PDA

View Full Version : who/what/where/when/how?

becki_wynn_werninck
6th Sep 2004, 19:10
hello!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to move to london and I hope to get a job in te aviation industry. I'm half way through my PPL, and I wondered if anyone can recomend the kind of jobs I should go for? Or where I should apply? I've got a few websites I've looked at, (including this one) does anyone know some good'uns for beginners in the wonderful world of flying?
Please help! I've been told that all of you are very lovely people!:D

Becki :ok:

Jinkster
8th Sep 2004, 14:55
Becki,

Check your PMs

Jinkster

Straightandlevel80kt
9th Sep 2004, 21:59
Hi Becki

Obvious question... what do you want to do? It's a small industry, but the variety is huge.

I'm assuming you want a flying job?

If you're young, what about fast jets in the RAF? Fast jets or slow jets, or no jets at all, I reckon the forces are the best way to go these days. Saves on all the heartache and debt, and you end up in a good flying job in civilian life afterwards anyway!

I think just focus on your PPL and making sure you've got enough cash to stay current once you qualify. Have a chat with your instructor and get a feel for what's out there.

It's a very different thing flying for your PPL - which is hugely enjoyable - than working in Commercial aviation - which can be a pain in the proverbial, so I hear!

All the best, whatever you decide.

Mooney12
10th Sep 2004, 08:33
I reckon the forces are the best way to go these days. Saves on all the heartache and debt,

This is not true.

errr Have you been looking at the news recently? Do you know anyone joining the RAF at the minute? Its in bad shape:

- Due to defense cuts the RAF have mostly frozen pilot recruitment at the moment.
- Fast Jet squdrons have been cut to pieces in the last defense cuts (overall the RAF is losing approx 7000 people)
- The RAF training system is in a mess. All you will do for years and years is "hold". Currently there is a years wait to get into Initial Officer Training, which is now going to last 9 months. After you finish that another 18 month hold is on the cards etc.. it goes on like this..
- ANother thing. The RAF have changed things so that if you fail any stage of pilot training, you wont be re-streamed, but chopped pilot forever. My mate went fast jet, finished the elementary flying training course (110hrs), then went to basic fast jet training and completed that, then went onto advance training and passed that on the Hawk. He then went onto the Tornade GR4 operational conversion unit and failed a stage. He was chopped pilot alltogether. It took him years to get to that point (now thats heartache!!!)

Have a look at the military aircrew forum. It makes for depressing reading!!

The commercial industry is in better shape than that.

scroggs
10th Sep 2004, 09:05
While the RAF is having a hard time of it, these issues have existed before and will be resolved - until the next big defence cuts! When I joined the RAF (in 1977), the training system at that time had a similar 'fail and you're out' philosophy, as we were losing hundreds of aircraft at the time. Holding was common. Within two years things were all sorted; in fact, anyone who could walk and whistle was accepted for pilot!

It is inevitable that as the training system adjusts to the demands of a smaller front line, things will get a bit out of kilter. It's surprising how quickly the RAF is able to rebalance the system, and I would guess that by the end of next year the recruiting and training outputs will be pretty close to what they were a year or so ago.

As for the flying, it is fantastic and shouldn't be missed, if you have an opportunity to go that route!

Scroggs

Mooney12
10th Sep 2004, 11:16
I agree the flying would be fantastic. Even my UAS flying was fun. However its not just a flying job, but a life(one I think I would have really enjoyed actually - happy hour on a Friday ;)) I also liked the whole "defend the crown and country" aspect.

Just at my age (22) I did't think the RAF was viable (I may be 30 before Im operational), so I chose CTCMcAlpine instead (flying a big jet in 18months). However in a few years time I bet it will probably have adjusted somewhat, so worth a go. However the opportunities for Fast Jet are limited (all my UAS mates are going helicopter, no matter how well they did in eft)!:

becki_wynn_werninck
10th Sep 2004, 14:49
Thankyou muchly for your help! the RAF is something that I do not want to join! not my cup of tea (despite parents trying to send me away to it!!)
I'm going to book an appointment with the Royal Aeronautical society society (they're sending me info on that soon
:D )
I am LOVING the PPL. I got a scholarship for 15 hours last year, and it was so good! (plus not paying for it was quite a bonus!) Sadly funds ran out for a year, but I had another lesson the other day, and I hadn't forgotten too much! :) I'm doing the Met' exam on saturday....tommorrow....:ooh: