PDA

View Full Version : Which career path?

mikeshort101
4th Sep 2004, 16:06
Hi gents,

Just wondering if you can give me some help. At present I'm studying for my degree at University in Economics (Bsc), and am 20 years old. However, after finishing University, I am looking at a career in flying, and from what I understand, this place offers good advice to young, aspiring pilots, such as myself.

My brother is a F/O with a major airliner and informs me that there are two main options for me to follow, and as I like to plan ahead, am finding it difficult to get a range of different views on which option would be best suited for me.

Option 1 - CPL Course at a regional flight school (eg Cabair) following, if possible, into an ATP Academy scheme

Option 2 - The CTC-McAlpine Scheme

Option 1:

This option appeals to me somewhat, for several reasons.

1. It would be funded, mostly, by my parents and is perfectly reasonable for me to do so, financially.
2. It would mean I could be based at home, and given the hard nature of the ground schools, some home comforts would help get me through some difficult nights
3. I have a certain infrastructural resource, with my brother already in place at an airline, where he knows a lot of the right people. Surely this would work in my favour?
4. There wouldn't be an earnings duck like there is on the CTC-McAlpine Scheme.

However, there are some drawbacks that I see with this option.

1. There is no guarantee of employment off an ATP scheme
2. There is no guarantee I will get on an ATP scheme (how hard are they to get on out of curiosity?)
3. Perhaps it isn't as preferred as other schemes?

Option 2:

Pro's

1. Pretty much guaranteed job at the end of the course.
2. Knowledge that you'll be placed with an airline, and who the airline are from Day one.
3. The financial side is less damaging than option 1 (correct?) however, this isn't too much of an issue due to the help of my parents.

Any other pro's let me know.

Cons

1. Based away from home for around 9 months, which can be a long time on such a tough, and rigourous course.
2. I believe you get ducked pay for several years afterwards...Is this corrrect?
3. How hard is the course to get on?

Further context of my situation :

I have decent GCSE's, all A-B Grades. 3 A-Levels in Business, History and Physics @ Grades BBC. I'm studying a Bsc in Economics which is highly geared towards maths and also indicates a high level of rational thinking. I'm also the Vice President of the University Rowing club, and enjoy other team sports. I don't have any flying experience, however, I am as fully committed to this cause as one could be.

I like to plan ahead, and set myself ambitious, yet realistic goals. So, I'd like any opinions/advice you could offer me, on either which option to set my sites on, which ones you'd personally recommend, and any other general advice on my situation.

Thanks for your help :ok:

Mike

RPeagram
4th Sep 2004, 16:44
Good luck on either of your choices. However, consider the following.

1. To realise how hard it is in being selected for CTC read the very large thread on CTC selection. A rough estimate on pprune suggested the odds are 50 to 1.

2. Through pprune, but I can't remember which thread, someone with inside knowldge of the CTC sheme pointed out that their cadets certainly do not have almost guarnateed jobs. In fact, approximatly 60% did.

3. With regards to your question as to how hard is it to find employment after, for example, trainaing at Cabair the catch-22 situation is this. You finish with 250 hours. Employers want 500-1500 hours. You will also look more unattractive if you do not have a Type Rating. According to pprune, but don't quote me on any of the above (or below), the best bet, after Cabair, would to become an instructor to build hours. Your would otherwise need a very lucky break on the lcc such as Ryanair, easyjet, etc.

In short, everyones chances are very low. However, if you have the flying bug could you live your life with the burning question: "Just what would have happened if I tried?".

mikeshort101
4th Sep 2004, 22:07
Hmm, not the kind of encouraging reply I was maybe looking for. But its another view nontheless, and as such is appreciated.

Anyone else got any other thoughts?

Don't discount the infrastructure element. I'm a resourceful chap!;)

Is it also worth having a few flying lessons on the cheap off contacts if available, just to have a bit more "registered enthusiasm" on my CV?

Cheers

MS