PDA

View Full Version : Britannia incident at Southampton?

jetstream7
5th Sep 2004, 22:18
Any truth in this (the 'incident' at SOU yesterday)?

"In july I spent the day with BAA ops at LGW and G-BYAR, the back up 757 for Britannia had a left hydraulics failure and called full emergency. Then yesterday exactly the sam happened on its way to LTN but this time they had to divert to SOU. The aircraft casme down in the dirt just before the runway and slid to the end of the runway, being evacuated by slides. the aircraft then few back to LTN that evening but some passengers refused to fly on it and took Aurigney instead.
Is this aircraft really safe? With all these hydraulic failures, seems to me a bit dangerous and I wouldn't step foot on it,

This comes from http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1728248/ which I know is not necessarily a serious source, so a debunking would be fine... ;)

aeftutor
5th Sep 2004, 23:47
I think you will find that somebody is winding you up. This never happened at SOU.

Bally Heck
6th Sep 2004, 02:14
Alpha Romeo has been in Glasgow for at least the last three weeks. It is a very reliable aircraft with no history of technical faults. If you were going to divert anywhere in the UK in a 757, Southampton would be way down on the list, especially with BOH, LGW etc so close.

An incident of this kind on any aircraft, the press would be having a field day with shock horror death plunge stories.

Consider this rumour debunked:ok:

cargo boy
6th Sep 2004, 08:43
:} Airliners.net = Spotters Heaven. Where else would you get enough people gullible enough to believe this kind of nonsense. Oops, I hadn't though about the entire Tabloid reading population of this country and all 24 hour news reporters and anchor people. :rolleyes:

Harrier46
6th Sep 2004, 09:30
Granted this non-event is a load of rubbish but I would always stick up for the spotting community. With a few exceptions they are generally very knowledgeable and with their interest in and support for aviation are very unlikely to spread such scare stories. The press of course is another matter!
I find enthusiast web sites such as airliners.net invaluable for sourcing aircraft, checking histories etc. Far more information available there than on commercial sites.

Notso Fantastic
6th Sep 2004, 09:40
....but full of daft, gullible stories like that, which might just explain the heavy response in pprune when people try and spread nonsense like that here....to be met with howls of anguish!
Any idiot could see that an aeroplane that went through all that would not be 'flying back to Luton that evening', but would be carted off to Southampton Municipal Tip!

jetstream7
6th Sep 2004, 10:21
Guys...

Thanks for your responses

I hope that my doubt and scepticism concerning this story was evident in my first posting.

There was no intention of trying to 'spread any nonsense' - though I see no reason not to seek out additional information from other sources (i.e. Pprune) so that this report on an 'incident that never happened' can be effectively dismissed back at source.

Notso Fantastic
6th Sep 2004, 11:43
This 'Sam' who started this nonsense is quite simply an idiot. Apart from being a wholly fictitious incident besmirching the good name of an excellent airline, he then compounds the thing by making up garbage about passengers flying on Aurigny instead (to Luton?). What's he been smoking? Where do they get this nonsense? So when people who spread nonsense like this get strongly challenged about the veracity of the nonsense they spout, it should be understood that people should try and confirm FACTS before they attach airline names to non existent incidents or they will be most strongly pulled up.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Sep 2004, 12:41
This one is for the heap.

PPRuNe Pop
9th Sep 2004, 17:58
Actually, not just yet! ;)

The Invisible Man
9th Sep 2004, 18:15
Hi Jetstream,

Britannia did have a diversion the other evening due hydraulic problems. The left system fell to zero with subsequent EICAS messages. The aircraft diverted to Manchester where an uneventful landing was made.
Manchester was chosen because the standby/spare aircraft was there. Pax transferred and were able to continue the journey a few hours later.
The fault was traced to a left EDP supply line that had split, the pipe was replaced, and the aircraft became serviceable lunchtime the same day.

Hope that helps clarify the story..... I can make it more dramatic if you like, but it was really a non event.

Notso Fantastic
11th Sep 2004, 10:01
Couldn't you add a few !!!!!s and a reference to 'crash landing' and tyres 'blowing on touchdown' as the aeroplane got blown off the side of the runway just before touchdown? The '!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' really add a touch of drama to your very dry factual event!!!!!!!!!!