PDA

View Full Version : Rotation of the Earth

walianboy
6th Sep 2004, 13:10
Probably been asked before so apologies for not browsing the forums for a couple of hours before posting but a drink is riding on the answer!

Basically I want to know whether the rotation of the earth has any effect on flight times? All flights are flown through the troposphere right... does the troposphere rotate with the earth?

Personally I would have thought that you would get to our destination quicker flying westward but I really don't have a clue and it's been a pub question for a couple of nights now.

Any replies would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

keithl
6th Sep 2004, 13:24
If the trop. didn't rotate with the earth the windshear would be eyewatering!

Milt
6th Sep 2004, 13:39
Fly east from Sydney and you are soon arriving before you left !

We lose a day's pay going that way and make it up on the way back.

Vee One...Rotate
6th Sep 2004, 14:18
As an earlier post said the atmosphere must rotate with the Earth or terrific wind shears would occur :(

Of course, this motion of the atmosphere with the Earth is like a drift velocity i.e. the mean motion of the atmosphere is with the Earth. The random movement of molecules and wind is superposed on top of this, giving local conditions.

Thus the absolute time between points is not dependent on the direction in which the aircraft flies in this respect.

V1R :ok:

cringe
6th Sep 2004, 14:26
walianboy,

This might help:

Wind and Earth Rotation (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0117.shtml)

Green Guard
6th Sep 2004, 15:20
Oh Boy

Good question. I wish to know where is that pub.
Just to help you, think why nobody sends spacecraft into orbit towards west i.e. a sunset.

Roughly the only difference is the weight of the flying object that will vary due to different centrifugal force as a result from difference in the total of ground speed + long. vector of speed of rotation. This vector is zero if you fly north south, or if you above north or south pole.
So Concorde was little lighter (with the same weight) coming back home, while ordinary jets flying from MIA to LHR may be lighter just under 1 %.

Milt RTFQ.

Vee One...Rotate
6th Sep 2004, 15:28
Green Guard,

Not sure what you're getting at???

V1R