS anyone willing to guess on the aircraft type????

ciao

happydriver
20th Oct 2004, 14:11
Bravo smooth italiano..goof for you mate!!!!!....I'm sure your glad that the waiting game is finally over for you...just a q though how long have you waited since doing the ref checks and so forth...

Cheers:ok: :ok:

tyga78
21st Oct 2004, 10:16
G'day Happy Driver,
Just to keep things in perspective, I haven't got a call but have been on AC for 2 years, 2 medicals, 2 security checks. Still no elusive phone call however. :(

happydriver
21st Oct 2004, 10:35
tyga 78,

that does put things into perspective!!!!......care to share as to why they've put you on hold for so long??..surely if someone such as yourself has waited for two years the gals in recruitment would give you a call and maybe share some information with you...:confused: :confused:

tyga78
21st Oct 2004, 10:40
I was hoping you may be able to shed some light on the subject. QF recruitment...... the 8th wonder of the world. Work for one of the regionals. Have done for 3 years.
Everything through to stage 4 happened reasonably quickly till the iraq war and sars hit and now I'm waiting.....

smoothitaliano
22nd Oct 2004, 08:11
Ok, Had ref checks in Aug 04......

good luck to all!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

anyone else out there with a call? and ideas for the course types etc?

newbe200
22nd Oct 2004, 08:13
heard the first nov was for the classic and second nov for the 400.

well done smoothy, might see you there:ok:

nb20

Ibex
22nd Oct 2004, 12:57
tyga78

Do you happen to work for a qantas regional?

Gods Kitchen
22nd Oct 2004, 23:25
Is working for a Qantas Regional a Bad Thing????

I know of someone who was on the hold file for mainline and was asked to go to Eastern for a year. They said it wouldn't effect his spot in mainline. Any ideas.

Out

PS - He had never applied to Eastern

tyga78
22nd Oct 2004, 23:39
Gday Ibex

To answer your question. No.

Ibex
23rd Oct 2004, 03:32
Is working for a Qantas Regional a Bad Thing????

Not a bad thing at all.

But the perception and perhaps the evidence, seems to be that if your aim is Qantas mainline then you are restricting your chances by working for any of the Qantas regionals.

Who said something about the 8th wonder...?

smoothitaliano
24th Oct 2004, 09:08
Ciao newbe200~~!

are you on the 2nd of nov course!!! looking like a big one!!!!

newbe200
26th Oct 2004, 12:57
Ciao to you. How many do you know of so far on the nov2 course and is there a nov 1 or 3 course?? This should answer your aircraft Q's!

smoothitaliano
26th Oct 2004, 13:34
Well newbe200, I have heard that some are starting on the the 28th 29th October being this thursday and friday, and also the 1st and the 2nd of Nov also.... so if you know anything, let us all know, as I have no idea at all what this will mean for aircraft types.

history seems to indicate a classic course in the first day or days, (28th??) but what of the large 744 course?

anyhow any other QF types out there with the info?

I have heard of a few on the 2nd, and so far only 2 for the 1st.... so whats yours?

newbe200
26th Oct 2004, 21:02
and what of the A330? Is that playing any part?

have not heard of starts this week. If I tell you when I am starting then you might work out who I am. Rest assured, it wont be too hard to find you, there cant be too many Italians starting on the 2nd!

Oh and what a big smile I have had on my face this week

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

cheers
nb20:ok:

Might come and look for you:ok:

happydriver
27th Oct 2004, 09:11
I envy you bast*rds that have courses coming up next week....can only imagine what your weekend will be like.....:E :E ....while i'll just continue to drink/party for no specific reason...but seriously good luck guys...sure i hope i get to see you soon.:ok:

newbe200
27th Oct 2004, 10:36
hey, I am not a Basta*d. and what a weekend I will have, that is for sure:D :D :cool:

feel like an old shark for saying this now, but hang in there mate, the call comes when you least expect it and it absolutely floors you.

cheers
nb20:ok:

RPPT
29th Oct 2004, 00:38
Word on the street is that the Classic crs has been cancelled and those who were to be on it will now go to the 744 (Nov 01 start date?). This is just a rumour..........so don't blame me if it doesn't eventuate.

But if this is true and it affects you, I'd be be buying another bottle of champagne!

RPPT
29th Oct 2004, 06:06
No longer a rumour - it's official.

No more trg on the 747-300......at least for the time being.

C-FTR
29th Oct 2004, 07:59
Congratulations to all those starting courses in Nov, any updates on course numbers, acft types etc would be greatly appreciated by the rest of us waiting out on the hold file. It sounds like they have at least made a small dent in the hold file ....

Keg
29th Oct 2004, 11:37
As per RPPT's comments, unconfirmed reports of S/O classic training stopping to re-train on the 744. Suggestions are that this could be related to the recent news of looking at newer and more efficient aircraft.

My guess is 744 and A330 training only for the short to medium term with 777 courses in the longer term! :}

(I have absolutely nothing to base that on other than my own gut feeling!) :E

*Lancer*
29th Oct 2004, 15:07
I think Keg has a good gut!

RPPT
29th Oct 2004, 23:22
Yes, I hope Keg has a good gut too! The que to get on the triple-7 will be long and distinguished.

Anyway, for C-FTR and others in his/her position, here are a few things that might make the future seem a little brighter.

767 training (both seats) is expected to re-new mid next year.
737 training (both seats) has ramped up again in recent months, although not to the levels of a year or two ago.
As has been widely exposed in recent press releases, the company is looking at new acft types/purchases.

But that is of right now. What the plan is at COB on Monday arvo, well who knows!

So hang in there.:)

smoothitaliano
30th Oct 2004, 01:14
ok so after all the smoke and mirrors, it is looking like 744 yesterday (friday) 744 monday and A330 is the educated guess for the tuesday for newbe200 and myself ;)

those poor classic boys and girls after 7 weeks to restart on the 400 :O

ciao

newbe200
30th Oct 2004, 02:24
hey, i never said i was starting tuesday

bonvol
1st Nov 2004, 07:46
Don't feel too sorry for them Smoothitaliano.

The Classic training for PUIT's has been the undoing of some recently. It is a hybrid type with all the associated idiosyncrasies, not to mention you have the panel to contend with as well.

Going on the Bus or the 400 is a much better option in the long run.

Capt Fathom
1st Nov 2004, 09:41
A persons undoing is generally self inflicted. It has nothing to do with what aircraft type they are assigned to.

bonvol
1st Nov 2004, 11:46
Except in Qantas.

RPPT
1st Nov 2004, 21:38
Maybe, just maybe, bonvol is making reference to the course (ie. syllabus, intructors, training aids, scheduling etc.) and not the acft type as such.

Funny how someone can be deemed suitable by a recruiting section (in a highly competitive market) and then a few weeks/months later, be deemed unsuitable. Granted, a training failure may well be due to the individuals shortcomings. But rather than looking at the individual for self inflicted reasons, maybe the system (recruiting, training) should scrutinize itself initially.

But I digress. This forum is to pass on recent info regarding recruiting trends and news at Qantas.

bonvol
1st Nov 2004, 22:44
Yeah, thats what I was getting at. Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

DirectAnywhere
1st Nov 2004, 23:12
Sorry bonvol, I'll hijack for a bit then!!Going on the Bus or the 400 is a much better option in the long run.
Financially you're correct(!) but in other regards I'd have to respectfully disagree. The systems grounding and situational awareness that comes from flying an aircraft with an engineer and no VNAV provides a much better long term grounding, although initially longer and more difficult learning curve, than any other type.

Also interesting to see that the company wants fleet pay now for S/O's, although I'm sure the -400 will still come out ahead with overtime etc. thrown in.

RPPT
2nd Nov 2004, 01:22
Digressing again...........

I see your point DirectAnywhere, but with the remainder of the fleet all using VNAV (and whatever Airbus use), and all future acft using VNAV, I think your point is mute. For mine, a tenure as a S/O on a 744, 767 or A330 is just as educational and helpful as that of a stint on the 747. There are vagaries to the use of VNAV that are just as important to learn as being able to mentally 'build' a descent profile. VNAV is hardly a perfect system and seeing it's pitfalls as an S/O is invaluable. And if VNAV doesn't work, get the perf manual out. That's what it is there for.

Poto
2nd Nov 2004, 21:24
December, Janurary ,onwards courses anyone? anyone?:confused:

removalist
4th Nov 2004, 11:01
Evening Folks,

From the source, apparently 16 on next month, and courses scheduled every month till mid-next year, with no thoughts of stopping!!! *

So good news for those a waitin.....good luck to all

cheers

*Subject to change at any time

RPPT
5th Nov 2004, 23:10
It would appear that 8 TSO's started this week (week beginning 01Nov) - 4 to the 744 and 4 to the A330.

C-FTR
9th Nov 2004, 09:04
Thanks to those who recently posted info regarding prospects for future courses .... Anyone actually received placement on the December course yet?

Poto
13th Nov 2004, 05:50
Calls have gone out for December. Congrats to all that received one:ok:
Not sure how many slots though. :confused:

IORRA
13th Nov 2004, 07:21
Supposedly sustained, monthly recruitment until mid next year at the very least (as stated earlier in this thread) - plenty on the 744, and (I'd assume) the 330. No official word on 747 recruitment, but my gut feeling is 'not right now'.

Best of luck to all involved. And out of interest, what are the Dec start dates?

IORRA

happydriver
13th Nov 2004, 08:10
Good news....wih so many courses planned over the next 6 months or so...is it safe to say that everyone who has gotten in the hold pool will actually get a go....or is that just wishfull thinking on my part!;)

mase
16th Nov 2004, 11:04
Course starting 30 November. No idea on type just that I'm on it. Good luck to all:O

happydriver
16th Nov 2004, 13:32
Congrats Mase!!!!...an earlier than expected Xmas for you.:ok:
So how long had you been waiting for???..if I could so boldly ask.

Listening Watch
20th Nov 2004, 01:03
Happydriver have you had ref checks done?

Who else is still waiting for ref checks after having completed the rest of the process this year??

I completed the recruitment process in may but no ref checks so far.

Qantas have called me twice since then and have mentioned that recruitment remains steady with possible future progression.

I would assume ref checks get done farily soon prior to employment and depends on competitiveness.

LW

happydriver
20th Nov 2004, 14:26
LW....I had my ref checks done back in May....then got a letter saying that my file may progress after Aug and to update accordingly in Aug...after I updated my file in Aug I then got a letter in Sep saying my file may progress further after Dec.....and to uodate accordingly in Dec but unlike you the ladies in recruitment have never given me a ring about anything so go figure...mystery and mysery this whole waiting game...I'm just about at the point that I dont mind which way it goes...I JUST NEED CLOSURE!!!.....move on if be it...I'm sure there also alot of other guys and gals who feel the same way...(but I'd still love it if they gave me the nod!!!!:E :E :{ :{

newbe200
20th Nov 2004, 22:24
mate, some people have been on hold for two years!!

and where for art thou smoothitaliano. i think i know you now but not quite sure

Gods Kitchen
21st Nov 2004, 00:02
Some even longer...........

mase
21st Nov 2004, 11:38
HappyDriver. Had my ref checks done in September after sim in August. This is second time around for me after 2 year absence. Also had a start date with Cathay which may have helped.;)

happydriver
24th Nov 2004, 00:17
Mase.....so you told QF that you'd been offered a job at CX.:E

The Gimp
24th Nov 2004, 04:06
See Birdy I told you it wasn't me.

RPPT
4th Dec 2004, 22:12
A relatively large intake towards the end of November - 12 TSO's to the 744 and 4 to the A330.

Pin Head
9th Dec 2004, 20:24
Just out of interest, what sort of expereince do you guys and girls have. Is it true you start on $120000 as an SO (cruise pilot) on the 744.

Regards

Pin

Tuner 2
10th Dec 2004, 07:11
Pin Head, no, it's not true.