PDA

View Full Version : accomodation needed in Darwin

aero979
6th Sep 2004, 11:44
gday all,

Ive decided today to head north and settle in Darwin hoping that I'll be in the right place for work when it comes up. Does anyone know of any accomodation available ( room plus furniture ), or know a place where I would look for share accomodation?

Ill be heading up at the end of September. For the moment I happy just to get up there, get to know the place and settle in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!:O

Capt Claret
6th Sep 2004, 14:36
Aero,

Saturday's & Wednesday's NT News are the best for accom. Plenty of share accom usually. I think around $100/wk or up would be average, but having been out of the market for some years I could be leading you up the proverbial.

Mrs Claret has a 1BR, airconditioned unit, a 5minute walk from the Smith St Mall (CBD centre), on The Esplanade, 5 minute crawl from Lizzards (Bar & Grill), just off the pub/cafe strip (Mitchell St). Fridge & washing machine provided. Can provide basic kitchen utensils and crockery.

Not sure what rent she's asking but between $160 & $180 at a guess.

Bagot_Community_Locator
6th Sep 2004, 22:54
I suggest you try the Bagot Community.

It is a small friendly close knit community of people and just the right place for itinerants (people like you).

It is situated right in the middle of suburbia Darwin and close to everything. It is just down the road from the airport and so very convenient for any pilot.

It is actually on the main road between town and the Northern suburbs/Casuarina shopping complex with its own bus stop and good transport links to all over Darwin.

I believe it even has its own take away food store with. There are maybe also a few pay phones on site/on the main road so you can ring up for jobs.

For those athletes, the complex even includes tennis/basketball courts with night lighting.

The local women their are also very friendly so you'll never be lonely. :ok:

This would be the perfect introduction to the Territory.

Accomodation is fairly cheap, as you can shack up with the locals for maybe a carton or beer otherwise you can just camp out anywhere in the open.

It even has a locator beacon named after it, so you'll be reminded of the good old Bagot Community everytime you fly.

I suggest you give the Bagot Community a try.

;)

aero979
6th Sep 2004, 23:07
thanks for the replies

ill check the nt news this week
as for the bagot community and camping out, thanks but i kinda prefer a bed, in a room with furniture and stuff
done enough camping now

if any pilots up that way know of anything coming up keep me in mind

Bagot_Community_Locator
6th Sep 2004, 23:45
You don't have to camp outside at the Bagot Community if you don't want to.

Just drop in anyway, meet the locals and see if any of them got a room for you.

It is situated on Bagot Road in Ludmilla and shouldn't be too hard find.

It is a well known establishment in Darwin and worth looking into anyway.
:ok:

victor two
7th Sep 2004, 02:17
aero 979

Check your PM's. Might be able to assist.

cheers

vh-oja
9th Sep 2004, 11:19
aero and any others looking for a pad in Darwin,

Will have room in a furnished house 3k's from the Airport opening up this weekend, prefer to rent it to pilot over anyone else (supermodels excepted :p ) $130 a week, pm me if you are interested,

oja

tinpis
10th Sep 2004, 03:26
Aero if you are insane check the Bagot community.
I would advise you check into a smaller hotel for a week or two to get the hang of the joint.
Livng in the city area is IMHO the only way to go.The suburbs can be howling dogs/subhumans and heartbreak over the latest break in.
Try the Capricornia, Golf Links hotel or the Baramundi lodge none of them flash but they are in city Fanny bay area

Hasselhof
10th Sep 2004, 03:52
The city is good, but I lived in Nightcliff on Casuarina Drive for over a year and reckon there aren't many places better in Darwin. Its close to the airport, water, shops, pool, some of the best year round markets and its still pretty cheap to get a taxi back there after a hard night at the cav. (Oh, and crawling distance from the Arafura)

Most share places I saw there were about $100 - $130 a week, just avoid the bedsitters next to the pool.

QUEEN OF HEARTS
10th Sep 2004, 06:51
Get your self a place right in the heart of twon somewhere like Stuart Park or even better in Darwin itself that way you don,t have carry your shopping very far and even better when you go out on the frog and toad!*#$^% you wont even need to pay for a cab, what ever you do don't drive I did this back in the late 90's and it cost me heaps in Petrol,repairs, accomdation, Travel light,

Don't expect to get a gig for a fair while,I know this may be dissapointing but thats the way it is,however you heading up at the right time, thats of course if you have your IFR as well.

I stayed at the Darwin City Lodge dont know If it still exisit but it was right down the end of mitchell street exstension near Fanny Bay and the Uni, pretty average but ok for a cheap place untill you get your bearing, dont expect 4 star but it good because if you stay in aviation and end up in other place,like PNG you be use to ruffing it! and living it a share house.

Get you your cab licence as soon as you can call the guys at the MRV in Fanny bay that way guess what! Suprise, You have a Car be it a Taxi, nothing stopping you doing you shopping between jobs and making money at the same time, or do your fork lift ticket ussually pays $17hrs might be some work on the warf with the shipping co!

Anyway best of luck.
DARWIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: You could also call the institute Bar at Darwin Airport and ask them to put a sign up on the notice board! see Ya!

T3000
22nd Sep 2004, 10:10
aero979 check PM's

centurionII
23rd Sep 2004, 03:18
Queen of Hearts.

RE: WORDS OF WISDOM.

Wisdom....Something you're lacking with the woeful spelling in your post!! :E

darren44
27th Sep 2004, 05:17
hey aero i moved to darwin last week and had nowhere to live,
i got hold of saturdays paper and moved into a place the same day, theres heaps of adds in there for share accomodation starting from about $80 a week, depends on what you want to pay and where you want to live and weather you need transport or not.

best of luck....you coming up hunting for a job too like me?

tinpis
27th Sep 2004, 06:36
:{

Ah theer eny speling polese in Duhwin?

Chilli
28th Sep 2004, 05:21
Use the fork lift to carry you shopping between jobs. I bet you could pick up a few chicks with one of them

Capt L
28th Sep 2004, 09:22
Aero, I also found a place to live out of the NT News

Dazza, good to see another sandgroper heading up this way, there's not that many of us up here.

compressor stall
29th Sep 2004, 13:12
Don't be too quick in settling down...stay at a backpackers in town for a bit.

You can travel and savour the tastes :8 of the world from the comfort of your own bed. :E

See if you can go global in a week:

One from each continent. You can use the impossible continent (Antarctica) as a night off, and just get the other six. :ok:

aero979
9th Oct 2004, 02:23
thanks to all you legends who replied and gave me some valuable info
im in darwin now so anyone want to meet up??
have had a look at mitchell st, but need to know what the places are to go to and where to stay clear of

cheers!

Tempo
9th Oct 2004, 09:19
Places to go-Shags, Ducks Nuts, The Cav, The Frontier, The Winellie on a Friday afternoon for the 'show' out the back (The Parap also has a good show). Rourkes I hear is not going too well but it still has a good beer garden.

Places not to go.......the lost arc. I hate that damm place.

Then again-just get a couple of cartons and proceed to east point in the dry season-fantastic.

Cheers